"It don't seem natural to me, throwing up a drink before you've even swallowed it."
Drink-making with an eye to showmanship, often incorporating juggling, dance moves, and nonstandard use of bar equipment. Possibly more prevalent in Real Life
than in media; any given media portrayal has a good chance of being an homage to Cocktail
Can also be done with food, particularly ice cream.
See also Bar Slide
. Likely to be an element of the Coolest Club Ever
Anime and Manga
Film — Animation
- Bartender averts this, or plays this straight, depending on your point of view.
Film — Live Action
Live Action TV
- Long John Silver in Treasure Planet uses his multi-function cyborg arm to cook like this.
- The King of Queens, episode "Pour Judgment." Doug takes work as a bartender to fulfill an old dream. Broken glass ensues.
- How I Met Your Mother, episode "Three Days of Snow," when Ted and Barney briefly take over McLaren's.
- NCIS's Abby was shown to have flair bartending skills.
- One of the Challenges in Beauty And The Geek.
- In A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Stephen Fry parodies this in the cocktail sequences that end all the season 3 and 4 episodes—he shakes around without rhythm and does such things as: shoving the shaker down the front of his trousers and hopping around, swinging it on a string like a yo-yo, and sometimes breaking it open mid-dance.
- Carla did several stunts to win a best barmaid contest in Cheers, including a complete flip while holding a platter of drinks.
- JD and Turk of Scrubs did this in one episode.
- The Charmed episode "Feats of Clay" has Piper cast a confidence spell on a meek waiter so he'll have the confidence to ask a female coworker to marry him. Instead, he becomes a hyperconfident bartender, not very interested in his coworker anymore. Phoebe lampshades this by asking "I thought you were supposed to make him confident, not turn him into Tom Cruise?".
- In the season five episode of House, "House Divided", the title character did this...in the hospital's morgue. Long story short, House needed to add "chemical burns" to a guy's cause of death.
- The Norwegian comedians Ylvis try it on the back of a moving truck.
- The Sims 3 Late Night has this as an entire skill.
- Although the Citadel bartender in Mass Effect 2 pours drinks normally for the most part, he adds some style when Commander Shepard decides to down ryncol.
- The Frat Army in Kingdom of Loathing includes "wartenders" who mix drinks on the battlefield and even use them as weapons.
- In the Paradise web original fiction setting, a bartender who Changed to take on monkey characteristics bartends this way, using all five limbs. Because he looks perfectly human to people who can't see through the Change, the way he does what he does is perceived as puzzling to say the least.
- Phineas and Ferb do this while making milkshakes in the episode "Out to Launch."
- One episode of The Simpsons has Moe competing in a bartending competition: An Irish bartender chops a beer can in half with a meat cleaver, removes the two halves of the can, and overturns a frosty mug over it. The beer, against all logic, stays put until the beer mug is set down right side up. Contestant #2, a well-endowed Hooters girl, simply bounces up and down while operating two taps. Moe arranges mugs in the shape of the Duff logo.