Western Animation / Rocket Monkeys
The Rocket Monkeys — they're monkeys in space!
They try to be heroes, but they're easy to replace!
A Canadian animated television series created by Breakthrough Entertainment and Atomic Cartoons Inc., Rocket Monkeys
centers around brothers Wally and Gus, who are members of GASI
(Galactic Animal Space Institute), an organization focused on interplanetary explanation, assisted by their Robot Buddy
YAY-OK. Despite the brothers' intelligence and skill, or lack thereof
, they are usually the ones who end up saddled with whatever life-threatening missions their boss Dr. Chimpsky needs completed.
The show first aired on Teletoon
in Canada on January 10, 2013, then aired on Nickelodeon
in the United States in February and in the United Kingdom and Ireland in April. While Nickelodeon in the U.S would only air the first season
began airing the remaining two seasons on July 3, 2017.
This animated series provides examples of:
- Archnemesis Dad: YAY-OK's father seems to care for his son, but cares about destroying anything that moves more.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: In "Zombie Bananas", when Wally and Gus are attacked by Lord Peel's zombies they yell "Zombie baboons! Zombie gibbons! Zombie chrysanthemum!"
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: Usually played straight, though in "Monkey Hearts" when Monkevil is making her escape into space she's wearing a space suit and helmet.
- Catch-Phrase: "Poopy doopy" for Monkevil.
- Disguised in Drag: Nefarious's plan in "Princess Nefarious" is to disguise as a princess so someone will save him.
- Distinction Without a Difference: Pinky-Winky states that she's not a monster before saying that she's technically more of a beast.
- Eye Scream:
- In "Scare-Larious" Wally causes Gus to shoot toothpaste into his eyes. He then exclaims "It burns!" before calmly adding "But minty fresh."
- In "Bro to Bro" Wally shoots himself in the eyes with his goop gun. Twice.
- Idiot Hero: Wally and Gus. Gus is slightly smarter than his brother, keyword slightly.
- I Take Offense to That Last One!: In "Ukulele Wally" when Wally and Gus list Pinky-Winky's many faults, the only one she's offended by is that they called her sweaty.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Gus' only response to being split in half is that he needs a bandage.
- Michael Jackson's "Thriller" Parody: One in "Zombie Bananas".
- Mr. Seahorse: In "Monkeys vs. Gorillas" when the Space Gorillas call the Rocket Monkeys chicken Gus states that they're not... then suddenly lays an egg that hatches into a misshapen chick.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: The ending of "Home on the Strange"; the monkeys are sent to deliver cow-like creatures as food to a living asteroid, but they destroy it to save one creature that Wally had grown attached to. Said asteroid was the only thing keeping their population in check, so without it they quickly overpopulate and exhaust their food supply.
- Oh, Crap!: In "Zombie Bananas" this is Gus's reaction to seeing that Wally ate a crapload of the poisoned bananas that have been turning people into zombies.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Nefarious is kept at bay be being stuck on an asteroid.
- Sequel Episode: "Love on the Run" and "Monkey Hearts" have the episodes' plots connected with each other.
- Shout-Out: In "Trick or Trixie" when Wally demands that Inky paint something for him he gets a face full of ink that makes him look like Gene Simmons, complete with hanging tongue.
- Team Pet: Gus's pet space squid Inky.
- Theme Tune Cameo:
- The monkeys' mother and Lord Peel are heard listening to the show's main theme while rollerblading in "Not Lord Peel."
- In "Monkeys vs. Gorillas" Wally's arcade game-styled dream has an 8-bit rendition of the main theme playing.
- Torso with a View: When the monkeys accidentally shoot Chimpsky in the chest during a simulation, it leaves a hole exposing his heart.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Bananas (suprise, suprise) for the Rocket Monkeys. Their love for bananas are so powerful, that in "Destroy all Bananas" when Lord Peel gives them a lobotomy removing the part of the brain that makes them love Bananas, it can easily grow back with a bit of encouraging.