A single is a release of Music that is shorter than an album, LP or EP. Usually, a single will get the most Radio airplay, and will be a band's most recognized work. Singles are usually filmed with music videos. They are also probably the highest quality and most compact of all music. Singles are in a bit of a cycle becoming far more popular with the advent of digital music downloads again. Singles tend to be the dramatic begining or the climatic ending of an album.
- The Beatles had dozens of singles, a product of the early days of Rock & Roll. Among the most notable:
- "Love Me Do"
- "A Hard Day's Night"
- "Nowhere Man"
- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
- "Helter Skelter"
- Some of Coldplay's singles include "Yellow, "the Scientist", and "Viva la Vida".
- Foster The People had five singles on their album Torches, including "Pumped Up Kicks" and "Houdini".
- Nirvana's singles included "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Come As You Are", and "Heart-Shaped Box".
- The Rolling Stones have had many in a career on-going since 1964.
- Gullet Ballet: "Gutter Ballet" and "When the Crowds Are Gone".
- Streets: A Rock Opera: "Jesus Saves"
- Edge Of Thorns: "Edge of Thorns", "Sleep".
- Dead Winter Dead had four, including "Doesn't Matter Anyway", "Dead Winter Dead", and "One Child". "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24" was the biggest success the band had, played to this day during the Christmas season, and led to the creation of Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
- The Wake of Magellan: "Turns to Me"
- Poets and Madmen: "Commissar", the band's last single before their 2002 hiatus.