open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Tamako Market, Tamako's father was in one with Kunio, the current owner of the music cafe when he was a teenager. He even wrote a song for his future wife.
- In this fanfic of 101 Dalmatians: The Series, the main pups form their own rock band. This fanfic later inspired a few fan arts and other fan works.
- The My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic Rock N Roll Equestrian Style is about the Mane Six forming a rock band to perform at Canterlot. There are several fan arts of the Mane Six as a rock band, but this one matches the positions they have in the fanfic mentioned above, which seems to appropriately match their personalities (according to most user comments).
Films — Animation
- In My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Ė Rainbow Rocks, the human counterparts of the Friendship Is Magic characters form a rock band, the "Rainbooms", following Rainbow Dash's idea. They 're even seen repeating in the barn of Applejack's family farm. Several of the Web shorts preceding the movie also show them picking up their respective instruments.
Films — Live-Action
- Marty McFly's band The Pinheads in Back to the Future, which auditions for the school dance. (The judge? Huey Lewis in a cameo.)
Audition Judge: Hold it, fellas. I'm afraid you're just too darn loud.
- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure has the main duo's band Wyld Stallyns.
- The Australian movie Garage Days is about a band like this.
- In Freaky Friday (2003), Anna's band practices down in the garage and don't get a real break until the Wango Tango auditions.
- Scott Pilgrim's band Sex Bob-omb.
- In Soul Music, there's Insanity/The Whom/The Surruptitious Fabric/The Blots/And Supporting Bands. Due to an absence of cars (and hence of garages), they reherse in Crash's dad's stables.
- In the Tim Dorsey novel Florida Roadkill, there's a Satanic Rock band that practices in a storage unit. They're so bad that they have to practice with the door closed because of noise complaints from the nearby airport.
- In Rita Rocks, Rita, a harried but Happily Married mother, finds a creative outlet in a garage band with her neighbor, her best friend, and her daughter's boyfriend.
- The Partridge Family started out this way in their show.
- Matt from Lizzie McGuire started a garage band once for a subplot.
- Degrassi has had at least one active garage band among the main characters in every version of the franchise since 1987.
- The George Lopez Show has an episode where George's son Max joins such a band as he is learning to play guitar.
- The freaks had one in Freaks and Geeks, before it fell apart.
- Ed Grundy's band Dross in The Archers.
- Mae, Gregg and Angus of Night in the Woods played in a band together before Mae left for college, and Bea joined during her absence. Gregg wastes no time recruiting Mae back in to play bass once she returns to Possum Springs.
- Deathmøle in Questionable Content.
- Grojband naturally uses this trope. Because "groj" sounds like "garage."
- South Park: The Lords of the Underworld. They only become popular when they become Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld.
- There's also Moop. In the same episode, Faith+1 starts out this way before getting popular.
- Jimmy Neutron has an episode where Jimmy & Co. try to start a band for a talent show.
- Family Guy has Chris starting a metal garage band in one episode.
- In another episode, Peter and his buddies form a rock band, but things don't go so well at their first gig when they find out they don't know any songs.
- In Gumby Adventures, Gumby and his friends have a rock band of their own. They practice in their barn.
- American Dad! has Steve and his friends starting a band in one episode.
- The titular characters of Beavis And Butthead started a garage band in one episode, despite only knowing how to play air guitar. They named their band "Metallica" and caused a huge riot when they didn't show up to a gig, where hundreds of people awaited the band of the same name.
- Home Movies:
- Darkwing Duck: In the episode "A Revolution in Home Appliances," Gosalyn, Honker, and Tank start a garage band of sorts.
- The Bremen Avenue Experience takes the animal characters from the Fairy Tale "The Bremen Town Musicians" and re-imagines them as a modern day Funny Animal Garage Band.
- Doug had an episode about this, apropriately titled, "Doug's Garage Band".
- Kick Buttowski had the episode "Garage Banned" where Brad and his gang practised to win the Battle of the Bands, leaving Kick and Gunther to practice elsewhere.
- In the ChalkZone music video segment "All Day Jam", Rudy, Penny, and Snap perform as one.