Woe to the fictional parents of the Trickster Twins. They are a set of siblings that are always up to no good in pursuit of sadistic delight. They are a magnet for trouble (either attracting it or causing it) and have to find a way through a series of convoluted plans
to escape the situation.
The traits most common to a set of Trickster Twins is that they're pranksters or entertainers. Their antics are usually for comic relief, but other times, their tricks can be far more sinister. Trickster Twins also tend to have the good-natured compulsion to pick on or tease the rest of the cast. If they target a single character out of the entire cast, that victim is usually the Butt-Monkey
They are fond of the Twin Switch
. May overlap with Think Twins
depending on their cunning.
Anime and Manga
- Kaoru & Hikaru in Ouran High School Host Club. (They even appear as Cheshire Cats during a homage to Alice In Wondeland.)
- Shion & Mion in Higurashi: When They Cry. Sometimes, it's funny. Other times, it's not funny at all.
- Fuuka & Fumika Narutaki in Mahou Sensei Negima!. Notably, Fumika is more reserved and often states that Fuuka's pranks aren't such a good idea, but she always gets dragged along and always gets into it anyways.
- Kazuo and Masao Tachibana in Captain Tsubasa have some traits of this, specially since both of them are deadpan snarkers. They have even come to weaponize their trickery, as many of their shared in-game tricks relay on acrobatics and their Think Twins antics.
- Ami and Mami Futami from The Idolmaster can be read more about below. In Petit iDOLM@STER, their puchi counterparts take this further. Each puchi has a single strange power or exaggerated trait, and for Koami and Komami, it's that they do little else but play over-the-top pranks on everyone else, even when there was no logical opportunity for them to have set it up.
- Pride High has Smash and Crash. They finish each others' sentences, can trade places with one another in an instant (which they slyly use while wrestling) and remain the most devious of the the prime group of antagonists.
- In Sight Ukitake's zanpakuto, Sougyo no Kotowari are a very mischevious pair of twins who Speak in Unison, play pranks on Ichigo and play Kidou Tag which consists of them firing kidou at Ichigo while he runs away.
- Brave has identical triplets Harris, Hubert and Hamish. Among their antics, they steal cakes, cut off part of a sleeping guard's mustache, and tie their father's peg leg to a table so he flips it when he gets up.
- Harry Potter: Fred and George Weasley cause humorous trouble for their family and for Hogwarts. When they grow up, their deviousness becomes the seed for their own company; Weaseley Wizard Wheezes, a joke shop.
- Bonnie and Beanie, the little teleporters from Theodore Sturgeon's More Than Human.
- The relationship between the two eponymous rascal boys in Wilhelm Busch's Max and Moritz is not specified, but they have a common uncle, which indicates they are either cousins or twin brothers.
- Mufus and Bufus Doolan in Robin Jarvis' Hagwood books.
- Bill and Ben in The Railway Series. Edward and BoCo are the only ones who can keep them in order.
- Donald and Douglas had a bit of a tricksy streak when they first arrived on Sodor, pulling a few Twin Switch gambits to each get the other out of trouble, but once their place on the island was secure for both of them, they toned this down.
- Hans and Fritz, the Katzenjammer Kids.
- The Blossom Twins in the UK Wrestling scene and Ohio Valley. Unlike most Tag Team Twins, they're more mischievous than actively malevolent.
- Mungojerry and Rumpleteazer are a notorious couple of cats, knock-about clowns, quick change comedians, tight-rope walkers and acrobats! However, it is argued among Cats fans whether they are twins, brother and sister or something else entirely, but due to their very almost identical markings and that they often hang out together it is mostly assumed that they are twins...
- The Cake twins in Slice of Life have shades of this, particularly Pumpkin.
- The Arrow twins in Ava's Demon show this in their short time in the comic thus far.