Webcomic / Fontes' Rants
is a webcomic which primarily illustrates things the author (Fontes
) finds strange, funny, stupid, or downright infuriating in popular works of anime, comic books and video games, and even things he finds on DeviantArt
. It also has cheap laughs from time to time.
Recurring original characters include Fontes himself
, an unnamed Fangirl
, Tanooki the raccoon
, Fontes' friend Steven Worker, and Takeshi, Fontes' "son" by the Life Note
Currently hasn't updated in over a year
This work provides examples of:
- Ascended Extra: Luigi knocked out the Playstation Network with a Death Note, gave Sony the idea for a rear touchpad, and kicked Batman off a building.
- Ass Shove: Ever wonder how TMs work in Pokémon?
- Author Avatar: Fontes appears in the comic with characters such as Sora, Naruto, and Wolverine.
- Badass Normal: Who climbs faster?
: 'Tha hell? Did ya took the elevator, or something?! Ezio
: Silenzio, ragno! You now owe me fifty dollars.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Occasionally, but one comic was just Fontes looking at the reader, pointing down, saying "keep scrolling down". Turns out, he actually puts a rant under most of the comics, and apparently not many noticed.
- Combat Pragmatist: In one of Fontes' many Final Fantasy parodies. On the left, a Black Mage. On the right, a White Mage and a Fighter. The black mage starts to cast Firaga, when the white mage unloads a shotgun into his face.
: Ehm... dude, it was his turn. Fontes
: I don't fuckin'
- Concealment Equals Cover: Subverted; Fontes avoids Takeshi's gunfire by hiding behind a chair, then notes that Takeshi's guns only shoot "heavily compressed air".
- Cool vs. Awesome: Captain Falcon and Chuck Norris as Pokémon trainers.
Hitmonchan uses "Falcon Punch"!
Hitmonlee uses "Roundhouse Kick"!
- Didn't Think This Through: Fontes decided to use the Life Note to create an Ax-Crazy Marty Stu character. One broken nose and bout of unconsciousness later;
Fontes: ...I really shouldn't have made him able to summon firearms...
- Disproportionate Retribution: Fontes used the Life Note to create Ash Ketchum to catch Takeshi, but also used it to make Ash's blood turn to acid afterwards for a slow, agonizing death.
Fontes: ...I really hate him for leaving Charizard behind!
- Does This Remind You of Anything?:
: Oh, yeah, gimme those starbits! I can't hold it any longer!!!
- Fangirl: No name given (yet), she was in the very first strip obsessing over Inuyasha.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Fontes plays Skyrim.
- Highly Visible Ninja:
- Hypocritical Humor:
: You look like a queer, ya know?
- I'm a Humanitarian: Skyrim again.
- Improbable Weapon User:
: What?! What's so funny?! Fontes
: Just look at that thing!!! Sora
: ...? ...Aww, fuck
- Lampshading: Probably the main theme of the comic, actually.
- Mundane Utility: "Dai Gurren Dental Care". Yes.
- Power Glows, but may not be safe to use as a flashlight.
- The Power of Creation: The Life Note grants this to whoever uses it.
- Schedule Slip: Last updated 12th May, 2012.
- Stylistic Suck: How do you make fun of a gaming console with a stupid name? With an equally stupid comic strip.
- Team Pet: Tanooki.