Music / Eric B. & Rakim
The classic debut. L-R: Eric, Rak.
Eric B. & Rakim
RAKIM: "Cos I don't like to dream about gettin paid
So I dig into the books of the rhymes that I made
To now test to see if I got pull
Hit the studio, cos I'm paid in full"
, born, respectively, Eric Barrier
and William Griffin
, were a Rap
duo from Long Island, NY
who worked together from 1987 to 1992. They are best known for their songs "Paid in Full," "Microphone Fiend" and "I Ain't No Joke."The Other Wiki
has a good writeup about their career.Discography
The following tropes are paid in full:
- Answer Song: "Eric B. is President" started as this toward Janet Jackson's "What Have You Done for Me Lately," with two lines standing out as The Artifact of this idea.
"But now it's out of hand cuz you told me you hate me
And then you ask what have I done lately"
- Badass: Rakim, on the song "Know The Ledge"
- Big Applesauce: From "I Know You Got Soul":
"Now if you're from Uptown, Brooklyn- bound,
The Bronx, Queens, or Long Island Sound"
- Boastful Rap: "Pass the Hand Grenade," "No Competition"
- A God Am I: Rakim was known as the lyrical God.
- God-Is-Love Songs: "Move The Crowd"
All praises due to Allah
- The Golden Age of Hip Hop
- Hymn to Music: "Lyrics of Fury," "Microphone Fiend," "Keep 'Em Eager to Listen," etc. etc.
- Listeners Are Geniuses: "To The Listeners"
- The Leader: Rakim, on the song "Follow The Leader"
- Money Song: "Paid In Full"
- Only Known by Initials: "The R"
- Product Placement: From "Relax With Pep":
"Here come the right one baby and Dr. Pepper"
- Protest Song: "Casualties of War," rapped from the perspective of a soldier in The Gulf War, who had previously served in The Vietnam War.
- Recycled Lyrics: "It ain't where you from it's where you're at," which first appeared in "I Know You Got Soul," turned up later in "In The Ghetto."
- Sampling: Famously used Ofra Haza's "Im Nin'alu" on "Paid in Full"
- Serious Business: "I Ain't No Joke"
- Shout-Out: Received one in Stetsasonic's "Talkin' All That Jazz":
"Tell the truth, James Brown
'Til Eric and Rakim came out with 'I Got Soul'"
- Silly Love Songs: "Mahogany"
- Single Stanza Song: "Paid in Full"