Everybody wants to be a cat, because a cat's the only cat who knows where it's at."
Sometimes Cats Are Mean
, sometimes cats are cute
) but if there's one thing all cats exude, it's cool. Cats stride around with a collected confidence and utter grace, always one step ahead of the curve without a care in the world. And why not? From their perspective, they run the world without ever having to get up from their nap.
And in fiction, this is no exception: evil or no, cats are graceful, collected and unshakably cool - the shades-wearing cool cat who never misses a beat is a popular version, as is the witty cat who never has to stop relaxing, or the impeccably collected feline, but the most dominant trait is that air of never having to lose their confident demeanor.
If combined with Cats Are Mean
, this can result in cats being aloof.
Even so, evil cats are often Affably Evil
for precisely this reason. Cats are often associated with jazz music for this reason as well (as seen in The Aristocats
for example), stemming from the fact that the word "cat" was used in 1930's and 40's jive slang to mean generally anyone who was cool.
Not necessarily a Cool Pet
. For big cats with badass qualities, see Panthera Awesome
. Contrast Buffoonish Tomcat
Anime and Manga
- Cheetos' shades wearing, fun loving mascot Chester Cheetah.
- Tony the Tiger from the Frosted Flakes commercials, of a more "role model" sort of a "cool."
- Morris the Cat, from the old 9 Lives commercials.
- During the 1990s, in Jamaica, there was a soda ad on TV for the local Desnoes and Geddes (D&G) soft drink brand. The mascot for that series of cartoon ads was a cat aptly named Kool Kat, complete with shades and all. (Whenever he drank a soda, he got varying powers that ranged from invisibility to shape-shifting.)
Films — Animated
- Garfield, especially in situations where he's not either the aggressor or the guy being put down. His ability to sit around impassive with a smirk and a quip is often the funniest part of the strip.
- A major theme in The Aristocats, from upbeat wanderer Thomas O'Malley, to collectedly refined Duchess, to swingin' hep cat Scat Cat, the moral of the story is "nothing keeps a good cat down."
- Several songs on the subject:
- Squeeze had "Cool for Cats"
- Helix has "Six Strings, Nine Lives"
- The Cure had "Love Cats," which extolled many virtues of how cool cats are.
- Stray Cats had "Stray Cat Strut. "
- Helloween's "Crazy Cat". Might or might not be about Fritz the Cat.
- "Summer in the City" recorded by The Lovin' Spoonful:
Cool town, evening in the city
Dressed so fine and looking so pretty
Cool cat, looking for a kitty
Gonna look in every corner of the city
- Basically everyone from Cats.
- Sissel from Ghost Trick. He even has the shades to prove it.
- Percy from Pooch and Percy is a perfect of the "cats are cool" via "cats are aloof," where he thinks he's too cool for everyone around him, and acts accordingly.