Video Game: Flight Of The Amazon Queen
Flight of the Amazon Queen
is a point and click Adventure Game
released by Interactive Binary Illusions in 1995. It is strongly influenced by LucasArts
adventure games such as The Secret Of Monkey Island
and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
and is available for free download
through ScummVM's website
The game takes place in the late 1940s and concerns a major league baseball player turned pilot for hire named Joe King
whose job to fly a plane carrying the spoiled movie star Faye Russel to Buenos Aires
lands in disaster when the plane crashes in the Amazon jungle. While stranded in the jungle, King comes across both a village of Amazon warriors and a mad scientist masquearading as a lederhosen tycoon who kidnaps the Amazon princess with plans to turn her and the rest of the world's population into dinosaurs. Yes, it's that kind of game.
This game has examples of tropes such as:
- Big Eater: Trader Bob and Klunk.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: As well as dino-rats, a hybrid species invented by Dr. Frank.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: The game contains both realistic monkeys and an anthropomorphic gorilla who disguises himself as a dinosaur with an unconvincing Cheap Costume.
- Evil Lawyer Joke: Joe asks a witch doctor whether she performs voodoo spells on people to ruin their lives. Her response? "I'm a doctor, not a lawyer."
- Expy: Faye is one of Willie Scott.
- The Ferryman: Charon charters a "bote" [sic] from the Amazon jungle to Sloth Island.
- The Missionary: Jimmy and Mary Lou give "salvashun" to Amazon natives, although Jimmy seems more concerned with zoology and Mary Lou with manicuring.
- Mystery Meat: Floda's cafeteria mainly serves disgusting and inedible food.
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: The Floda Lederhosen company has several Nazi-like traits, such as its staff having blond hair and blue eyes, being obsessed with creating a master race (of dinosaur people), and having German accents. It is also worth noting that many former Nazis escaped to South America after World War II, which would explain their presence in the Amazon jungle.
- Puff of Logic: Both times you encounter a gorilla blocking your path, you need to tell him he shouldn't exist to get rid of him.
- Punny Name:
- "Joe King," which is lampshaded by Charon.
- Faye's boyfriend Anderson is revealed relatively late in the game to have the first name Hans.
- Red Herring: Floda's library contains several false implied secret entrances which lead nowhere, including a loose painting, a book that is different than the rest, and a grandfather clock which opens (possibly a reference to a secret entrance from Day Of The Tentacle.
- Shout-Out: Several to LucasArts games. Dr. Frank is most likely an homage to fellow mad scientist Dr. Fred from Maniac Mansion. It is also suggested that the elusive Secret of Monkey Island is that the games' female lead Elaine Marley is actually a man.
- Ted Baxter: Ian, one of Frank's henchmen, as well as Frank himself.
- Transformation Ray: Doctor Ironstein's Dino Ray, which transforms people into dinosaurs (and dinosaurs into people)
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: The obese and haggard Trader Bob is happily married to the beautiful Amazon native Naomi.