A trend in movie sequels that pops up frequently. The first one is good enough to warrant a sequel and in either the second or third installment the action takes place in a foreign country.
Depending upon why the characters are in a foreign country, this may turn out to functionally be a longer Vacation Episode
and/or a Busman's Holiday
if the characters end up doing the same thing abroad that they would do at home.
Anime & Manga
Film — Animation
- The third Digimon movie involves some of the Japanese Chosen Children meeting Wallace in the U.S.
- In K-On! the movie, the gang goes to England.
Film — Live-Action
- The Rescuers Down Under, set in Australia (natch).
- Rugrats in Paris
- An American Tail: Fievel Goes West: While technically still the same country there is a world of difference between the wild west and New York.
- Cars 2 takes McQueen, Mater and their friends out of Radiator Springs and across the globe, with stops in Tokyo, Paris, Italy and London.
- Madagascar: only the first movie takes place on Madagascar. In the two sequels the characters go to Africa, then to Europe.
- Ace Ventura 2: When Nature Calls takes place in Africa.
- The sequel to Agent Cody Banks was set squarely in London.
- A Good Day to Die Hard takes place in The New Russia.
- Annie A Royal Adventure takes place in England.
- Austin Powers In Goldmember is set in Japan.
- The Bad News Bears Go To Japan.
- Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason: London, Thailand, Australia
- The second Cheetah Girls Made-for-TV Movie takes place in Barcelona, while the third takes place in India.
- The Dark Knight has an extensive sequence in Hong Kong, which is further than Batman goes during Batman Begins, excluding the prologue.
- Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
- Dirty Dancing 2 takes place in Cuba.
- The 1975 softcore film Emmanuelle 2 begins with the lead character taking a boat trip to Hong Kong, where she stays as an expat for the rest of the film.
- "Hey Vern!! I went to Africa too, knowhutimean??"
- The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift.
- And again with Fast Five, which takes place in Brazil.
- Flodder in Amerika (America)
- The French Connection 2 has Popeye Doyle in France.
- Garfield: A Tail Of Two Kitties, which is set in London, where Garfield gets his life mixed up with that of an English cat.
- As part of the third series of Goodness Gracious Me, the cast recorded a "Back Where They Came From" special filmed in India.
- The Hangover Part II, which takes place in Thailand and includes the characters lampshading the fact that the same circumstances happened in a foreign country.
- The first two Hellraiser films take place in the United Kingdom. Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth is the first one to move the action to the United States.
- The Karate Kid Part II is set in Okinawa, Japan.
- French-Canadian film Les Boys 2 is set in a Hockey Tournament in France.
- French film Les Visiteurs had a sequel Les Visiteurs II, followed by a US Foreign Remake, Just Visiting. The remake was released in France as a semi-sequel, Les Visiteurs en Amerique.
- The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor is set in China.
- National Lampoon's European Vacation.
- Ocean's Twelve went to Europe, justified by the title gang being too high profile to work in the USA without raising alarms (Not that it stopped them in Ocean's Thirteen).
- By the time the third movie rolled around, most of the gang had settled down and those that still worked had gone straight.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End opens in Singapore
- And On Stranger Tides opens in London.
- Police Academy: Mission to Moscow.
- Rambo: The first film is set in the Northwestern United States. In the sequels, he's doing his battles in Asia.
- Rush Hour: Jackie Chan is a Hong Kong cop Fish out of Water in LA. Rush Hour 2 is set in Hong Kong - now his partner is the one out of water. Rush Hour 3 takes place in Paris, where they're both out.
- Sex and the City 2.
- Shaft In Africa is set in New Zealand
- Shanghai Knights, the sequel to Shanghai Noon, is set in London.
- A third installment, Shanghai Dawn, would have taken them to Russia but it never got made.
- Game of Shadows took Sherlock Holmes out of London and across the Continent.
- Speed 2: Cruise Control takes place in the Caribbean.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 ups the ante by taking place in ancient Japan. Of course they are ninjas.
- In 3 Ninjas Kick Back, the three ninjas and their grandfather go to Japan. (Of course they are ninjas and Japanese.)
- The Thompsons, the sequel to The Hamiltons, takes place in England.
- The Toxic Avenger 2 takes place in Japan.
- Tremors 2 takes place in Mexico.
- The Wolverine takes place almost entirely in Japan.
- Witches Abroad plays with this tradition and pertinent cliché.
- M*A*S*H had a number of sequels titled M*A*S*H Goes To _____, starting with Maine (Hawkeye returns home, Trapper decides to come with him) and hitting, before that particular horse was flayed beyond recognition, New Orleans, Paris, London, Las Vegas, Morocco, Hollywood, Miami, San Francisco, Montreal, and Moscow.
- Joe Millionaire season 2 went to Italy and cast female contestants from Europe, because everyone in the US would be Genre Savvy enough after the first one that they couldn't pull the same trick again.
- Escape Of The Artful Dodger has the characters from Oliver Twist in Australia.
- Double Dragon III starts the game in New York City, but moves to various foreign countries (namely China, Japan, Italy and Egypt) after the first stage.
- Final Fight 2 involved Mike Haggar traveling to various Eurasian nations to take down the remnants of the Mad Gear Gang. The setting would move back to Metro City in Final Fight 3.
- Grand Theft Auto: London 1969
- Half-Life 2 is implied to be set somewhere in Eastern Europe, compared to the first being in an American laboratory in New Mexico.
- Max Payne 3 sees Max shooting bad guys in the sunny Brazil, in a change of pace from New York.
- The Metal Gear series inverts this and then plays this straight. The original MSX2 games, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake took place in fictional third world countries, but Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty took place within the United States (in Alaska and Manhattan respectively), before going back to foreign settings from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and onward.
- Shenmue 2 takes place in Hong Kong.