Ayumi Arihara and her friends are curious about love, with Ayumi to be the first one to find out the trials love can bring. Misao Zaitsu, a student one year older than her with a terrifying visage, gives her a love letter. She is frightened out of her wits. This is but the start of a Love Dodecahedron
that encompasses Ayumi, her friends and classmates.
By Mizuki Kawashita, the creator of Ichigo 100%
, the manga was cut short in its run, but it got an anime adaptation in Spring 2009 by J.C. Staff.
Tropes in Hatsukoi Limited include:
- All Love Is Unrequited
- All Men Are Perverts — A good amount of the male cast, and the main cause of distress for the (well-endowed) Meguru.
- Always Someone Better — Meguru, to Takei.
- A-Cup Angst — Koyoi and Ayumi.
- Big Brother Worship — Koyoi does this so much that her friends can almost predict when it will happen.
- Brother-Sister Incest — Runs in both directions. Ayumi's brother is a little too into her, while Koyoi is pretty much defined by her brother complex.
- Cannot Spit It Out — Goes for a lot of the couples, but Kei and Kusuda are the ones that display it the most.
- Class Representative — Meguru.
- Cool Big Sis — Misaki plays this role to Mamoru.
- Cosplay — The ending credits are a slideshow of the many girls of the cast in various cosplay outfits.
- Crash into Hello — Combined with Dropped Glasses for Sogabe and Nao's Meet Cute.
- Crossdresser — Kusuda has few qualms about donning a female cheerleader outfit for the sake of class spirit.
- Date Peepers — Koyoi.
- D-Cup Distress — Meguru, afraid that her boobs, which got big quite early, would draw a lot of stares. She also quit swimming because of this and goes as far as to wear bras a few cup sizes smaller to hide how big her breasts are.
- Dojikko — Soako
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma! — Done deliberately on the part of Kusuda and his sleep-inducing pun storm. Subverted when, whether she was toying with them or really in some form of sleepwalking, Misaki begins performing wrestling moves on Mamoru when he gets close.
- Dynamic Entry — (particularly in the Anime) Ayumi barges into Mamoru's class to deliver a bento to him, bowling over Kusuda and Sogabe humorously (with her outstretched hands) in the process with little warning (well, she did give a warning, but she was moving to fast for anyone to respond).
- Face of a Thug — Misao Zaitsu, though he's really just a shy guy who's fallen in love with Ayumi.
- The Glomp — Koyoi to her brother, whenever she can.
- Hotblooded Sideburns — Gengoro Takei sports a magnificent pair of these.
- Hurricane of Puns — To the point it puts Misaki to sleep. That's talent.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold — Etsu Kusuda, although even when he is nice he gets shot down by Kei.
- Lolicon — The twentysomething man seen proposing to Kei Enomoto in a Flashback.
- Love Chart — Keeping track so you don't have to.
- Love Dodecahedron
- Love Letter Lunacy — What starts the story.
- Master of the Mixed Message — Rika Dobashi gives canonical love interest Haruto Terai the impression that she's leading him on, until she gives him their First Kiss.
- Meet Cute — Lollipop in the mouth means love as far as Misaki is concerned.
- Meganekko — Meguru.
- Oral Fixation — Misaki Yamamoto and her lollipops.
- Pantyshot — No shortage of them.
- Small Name, Big Ego — Sogabe.
- Tear Jerker — An in universe example, when Yukito's sudden departure sends Nao running in tears.
- Theme Tune Cameo — Ayumi and Koyoi's not-very-good duet of the opening theme with karaoke.
- Tsundere — Kei Enomoto.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend — Mamoru in relation to Misaki. She's been his next door neighbor for years, he loves her, but she loves Ayumi's brother.
- Vapor Wear — The side story features Soako and her adventures running around the school without panties. Hilarity ensues, of course.
- Waif-Fu — Ayumi has the body of a middle school student and some impressive kicking power. She even manages to double-team with Misao in the Valentine's Day episode and intercept Misaki's chocolate with gusto.
- Walking Shirtless Scene — Takei, whom Meguru admires, is a member of the swim club, and goes around in swim trunks and not much else...all the time.
- Wrestler in All of Us — Beware of a sleeping Misaki. She's a wrestling fan, and knows the moves.