open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The third Digimon movie involves some of the Japanese Chosen Children meeting Wallace in the U.S.
- In K-On! the movie, the gang goes to England.
- The second series of Lupin III has the main characters going globe-trotting, where the first season was mostly set within Japan.
- The Love Live! movie has the cast go to New York.
- Psycho-Pass: The Movie gets out of Japan and goes to Southeast Asia for its main plot.
- One of the You're Under Arrest! OVAs has Natsumi and Yukari transferring to Los Angelas.
Films — Animation
- The sequel to The Rescuers, The Rescuers Down Under, is set in Australia.
- Rugrats in Paris takes place, obviously, in Paris compared to the series that takes place in the USA.
- An American Tail: Fievel Goes West: While technically still the same country, there is a world of difference between the wild west and New York.
- Cars 2 takes McQueen, Mater and their friends out of Radiator Springs and across the globe, with stops in Tokyo, Paris, Italy and London.
- Madagascar: Only the first movie takes place on Madagascar. In the two sequels the characters go to mainland Africa, then to Europe.
- One of the Monster High CGI specials, Scaris: City of Frights (as well as the accompanying short, From Fear to Eternity), involves the protagonists traveling to a monsterfied version of Paris.
Films — Live-Action
- Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls takes place in Africa, unlike the previous Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.
- The sequel to Agent Cody Banks was set squarely in London.
- A Good Day to Die Hard takes place in The New Russia.
- Annie: A Royal Adventure! takes place in England.
- Austin Powers in Goldmember is set in Japan.
- The gag Sequel Hook in Baby's Day Out involves a book called Baby's Trip to China.
- The Bad News Bears Go To Japan.
- Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason: London, Thailand, Australia
- Inverted with the Captain America movies. The First Avenger was mainly set in the WWII battlefields in Europe, while The Winter Soldier was in Washington, DC. Inverted back again with Civil War, which will take place in several different countries.
- The second Cheetah Girls Made-for-TV Movie takes place in Barcelona, while the third takes place in India.
- The Conjuring 2 sees the Warrens travel to the United Kingdom to investigate another haunting.
- Inverted with Crocodile Dundee, where the protagonist goes to New York for the first movie and the sequel seems him back home in Australia. Played straight for part three, Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles.
- The Dark Knight has an extensive sequence in Hong Kong, which is further than Batman goes during Batman Begins, excluding the prologue.
- Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
- Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights takes place in Cuba.
- The 1975 softcore film Emmanuelle 2 begins with the lead character taking a boat trip to Hong Kong, where she stays as an expat for the rest of the film.
- The first two films in the Evil Dead series are set in a small cabin somewhere in the U.S., while Army of Darkness ups things by having Ash stuck in Medieval Europe.
- The Fast and the Furious
- Flodder in Amerika (America)
- The French Connection 2 has Popeye Doyle in France.
- Garfield: A Tail Of Two Kitties, which is set in London, where Garfield gets his life mixed up with that of an English cat.
- As part of the third series of Goodness Gracious Me, the cast recorded a "Back Where They Came From" special filmed in India.
- The Hangover Part II, which takes place in Thailand and includes the characters lampshading the fact that the same circumstances happened in a foreign country.
- The first two Hellraiser films take place in the United Kingdom. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth is the first one to move the action to the United States. The seventh film Hellraiser: Deader is set in Romania.
- John Wick had the titular character in the U.S. fighting local mobsters, while the sequel sees him head to Rome.
- The Karate Kid Part II is set in Okinawa, Japan because Mr. Miyagi returns to his hometown to visit his dying father and Daniel decides to tag along.
- French-Canadian film Les Boys 2 is set in a Hockey Tournament in France.
- French film Les Visiteurs had a sequel Les Visiteurs II, followed by a US Foreign Remake, Just Visiting. The remake was released in France as a semi-sequel, Les Visiteurs en Amerique.
- London Has Fallen. Sequel to Olympus Has Fallen, which takes place in Washington, D.C.
- The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor is set in China.
- National Lampoon's European Vacation.
- Ocean's Twelve went to Europe, justified by the title gang being too high profile to work in the USA without raising alarms (Not that it stopped them in Ocean's Thirteen).
- By the time the third movie rolled around, most of the gang had settled down and those that still worked had gone straight.
- Pirates of the Caribbean:
- Pitch Perfect 2 takes the Barden Bellas to Denmark for a worldwide a cappella championship. Downplayed in that they don't actually go to Denmark until the final act.
- Film.Police Academy 7 Mission To Moscow.
- Rambo: The first film is set in the Northwestern United States. In the sequels, he's doing his battles in Asia.
- Red 2: Most of the action takes place in Paris, London, and Moscow.
- The second half of Rocky IV is set in Moscow.
- Rush Hour: Jackie Chan is a Hong Kong cop Fish out of Water in LA. Rush Hour 2 is set in Hong Kong - now his partner is the one out of water. Rush Hour 3 takes place in Paris, where they're both out.
- Sex And The City 2 has its New Yorker cast taking a trip to Abu Dhabi.
- Shaft In Africa
- Shanghai Knights, the sequel to Shanghai Noon, is set in London. A third installment, Shanghai Dawn, would have taken them to Russia but it never got made.
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows took Sherlock Holmes out of London and across the Continent to France, Germany, and then Switzerland.
- Speed 2: Cruise Control takes place in the Caribbean.
