“Just kill me. My life is nothing without you. Drive me mad. Let me be your sustenance. Eat my soul. You’re… you're tearing me apart!”
A series of young adult Paranormal Romance
novels by Serra Elinsen
, and the title of the first book. It is about a girl named Andromeda
"Andi" Slate who falls in love with Riley Bay, the human guise of none other than Cthulhu himself. Andi is a really special girl she has dreams of him in her dreams and notices... strange things about him.
Books in this seriesCharacter sheet
This saga contains examples of:
- Alien Geometries: Riley's home is like this.
- Abduction is Love: Riley ties up Andi and brings her to his house while she is passed out.
- Arc Letter: Every chapter title is one word that begins with "C."
- Beautiful All Along: Riley to Andi after he reveals his true form.
- Break Her Heart To Save Her: Riley does this in chapter 19
- Brown Note: This might become our first attested real-life example. After the chapter describing the heroine's reaction to Riley turning a classmate insane in Awoken was used as a teaser, some readers just... snapped and seemed to lose a bit of their grip on reality. Were they already mentally unstable? Is her style just so moving and controversial? Was Cthulhu somehow involved? We'll never know.
- The Cassandra: Very cleverly Subverted Trope. Andi is Genre Savvy enough to know that no one will believe her if she spills the beans about Riley's crime. So she jumps all the boring asking for help and seeing Adults Are Useless and immediately interrogates the potential criminal on her own where no one can see them.
- Did You Just Romance Cthulhu?: The premise.
- Fan Nickname: Andi is affectionately known as Lego Brick.
- Fat Best Friend: Bridget "Bree" Fifan. Her full name is actually an anagram for "big fat friend."
- For the Evulz: One of the most refreshing examples of innovation in this book is how Riley isn´t humanized via Hidden Depths or Character Development or Freudian Excuse, nor idealized with Draco in Leather Pants by the writer. Though Andi isn´t especially harsh, it´s clear that Riley is just a Starfish Alien bastard whose sheer selfishness has to be reckoned with, but since this selfishness makes him want to spend some time with Andi too, we love him for that.
- Genre Savvy: Andi, who almost guesses Riley is extraterrestrial before her self-issues make her choose to doubt herself... yet again.
- Lovecraft Lite: To an extreme.
- Love Triangle: Will Andi end up with Cthulhu or her childhood friend?
- Made all the more poignant because she knows her friend since not-so-long, so they didn't even get to build part of what concretely a relationship.
- Meaningful Name:
- Ms. Scarlett Epistola. Epistola means "letter" (as in "the thing you send home from camp", or an epistolary novel).
- Riley Bay is secretly a sea creature-thing
- Mythology Gag: No names are given, but Nyarlathotep mentions how he and Nikola Tesla used to mess with HP Lovecraft.
- Noodle Incident: Half of Uncle Neil's life. Also, the villain is repeatedly described as a "woman scorned," but we never actually learn what happened.
- Only Sane Man: Andi, who has to deal with moody but deep Riley, insensitive intrusive mom and the Woman Scorned antagonist.
- The Power of Love: How Andi and Riley overcome the Cult's first attempt at an apocalypse
- Narration Echo: So many times!
- Purple Prose: How else could so much emotion be conveyed into a book?
- Property of Love: This is present in the couple.
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: Cthulhu becomes human due to a prophecy that the protagonist will ruin his plan to destroy the world. Turns out, due to that very investigation he falls in love with her, and doesn't want to destroy the world anymore.
- Sensible Heroes, Skimpy Villains: Oh so played straight with the way Ms. Epistola dresses compared to Andi.
- He Is All Grown Up: Vic at the end.
- Shout-Out: Two to Harry Potter, both hidden in Uncle Neil's shop.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: Two in the series including the Necromonicon
- X Meets Y: Twilight meets the Cthulhu Mythos.
- You Go Girl: Andi confronting Riley.