Would you like your coffee with cream and sugar, Sugar?
"Remember, there's only a one letter difference between tits and tips."
Female serving staff wearing revealing outfits. Can be anything from a maid costume
to a short skirt and low-cut top that reveals just enough cleavage
to keep the male clientele interested
Less commonly, the serving staff may be male
, and dressed to expose or accentuate his physique. He may be shirtless
(perhaps with a bowtie), or wearing a Naked Apron
, or some other Rule of Sexy
Can overlap with Bikini Bar
. See also Sexy Stewardess
. Cosplay Cafes
usually feature this.
This item is available in the Trope Co. catalog.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Lampshaded in the Excel Saga anime, where Excel and Hyatt spend one mission working at a nightclub, and Hyatt notices that their outfits seem designed to emphasize their busts.
- Despite being as covering as you can really get short of a burkha, the waitress outfit during the Festival Episode in Suzumiya Haruhi really brings out the assets of Mikuru and Tsuruya, at least judging by Kyon's and his friend's reaction and the notice "No Photographing" on the front door of the restaurant.
- Kallen, the top-heavy ace pilot from Code Geass, begins the second season undercover at a casino wearing a Playboy Bunny costume. Naturally, this got the fanartists' pens flying, and now you can find pictures of almost the entire female cast (and several of the men) in the same outfit.
- For the few days Ukyou was too sick to tend to her restaurant in Ranma ½, Ranma, Konatsu, and Akane volunteered to take over for her so she wouldn't go broke. It didn't take long for Ranma to realize that plenty of male patrons came over to ogle the cute "waitress" Konatsu, and so he quickly turned female, donned a microscopic miniskirt and heels, and proceeded to attract even more customers. Later on, Akane made up Konatsu as some sort of prince, attracting female customers just as effectively.
- In Lucky Star, Hiyori outfits Minami and Yutaka in cosplay outfits for the class cafe that pander for her tastes.
- He Is My Master: The whole point of the series is to have a rich teenage pervert require his teenage maids to dress in quasi-fetish outfits.
- In one episode of Zero no Tsukaima, Louise and Saito are asked by the resident monarch (who happens to be a close childhood friend of Louise) to go investigate whether or not the aristocrats are oppressing the plebeians. Louise loses all of their expense money trying to get more money through gambling. The Camp Gay manager of a nearby inn lends them a room on one condition: Louise has to dress up in a revealing Meido outfit like the rest of the waitresses. While this is most definitely Fanservice, it's most certainly not with a smile, since the customers either cop a feel on the waitresses, or insult Louise for having a flat chest.
- Volume 19 of Shounen Shikou features a shotacon version of this. An otouto dresses up as a meido for his School Festival and has sex with his oniichan. (How did you know already?)
- The various bars and restaurants in the Magical World in Mahou Sensei Negima!. However, these girls are slaves. Some of them, anyway.
- In Bakugan New Vestroia, the customers' reaction when Mira decides to pitch in at Runo's restaurant evokes this trope, although it's just Mira in her normal outfit plus an apron.
- Male example: England's "Sexy Waiter" outfit, which basically consists of the lower half of a Naked Apron, a bowtie, and cuffs.
- In Hetalia Hetaween 2013, the artist draws several other characters in this outfit as an apology for not updating for a number of days.
- Kamen no Maid Guy took this concept and ran with it. In one episode, the main characters are competing against a rival cake shop that is constantly packed to the gills with male customers. The shop's food is terrible to say the least, but no one is going there for the food. Every waitress that works there is required to have a D cup or larger, wear Meido outfits that show off as much cleavage as possible, and even adopt mannerisms that draw attention to their breasts. Being "gifted", Naeka gets a job there to go undercover.
- Deconstructed at Muteki Kanban Musume: Miki Onimaru is a Kanban Musume (poster girl) for a Ramen Restaurant, she uses a little red Magic Skirt, and Megumi Kannazuki is the poster girl for a bakery, she uses a larger True Blue Femininity skirt.
- In the first episode, they both compete to be the best Kanban Musume by attracting the most costumers to their business: Megumi gets a sexy mini dress and Miki gets a Rummage Sale Reject Non-Ironic Clown costume.
- While Megumi Show Some Leg and attracts some teenagers to her bakery, she gloats to Miki:
Megumi: What is this? Sex appeal won’t work on children!
- After some children realize that Megumi looks like the StarRangers villainess Hell Bunny, she cosplays like that villain to attract more clients to her bakery.