- Inverted for Taken: The first film primarily takes place in France and the second in Istanbul, but the third and final film is mainly set in Los Angeles.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III ups the ante by taking place in ancient Japan. Of course they are ninjas.
- Three Men and a Little Lady, the sequel to Three Men and a Baby, takes place mostly in London.
- In 3 Ninjas Kick Back, the three ninjas and their grandfather go to Japan. (Of course they are ninjas and Japanese, respectively.)
- The Thompsons, the sequel to The Hamiltons, takes place in England.
- The Midgard parts of Thor were set in New Mexico, while Thor: The Dark World was in London.
- Much of The Toxic Avenger Part II takes place in Japan, where Toxie goes to search for his missing father.
- The Wolverine takes place almost entirely in Japan.
- Although X-Men: First Class was the first X-Men movie to make forays outside of North America, X-Men: Days of Future Past goes further, with all of the future scenes taking place either in Russia or China, and much of the '70s action unfolding in Paris and Saigon.
- Witches Abroad plays with this tradition and pertinent cliché.
- M*A*S*H had a number of sequels titled M*A*S*H Goes To _____, starting with Maine (Hawkeye returns home, Trapper decides to come with him) and hitting, before that particular horse was flayed beyond recognition, New Orleans, Paris, London, Las Vegas, Morocco, Hollywood, Miami, San Francisco, Montreal, and Moscow.
- Topper by Thorne Smith was followed by Topper Takes a Trip, set on the French Riviera. Both were later turned into movies.
- Joe Millionaire season 2 went to Italy and cast female contestants from Europe, because everyone in the US would be Genre Savvy enough after the first one that they couldn't pull the same trick again.
- Escape of the Artful Dodger has the characters from Oliver Twist in Australia.
- 24 was mainly set in the United States. A little bit of the third season was set in Mexico and the TV movie Redemption that served as a prequel to season seven had Jack in Africa, but a lot of the action, mainly the political stuff, was still set in the U.S. Live Another Day, which follows up on the series after it originally ended, is set entirely in England.
- Inspector Rex was an Austrian series, but when it was revived in 2008, the setting of the majority of cases was Rome.
- S Club 7's TV series is a strange example. It was a British band on a British TV show, but the first three series all took place in the United States, specifically Miami and L.A. The fourth season, however, took place in Barcelona, Spain.
- The original run of The Wrong Mans was set almost entirely in Berkshire, England. The second series, while still featuring Berkshire a fair bit, had the characters go to Texas, USA due to witness protection. Subsequently, they ended up in Eastern Europe and then France before returning to the UK.
- The third Ring of Honor Champion, Samoa Joe, would take the title to Europe and declare his Ring Of Honor singles belt was a world title after successfully defending it there. The tag team belts actually were taken to Asia when Roderick Strong and Austin Aries of Generation Next decided to upgrade them to world status.
- The third Full Impact Pro Heavyweight Champion, Roderick Strong again, would declare belt a World Tile after successfully defending against Pac at ROH's fifth year festival in Liverpool.
- Double Dragon III starts the game in New York City, but moves to various foreign countries (namely China, Japan, Italy and Egypt) after the first stage.
- Final Fight 2 involved Mike Haggar traveling to various Eurasian nations to take down the remnants of the Mad Gear Gang. The setting would move back to Metro City in Final Fight 3.
- Grand Theft Auto: London 1969
- Half-Life 2 is implied to be set somewhere in Eastern Europe, compared to the first being in an American laboratory in New Mexico.
- The Legend of Zelda:
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time takes place in standard franchise setting Hyrule, whereas its direct sequel, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, takes place in the alternate land of Termina.
- Earlier, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past takes place in Hyrule, while its direct sequel The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening takes place on the island of Koholint.
- The Oracle duology, set between A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, has Link traveling from Hyrule to either Holodrum or Labrynna to save it from Onox or Veran respectively. If you're playing a linked game, Link then travels to the other country to save it from the other villain as well as Twinrova and Ganon.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds takes place in Hyrule, while its sequel The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes takes place in Hytopia.
- Max Payne 3 sees Max shooting bad guys in the sunny Brazil, in a change of pace from New York.
- The original OutRun doesn't take place in a specific location, but Turbo OutRun took place in America, and OutRunners took this Up to Eleven by having multiple Scenery Porn nations and locations as stages!
- The first four generations of Pokémon were based on regions of Japan, before Black and White was based on New York, X and Y on France and Sun and Moon on Hawaii.
- Super Mario Bros.:
- This is sorta the case when comparing Super Mario Bros. with Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Land, since it took awhile for the Mushroom Kingdom to be fully established as the default setting for the main Platform Games.
- The Paper Mario sub-series started off in the Mushroom Kingdom with Paper Mario 64, then moved to Rogueport and the surrounding areas in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, then ventured into several Alternate Dimensions in Super Paper Mario, before finally returning to the Mushroom Kingdom in Paper Mario: Sticker Star. However, Paper Mario: Color Splash takes place in Prism Island, which is far away from the Mushroom Kingdom.
- Shenmue II takes place in Hong Kong. The third installment will take place in China.
- The third Yo-kai Watch game takes place in America instead of Japan.
- Ace Attorney
- The premise of Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken is that Ryuunosuke Naruhodou, a young man from Meiji-era Japan with aspirations in defense law, goes overseas to Victorian England.
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice happens in a kingdom called "Khura'in", as opposed to Phoenix Wright's usual setting (which can either be Los Angeles or Tokyo, depending on the localization). Parts of the game are still set in the usual city, though.