Food becomes sentient and begins fighting and killing. One can often expect it to be many times its normal size and armed with fangs and claws. This may be the result of It Came from the Fridge
, Lethal Chef
or Raising the Steaks
, and in some cases may overlap with Anthropomorphic Food
Not to be confused with food from Soviet Russia
. Subtrope of Attack of the Killer Whatever
. Compare Edible Ammunition
and Edible Bludgeon
(where otherwise normal weapons are made out of food products).
open/close all folders
- This Tums Smoothies commercial, as part of a series of similar advertisements.
- Two of the taglines for Wendy's Baconator burger were "It can smell fear." and "Eat it. Before it eats you."
- In the French comic Melusine (the story of an apprentice witch during Middle Ages), the transfiguration teacher reports that during a previous lesson, he made his pupils prepare a whole meal by magic. The roast suddenly came back to life and devoured all the guests. Now the school still provides cooking lessons, but without a hint of magic...
Anime and Manga
- Happened regularly to the Swedish Chef in The Muppets, though one can question the sentience of the food (it does have something against being cooked and eaten). Not only did live animals he was trying to cook fight back, but so did spaghetti, and so on...
Live Action TV
- On the Colbert Report, the graphic for the segment "Thought for Food" shows a brain (with eyes) thinking about a burger (with eyes). The burger then jumps from the thought cloud and swallows the brain whole.
- Calvin and Hobbes had this at least once—or at least, Calvin getting into a fight with his food.
- Dungeons & Dragons adventure Castle Greyhawk, Level 3 "Too Many Cooks". Magic cooking instruments are used to create food monsters that attack and try to kill the PC party.
- The Hungry Burger card in Yu-Gi-Oh! sometimes gets described as this in any video games where it receives a description at all.
- Adventure Time has killer hotdogs and killer hamburgers in one dungeon. (Any evil Candy People don't count.)
- Steven Universe, the second half of the second episode involves Steven's Together Breakfast being possessed by a malicious entity and attacking the Crystal Gems. Later, they decided not to eat waffles for a while and ordered a pizza.
- In Regular Show, a group of sentient hot dogs try to eat the gang as revenge for their fallen brethren.
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force: when DNA from a giant moth monster is accidentally mixed with a tray of brownies in Frylock's cloner, the team is attacked by a swarm of brownie monsters.
- Hambuster is a CGI short film depicting a carnivorous hamburger apocalypse. It just gets worse from there.
- The Simpsons has a few examples:
- In a school Educational Film about the food chain host Troy McClure tells a child "if a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!"
- In a Treehouse of Horror episode Homer gets eaten by an giant donut.
- In the Dan Vs. episode "Dan Vs. Vegetables", Dan sets off a gene-scrambler in a field of broccoli, creating a giant broccoli monster whose first instinct is to eat Dan.
- Happens several times in Dave the Barbarian. There's the Pretzel-men (created by a villain), the various evil foods Dave makes via the evil Cuisinum Mysterium cookbook, and a pair of giant muffin monsters, whose presence is never explained.