Creator: Giada De Laurentiis
Giada De Laurentiis (born 1970) is an Italian-American chef, writer, caterer, and cooking personality. She became famous from her Food Network
show "Everyday Italian," which now airs in reruns on Cooking Channel
, owned by the same parent company. Currently, she hosts "Giada at Home" on Food Network. Giada was one of the wave of Food Network hosts that brought the network mainstream, along with Rachel Ray, and Emeril La Gasse before them.
The granddaughter of Italian movie director, Dino De Laurentiis, Giada was born in Rome and immigrated to the United States with her family at a young age. She went to UCLA and then attended Le Cordon Bleu in Paris. Eventually, she landed her own cooking show on Food Network, Everyday Italian.
Since then, she's become extremely popular and is one of the first people who comes to mind when the Food Network is mentioned. Also, Everyday Italian
is in syndication on sister network The Cooking ChannelShows she's hosted:
- Everyday Italian
- Behind the Bash
- Giada's Weekend Getaways
- Giada in Paradise Two specials actually. The first one, a few years ago, involved her going to the Greek island of Santorini (aka where the legend of Atlantis may have been inspired from) and the Italian island of Capri. The second one, from 2012, sees her going to Tahiti.
- The Next Food Network Star: She became a mentor in Season 6 and a judge as of Season 7
- The Today Show: Not actually an official host, but she does show up as the resident culinary expert.
This TV chef contains examples of:
- Food Porn: Her shows are known for their appetizing shots of pastries baking in the oven, sped up so that they appear to bake right before your eyes, and for glamorous shots of all the food in general. Giada's orgasmic reactions upon eating the food (especially if it contains mascarpone cheese) just drives the point in further.
- Genki Girl: When she's excited about something, she tends to get really excited.
- Ms. Fanservice: For a while, TV Guide had a running point / counterpoint in their letter to the editor about whether or not her necklines were too low.
- Perpetual Smiler: Man, you thought Rachael Ray had a mouthful of teeth?
- Travelogue Show: Giada's Weekend Getaways and Giada in Paradise.