Megumi: Everyone! Now you can shake hands with the popular children’s character Hell’s Bunny
- Some clients threat to abandon the noodle restaurant if the beautiful Kanban Musume doesn’t drink with them, Miki agrees because she was called “beautiful”.
Client # 1 Aww. I just wanted to have a drink with the cute Kanban Musume
Client # 2 Maybe we should stop coming here from now on.
Miki: This is a problem! Mom’s fists are scary, but losing customers is bad too! And besides… He said I was a cute Kanban Musume! For the sake of the restaurant, I have to drink!
- Space Dandy likes to hang out at BooBies between jobs, where the waitresses (both human and alien) wear pink bikinis. QT thinks of it as "that restaurant with the jiggly waitresses and not-so-hot wings."
- Variable Geo uses this as its central plot element. It's about a tournament for combat waitresses, who are competing for the ultimate prize: 10 million yen, a piece of prime real estate, and bragging rights. Except the Jahana Group has other plans in mind for "the winner".
- The splash page of one issue of Scion has a sexy bartender leaning over the bar, cleavage in full view, smiling directly at the reader and asking, "See anything you like?"
- Both the staff of McDonald's, and the airline service in The Fifth Element.
- Tony Stark's private airline flight attendants in the first Iron Man. Goes beyond mere Fanservice to... other implications in a deleted scene where it's revealed that he snuggles up with one... and two more take Rhodey offscreen. Justified, of course; the man is rich and probably pays them for it (at least for the pole-dancing, he might be able to get the rest for free with his charm).
- Idiocracy. In the future, every establishment will utilize this, every one of them. Even the news. Of course, most establishments are now brothels, so this is the least of society's vices.
- Coyote Ugly
- Missing in Action. Chuck Norris hooks up with an old army buddy in Thailand, leading to plenty of gratuituous fanservice involving totally naked bar girls. One notable scene has Chuck talking to a bartender; as he walks offscreen a beautiful naked Thai girl is placed on the bar for no apparent reason (security for a bar tab?).
- Cloud Atlas In a dystopian future the fast food restaurant called Papa Songs uses fabricants, clones, engineered to provide this to their customers.
Live Action TV
- Sarah's Wienerlicious uniform in Chuck is a dirndl with a teensy little skirt.
- In the TV show Charlie's Angels, the Angels seemed to have to get these kinds of jobs to help solve the case. Funny how often that happened.
- Olive Snook's Pie Hole uniforms in Pushing Daisies are always low-cut with short skirts.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Dabo girls of Quark's Bar are mostly croupiers, but also serve drinks, and all wear Stripperiffic outfits to better loosen the punters' wallets.
- The Middleman's protagonist briefly works at The Booty Chest, a "pirate-themed sports bar with scantily-clad waitresses".
- Sookie and the other waitresses at Sam's in True Blood have a uniform of very tight T-shirts and shorts.
- On The Glades one murder victim was a regular of a beach side bar where most of the male patrons are there to see Maggie the waitress. She wears a skimpy bikini and likes to sunbathe topless on the beach before work. It's an open secret that half the men in the bar are in love with her and she is the one thing keeping the bar profitable.
- Another episode had a 'booze cruise' where the waitresses wore skimpy pirate wench costumes.
- Max of 2 Broke Girls has her uniform open a lot lower than the other waitress. She's played by the rather chesty Kat Dennings, and is probably doing it deliberately, to get tips.
- Giada De Laurentiis provides plenty of this on her cooking shows on Food Network and Cooking Channel. We're not complaining.
- Nigella Lawson has also earned a healthy reputation for this.
- Sandra Lee seems to be attempting this trope, but instead comes across as tasteless Fetish Retardant, though YMMV of course.
- Ruby's midriff-baring white top and tight red short-shorts when serving at Granny's in Once Upon a Time, at least early on. Her wardrobe got a bit more modest once the evil curse on her and the town started weakening.
- The costumes of the 'Fluffies' who work in The Fluffy Club in the Adam Adamant Lives episode "Allah Is Not Always With You". Naturally, Georgina goes undercover as one.
- In the Doctor Who Christmas special "The Snowmen", Clara Oswin Oswald is a historical variation on this when she works at a 1890s London pub as a barmaid, in a dainty but still rather titilating red dress◊. The daintiness (and Clara's adorkable demeanor) is a deliberate touch, to make it a more kid-friendly example of this trope. Still, her dress would be seen as rather racy by the more prudish of her fellow Victorians (since even slightly uncovered shoulders were at the time seen as a sign of "looseness" and shamelesness).
