Episode - 9F21
First Aired - 9/30/1993
When Bart and Lisa find a record of a barbershop quarter called the Be Sharps, featuring Homer, Apu, Skinner and Barney on the cover, Homer tells them of the Be Sharps' rise and fall, in a hilarious send-up of the Beatles' career.
This episode contains examples of (YMMV tropes can be found here):
- A Cappella: This trope is a must for an episode about Homer's barbershop quartet.
- A Fool and His New Money Are Soon Parted: What happened to Willie during the Be Sharps' tour.
- As Himself: David Crosby; George Harrison
- Abbey Road Crossing: The cover of "Bigger Than Jesus" is a direct parody.
- Backstory of the Day: As per usual with many flashback episodes, with Homer revealing his short time as a superstar, that was seemingly forgotten about and never mentioned prior to this episode (with the kids even Lampshading this heavily at the end of the episode). This likely counts as an Ass Pull, though may refer to John Lennon's own attempts to hide his stardom from his child until he came across some merchandise.
- Bigger Than Jesus
Bart: Did you screw up like the Beatles and say you were bigger than Jesus.
Homer: All the time. That was the title of our second album.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Homer meets George Harrison. "Oh my God! Oh my God...where did you get the brownie?".
- Extra! Extra! Read All About It!: A paperboy announced the Be Sharps singing at a roof. A man bought a newspaper and found out it had no mention of the Be Sharps.
- It's Been Done: The Trope Namer
- The Pete Best: Chief Wiggum, kicked out for being "too Village People."
- Special Guest: The Dapper Dans as the singing voices of "The Be Sharps"
- Sgt. Pepper's Shout-Out: The back cover of the "Bigger Than Jesus" album is a spoof of the back cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
- Shout-Out: The Be Sharps' career mirrors The Beatles'. This is lampshaded repeatedly throughout the episode, once by an actual Beatle.
- Take That: The Grammy Awards.
Homer: Here. (hands bellhop his statue)
Bellhop: Oh boy, an awards statue. Oh wait, it's a Grammy. (throws it down the balcony)
Man: Hey, don't throw your garbage down here! (throws it back up and Homer and knocks him out)
- Yoko Ono naturally comes in for this, with her counterpart having a "song" that's nothing but her saying "Number 8" and Barney belching.
- Terrible Interviewees Montage: After dropping Wiggum, the rest of the band go through one of these looking for his replacement. Candidates include Abe Simpson singing a "hip" version of Old MacDonald, Willie butchering Downtown with his Scottish accent, Jasper singing Theme From A Summer Placenote , and Dr. Dolittle;
Skinner: Good lord! Dr. Dolittle is Chief Wiggum!
Wiggum: Uh oh, this bird's gonna fly! (Jumps out window)
- Too Dumb to Live: The Be Sharps had marketed a funny foam that was recalled for being poisonous if ingested. Homer then says if anyone was dumb enough to eat it, they deserve to die. Cut to Bart doing just that (eating the foam, not dying from it).