Literature / The Bremen Town Musicians
"The Bremen Town Musicians"
is a German folk story about a group of animals who decide to run away and form a musical troupe. Unfortunately, although they don't realize it, their singing is beyond awful, and their first "concert" scares away its audience: a group of robbers stationed in a cottage. The animals settle into the cottage, and when the robbers return by night, again repel them, mostly because of the robbers' own superstitious fears. The animals decide to remain at the cottage, and live happily ever after.
The story is short and lighthearted, more a folktale than a Fairy Tale
. It was collected by The Brothers Grimm
and included in their Children's and Household Tales
. Although it has not achieved the prominence of some of their other stories, it remains a fairly popular and easily adaptable story for children.Famous adaptations of this story
"The Bremen Town Musicians" contains the following tropes:
- Accidental Hero: The whole band never realizes they're up against "bad guys"; they repel them more or less by accident.
- Clucking Funny: The rooster.
- Cool Cat
- Cute but Cacophonic: Which is about what you'd expect, given that they're a mismatched group of animals trying to "sing".
- Dreadful Musician: Considering that the musicians' only performance convinces the audience (of robbers) that they're Demon Lords and Archdevils, they presumably qualify.
- Everyone Meets Everyone: And they decide to start a band.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: The "Bremen Town Musicians" go with that band name even though they never make it to Bremen.
- Happily Ever After
- Have a Gay Old Time: Ah, the classic story about the ass, the bitch, the pussy, and the cock....
- Heroic Dog
- Home Sweet Home: In the end, the animals decide not to go to Bremen after all, opting to stay at the cottage instead.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: The lone robber gets his butt thrashed hard by the animals, who jump him for trespassing.
- Pop-Cultural Osmosis: For most people this story is the first thing they think of whenever they hear the name of the town Bremen. People outside Germany may even be surprised that the city really exists.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits
- The Runaway: All four main characters.
- Stubborn Mule
- Talking Animal: Well, they talk to each other. But probably not to people.
- Ungrateful Bastard: The reason why the animals all run away is because their asshole owners planned to kill them now that they're old and no longer able to do their jobs.