Two English red squirrels. One American muscle car. And a whole payload of mishaps!Transmission
is a furry webcomic
created by Mark Alexander Smith about red squirrels Russell and Reggie, who are identical twins. They are English car mechanics living in Southern California.
Most of the comic's story arcs revolve around British and American cultural divisions, but also around the characters love of motoring and exploration. The comic was inspired by the author's own trips to America.Follow it here.
- The Alleged Car: The Plymouth GTX was quite literally falling apart when Russell bought it, he largely managed to restore it though, gas mileage notwithstanding.
- Amusing Injuries: Nick often breaks his hand when he is teaching more risky stunts in martial arts.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Trevor
- Britain Is Only London: Averted, big time. The twins, who are Midlanders, take offence to the staff in a British themed Las Vegas casino who are putting on fake posh accents.
- British Accents: During the Vegas arc the twins remind some of the Britannia's staff that Posh and Cockney aren't the only dialects in England.
- The Cameo: A grown-up Millie from Ozy and Millie makes an appearance here, and other characters belonging to furry artists the author knows appear in the background occasionally.
- The Casanova: Reggie manages to get quite a few one-nighters. Multiple girls at a music festival, some random lady every now and then, a 41-year-old rockstar...
- Cool Car: The red Plymouth Belvedere GTX muscle car that Russell drives. Reggie gets to drive some others too.
- Coordinated Clothes: Averted; most notably in that Russell usually wears green and Reg usually wears orange. Though the twins wear the same colour of trousers, their shoes are also different.
- Creator Cameo: The author himself appears in the background on occasion. Particularly this strip where he and Thom Alun Jones take up the entire last panel.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: "Why did the car explode?"
- Evil Twin: Reg, according to Russell, though he is hardly a saint himself.
- Feather Fingers: Lampshaded here
- Football Hooligans: The twins are Stoke City fans, but have been subjected to random assaults by fans of local rivals Port Vale as one strip pointed out.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Reggie wears orange, Russell green
- I Know Karate: Nick, who is a black belt who trains students at the local dojo.
- Interspecies Romance: Russ, Eurasian red squirrel, and Tiffany, an American grey wolf. Until they broke up, Russ is currently looking at a ferret girl.
- Reg seems to have a lot of one-night stands with several different girls, all different species.
- Long-Lost Relative: How the twins procured their business in Los Angeles in the first place.
- Los Angeles: The primary setting of the comic.
- The Midlands: The twins and their family are natives of Stoke-On-Trent.
- Oop North: Though Stoke-On-Trent is technically in the Midlands, it arguably has more in common with the North than the South of England.
- Quintessential British Gentleman: Again, pretty much averted.
- The Stoner: Trevor and Nick, but for entirely different reasons.
- Stupid Sexy Otter: Regular ladies' squirrel Reggie gets a tad distracted by surf coach Howard's shapely, tail.
- íThree Amigos!: Russ, Reg and Trevor in the Las Vegas story arc.
- Tomboy: Russ's current girlfriend Linda, to an extent, she's a computer engineer and wanted to build Battlebots when she was a kid. Tim's wife, Willow, is an even bigger one, they met when he pulled her over for street racing.
- Trickster Twins: Russ and Reg, of course.
- Twin Switch: This happens occasionally. Such as the time Russ stole a hooker Reg hired in Vegas.