First Aired 4/29/90
Local kids' show host Krusty the Clown is arrested and convicted of robbing the Kwik-E-Mart after Homer (who was buying groceries there) identifies him in a line-up, but Bart and Lisa do some sleuthing of their own to clear their hero's name.
This Episode Contains Examples of:
- Divergent Character Evolution: The first appearance of Lisa as the brainy sibling rather than a troublemaking female clone of Bart.
- All Part of the Show: Krusty's 1986 heart attack, according to the audience.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Within the Itchy and Scratchy continuity, the theme tune contains cartoon sound effects.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Lisa slaps Bart across the face to try and convince him that Krusty's in jail and he should get over it.
- Magical Security Cam: Averted by director Brad Bird, who took care to stage all the actions of the robbery so they could be captured from one angle, at a spot where a security camera would realistically be.
- Shout Out: To Scooby Doo, as Sideshow Bob is carted off to jail, he says "I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids".
- Special Guest: Kelsey Grammer as Sideshow Bob