Film: The Hamiltons
The Hamiltons is a horror film directed by the Butcher Brothers.In the midst of their parents' death, four siblings struggle to live on their own. They harbor some dark secrets, the least of which involves kidnapping people and keeping them in their basement before killing them. The youngest member of the family, Francis, begins to harbor doubt about his family's proclivities as films them for a school project.The film was part of the After Dark Horrorfest film festival.A sequel, The Thompsons was released in 2012.
This film provides examples of:
- Beware the Nice Ones: David for the most part is fairly level-headed but when he gets angry, watch out.
- Big Screwed-Up Family
- Bound and Gagged: The victims in the basement are this.
- Brother-Sister Incest/Twincest: Wendell and Darlene.
- Cannibal Clan
- Coming-of-Age Story
- Creepy Basement: Where the Hamiltons keep their victims...and Lenny.
- Creepy Twins: Wendell and Darlene.
- Dysfunctional Family
- The Ending Changes Everything: It completely turns your perception of the characters on its head.
- Fake Video Camera View: Via Francis's camcorder.
- The Family That Slays Together
- Gory Discretion Shot: The film's pretty bloody but the actual onscreen violence is minimal.
- Hemo Erotic: Wendell and Darlene.
- Hope Spot: Francis finally rescues the last surviving girl from his family, only for his vampiric urges to manifest.
- Jerkass: Even taking into consideration that they're vampires who need blood to survive Wendell and Darlene have little redeeming qualities.
- Promoted To Parent: David finds himself with the responsibility of looking after the family after their parents' deaths.
- Tomato Surprise: They're vampires.
- Straight Gay: David
- Trailers Always Spoil: The trailer shows the very last shot of the film. Although it's only a spoiler in context.
- Our Vampires Are Different: They can walk around in sunlight, for starters.
- Undead Child: Lenny.