A single is a release of Music
that is shorter than an album, LP or EP
. Usually, a single will get the most Radio
airplay, and will be a band's most recognized work. Singles are usually filmed with music videos
. They are also probably the highest quality and most compact
of all music. Singles are in a bit of a cycle
becoming far more popular with the advent of digital music downloads again. Singles tend to be the dramatic begining
or the climatic ending
of an album.
- The Beatles had dozens of singles, a product of the early days of Rock & Roll. Among the most notable:
- "Love Me Do"
- "A Hard Day's Night"
- "Nowhere Man"
- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
- "Helter Skelter"
- Some of Coldplay's singles include "Yellow, "the Scientist", and "Viva la Vida".
- Foster The People had five singles on their album Torches, including "Pumped Up Kicks" and "Houdini".
- Nirvana's singles included "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Come As You Are", and "Heart-Shaped Box".
- The Rolling Stones have had many in a career on-going since 1964.