- Married Wich Children: When Al's favorite nudie bar briefly becomes female oriented, Al and his NO MA'AM buddies work there wearing a tie and no shirt.
- The Champion Pub has three barmaids on the backglass and playfield to fill this role.
- The waitress in Big Bang Bar, as shown on the cabinet and playfield art. Also invoked with the "Catch the Waitress" mode.
- Truck Stop is all about a truckers' diner where the all-female serving staff plays this trope straight.
- In one of the cases in the third Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney game, the murder takes place at a restaurant, and the only witness is a Dirty Old Man who, as it turns out, only goes there to ogle the waitresses in their skimpy uniforms.
- And in the middle of the case, Maya gets hired in the same restaurant and has to use the uniforms. Phoenix uses that to get information from the witness, and when it doesn't work Maya channels Mia...
- The entire premise of the Pia Carrot Dating Sim Series Franchise.
- The H-Game series Hana Bunny-san Kirai? (Do You Like Horny Bunnys?) is centered around the fictional Platinum restaurants, where the female servers all wear... What else? Playboy Bunny costumes.
- All of the fighters in Advanced Variable Geo work as waitresses at one of these places, and fight in their restaurant's uniform.
- This is the concept behind the restaurant sim Hot Dog King, where you operate a franchise of fast food stands staffed mostly by cute girls. You even get to choose what sort of outfits they wear on the job, from tight-fitting but relatively modest outfits to various revealing swimsuits.
- In Tokimeki Memorial 2, if Kaori Yae has revealed her Backstory to the protagonist and is in love with him, her special event at the School Festival will show her having fun working as the waitress of the Tea Shop, wearing a maid outfit.
- In one scenario of Super Robot Wars Z2: Saisei Hen, Kallen Kozuki was serving as a waitress at Coconna's shop. It seems that only the bunny suit was available for Kallen. To make things worse, Dimension Beasts appeared near their shop and their commander didn't give Kallen permission to change back to her normal outfit. Kallen's embarrassed over the bunny suit thing, so Esther (complete with triangle chiming) tries to hypnotize her so that she will fight better with it on.
: So how do you feel riding Guren, Kallen? Kallen
: "How"...? Ester
: Get back Kallen. DM extermination is my specialty. Kallen
: Ester...are you mad about something? Ester
: I'm not frustrated...I'm not frustrated! Kallen
: You brought your triangle into the cockpit... Ester
: You're piloting the Guren wearing a bunny suit, aren't you?! So I'm bringing my work tool into mine too! *ding ding ding* C.C.
: It looks like she really is that frustrated that she couldn't become a bunny (girl). Kallen
: Sure looks like it... Kiderra
: Woman's jealousy sure is scary... Ester
: I said I'm not frustrated! Even though I'm not that pretty, or elegant, or friendly, or good as serving... C.C.
: (to all the above points) To a destructive degree. Ester
: I'll live my life as a (DM) buster. So bring it on, DM's. C.C.
: Looks like everything got solved by itself. Chirico
: Here they come.
- Saints Row: The Third has adverts for a diner chain called, with the typically subtle humour of the series, Tits and Grits.
- Wild Season has Alexandra, whose interests include "being a flirt."
- SHUFFLE! has a tea shop called "Flora", famous for the cute waitress outfits. Kareha works there part-time. At the end of her route, Asa Shigure starts working there as well. The anime has Mayumi Thyme lose her wallet, and being unable to pay, she helps out there for the day.
- Shion Sonozaki from Higurashi: When They Cry works at a restaurant called Angel Mort, and it has a very... interesting uniform◊. There's an official manga omake with just about the whole cast in the same thing. Yes, even Oishi. It's... not for the faint of heart.
- Twice Blessed has a very buxom barmaid for an accidental innuendo gag early on.
- The idea behind Okashina Okashi's Beauty Man Garden, introduced here, staffed by bishonen wearing nothing more than a Modesty Towel with the restaurant's logo. Unless they're washing dishes, in which case it's a Hadaka Apron.
- In one arc of Misfile, Ash takes a summer job with another waitress who leaves the collar buttons of her shirt open. She tries to get Ash to follow suit, using the advice seen in the page quote. Ash settles for halfway.