First Aired - 2/18/1990
The Simpsons go on vacation in a rickety RV — and end up lost in the woods when the RV goes over a cliff.
This episode contains examples of:
- Adult Fear:
- Homer looking for Bart after they both go over a waterfall.
- Also, Maggie is found by bears and taken to their cave.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Pretty much why the bears babysat Maggie when they could have mauled her.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: Homer gets mistaken for a bigfoot.
- Driven by Envy: The plot is started by the envy Homer feels upon seeing Flanders' RV.
- Exact Words / False Reassurance: When Cowboy Bob said Homer couldn't buy anything better than the rickety RV he was selling, he didn't mean it in a nice way.
- Macho Disaster Expedition: Bart and Homer decide to venture into the woods to seek help and tell Marge and Lisa to stay put at camp. Their experience is torturous and embarrassing. Marge and Lisa, who have absolutely no knowledge of how to camp, manage to create a pretty pleasant experience for themselves (they even lampshade that it got much easier once they managed to clean up the campsite of all debris). Maggie also finds her own experience easy, courtesy of the bears.
- Special Guest: Albert Brooks as Cowboy Bob (credited as A. Brooks)
- Vacation Episode: Though just going camping in the woods is almost downplaying the trope compared to all the times the Simpsons will visit other states, countries, and continents Once a Season or more.
- Women Are Wiser: Marge and Lisa manage to competently build shelter in the wild, while Bart and Homer, being the experienced woodsman he is, spend the night frozen, mauled and starved.