An Alternative Rock
band from Copenhagen, Denmark
. Less generally, they have elements of Baroque Pop
, Dream Pop
, Electronic Music
, folk, post-rock
and (with their newest album
) indie pop. It consists of Mads Brauer, Casper Clausen, Thomas Husmer, Rasmus Stolberg and (until 2007 he was part of the original line-up but now only performs with them sometimes
) Rune Mølgaard. They are probably best known for their song Mirador
(the Animated Music Video
of which has over a million views on YouTube
) and their recent free single Modern Drift
"Efterklang" means remembrance or reverberation (literally, it means "after sound"). They actually got the name from one of their electronic musician friends who was using the latter definition of "Efterklang"
to explain the technical concept.
- Frederik Teige (plays with them live)
- Peter Broderick (plays with them live and on Magic Chairs)
- Slaraffenland (has performed with Efterklang as the mash-up band Slaraffenklang)
- Springer (EP) (2003, re-released by The Leaf Label in 2005 and bundled with Tripper in 2010 as a Special Edition)
- Tripper (2004)
- Swarming (EP) (2005)
- One-Sided LP (EP) (vinyl) (2007)
- Under Giant Trees (EP) (2007, bundled with Parades in 2010 as a Special Edition)
- Mirador/Cutting Ice to Snow (promo-only single) (2007)
- Parades (2007, a live version recorded with the Danish National Chamber Orchestra called Performing Parades was also released in 2009)
- Caravan (EP) (2008)
- Modern Drift (single) (2010)
- Magic Chairs (2010)
- I Was Playing Drums/Me Me Me The Brick House (single) (2010)
- Raincoats (single) (2010)
- Ambient: All of their work pre-Parades had elements of this, even on Parades the song Illuminant still qualifies. Foetus, Doppelgänger and Tortuous Tracks are good examples from Tripper, Antitech and Filmosonic XL are good examples from the Springer EP and Hands Playing Butterfly is a good example from the Under Giant Trees EP.
- Adorkable: Casper Clausen. Witness his dancing in this video of Efterklang performing Step Aside live.
- Animated Music Video: Illuminant, Mirador and Polygyne.
- Deranged Animation: The Illuminant and Mirador videos.
- Design Student's Orgasm: A part of their general aesthetic.
- Dream Pop: They are signed to 4AD and their music does possess elements from the genre.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: The Springer EP. Casper Clausen has admitted that Efterklang started out sounding like a lot of other bands.
- Epic Instrumental Opener: Polygyne, among other songs.
- Epic Rocking: Naturally for a post-rock band. Kloy Gyn is their longest song at 8:01 minutes.
- Indecipherable Lyrics: Before Magic Chairs, this was intentional.
- Last Note Nightmare: Full Moon has a synthesized note that comes out of nowhere and greatly increases in volume during the last eleven seconds of the song, when it has seemingly finished. This immediately segues into The Soft Beating, one of Efterklang's happiest songs.
- Lonely Piano Piece: Mimeo
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Varies between 1 and 2.
- Monster Clown: The clown from the Caravan video tries to get children to kill each other. Awesomely, regardless.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly
- New Sound Album: Magic Chairs is more pop-y than Efterklang's previous albums.
- Ominous Music Box Tune: Frida Found a Friend
- Perishing Alt Rock Voice: Casper Clausen
- Porn Stache: Rasmus Stolberg
- Shout-Out: The Mirador video has one to M. C. Escher's Relativity.
- Soprano and Gravel: Collecting Shields
- Stop Motion: The Illuminant music video.
- Stuff Blowing Up: The Caravan music video has exploding presents.
- Surreal Music Video: The majority of Efterklang's music videos. Illuminant, though, takes the cake.
- Toothy Bird: The protagonist of the Mirador video.