The Thompsons is a horror film directed by the Butcher Brothers. It is a sequel to their previous film The Hamiltons.On the run from the law, the vampire family the Hamiltons (now known as the Thompsons) heads to England to find an ancient vampire clan known as the Stuarts. Unbeknownst to the Hamiltons, the Stuarts have ulterior motives of their own.
This film provides examples of:
- Bloodier and Gorier: In comparison to the first film.
- Buried Alive: The film opens with Francis in this situation.
- Creepy Twins: In addition to Wendell and Darlene from the first film, the film introduces Cole and Ian Stuart who are even worse.
- Demoted to Extra: All of the Hamiltons except for Francis have considerably smaller roles this time around.
- Evil Versus Evil: The Hamiltons and the Stuarts.
- The Family That Slays Together: The Hamiltons.
- For the Evulz: Cole and Ian.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: It varies. Francis and David feast on innocent people to survive but aren't inherently malicious whereas Wendell and Darlene enjoy killing. The vampire members of the Stuarts are even more sinister in comparison.
- First-Episode Spoiler: The Hamiltons being vampires was a Tomato Surprise in the original film.
- Hemo Erotic: Wendell and Darlene.
- In Medias Res: The beginning of the film is presented out of chronological order.
- Muggle Born of Mages: Riley Stuart comes from a vampire family but is not a vampire herself. She's also unable to be turned.
- Our Vampires Are Different: They age normally, can withstand sunlight and are also vulnerable to physical damage such shotgun blasts. Also, drinking vampire blood can heal wounds.
- The Renfield: Riley functions as this for her family at times.
- Sequel Escalation: The film is clearly made on a bigger budget than The Hamiltons and benefits from a wider scope and more extensive special effects.
- Sequel Goes Foreign: The sequel has the vampire family moving to England to find more of their kind.
- Token Good Teammate: Riley Stuart.