Recap: The Simpsons S 1 E 8 The Telltale Head
Episode - 7G07
First Aired - 2/25/1990Cornered at the town square by a pitchfork and torch-wielding mob, Bart tells the rioting townspeople the story of how he stole the head of town founder Jebediah Springfield to impress some local thugs, Dolph, Jimbo Jones, and Kearney.
This episode contains examples of:
- Armor-Piercing Question: "Is the Lincoln Memorial just a statue!? Is the Statue of Liberty just a statue?!"
- The Cameo: Sideshow Bob.
- Divergent Character Evolution: The first glimpse of Smithers' affection towards his boss.[after Bart puts the head back on the statue]Mr. Burns: I love you, Smithers.Smithers: The feeling's more than mutual, sir.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Dolph, Jimbo, and Kearney may be petty thugs, but when they hear that someone defaced the statue of Jebediah Springfield, they want to bash his face in, explaining that what they said about wanting to deface the statue themselves was just "cloud talk".
- It may be a case of Early Installment Weirdness, but Mr. Burns — the Charles Montgomery Burns — actually cries at the sight of the headless statue and joins the angry mob in retaliation.
- Have a Gay Old Time: When Homer was Bart's age, he "pulled a few boners".
- Innocuously Important Episode: This is the first appearance of Sideshow Bob. His design is way off in his first scene.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Marge holds Homer responsible for inspiring Bart of his popularity advice that caused him to commit the crime in the first place.
- Off Model: When Sideshow Bob appears in the middle of the episode his hair is a giant red afro. At the end of the episode it's in its normal palm-tree style.
- Torches and Pitchforks: First appearance of the Springfield Angry Mob, when they chase Bart and Homer with the head down the street.
- Whole Episode Flashback
- What Have I Done: Bart says this after sawing off Jebediah's head.