Strip Poker, as the name suggests
, is any Poker
game that involves the loss of one's clothing. Either as a penalty of sorts (for folding or losing, for example), or from the clothes being anted in a hand.
Most setups will usually involve one or more attractive women, and the male character eagerly looking forward to making at least one lose her shirt... among other garments. More often than not, however, the scene usually switches to the almost fully clothed woman at the table displaying her Royal Flush
to a group of guys in varying states of undress — but with at least one in his underwear. Unfortunately, these are often the types of men no woman wants to see naked
. Of course, Naked People Are Funny
A common variant involves a regular game of poker where one player is losing so badly that he eventually resorts to betting any stuff he happens to have with him when attempting to win his money back, eventually literally losing the shirt off his back (and the other clothes, as well). May result in a Shameful Strip
if the loser is not eager to disrobe.
This game, more often discussed than actually played, has been the basis for several computer games, as well as two game shows
: Strip Poker
on USA Network
on Finland's SubTV
Subtrope of Humiliating Wager
. See You Can Leave Your Hat On
for stripping without the poker pretext.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Variation in Mahou Sensei Negima! One of the girls in Negi's class asks if the students can play Baseball Janken, a quiz game to help review for the big test. Negi approves. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, as the case may be) he's too innocent/uninformed to know that the game's primary rule appears to be "answer a question wrong, lose an article of clothing." The Baka Rangers get stripped to their underwear within four minutes.
- In Ranma ½, in order to defeat the infamous Gambling King, Ranma "trains" with Uky#333; and Akane by playing Old Maid. By morning, he's down to his underwear and the girls own not only his clothes, but many, many IOUs for his services.
- Faye and Jet from Cowboy Bebop. She cheats. It's plain ordinary gambling (with dice, in this case). Jet just has lost everything in his possession he's willing to bet, so he only has his clothes to put on the line.
- Gravion Zwei begins with the Gran Knights having to do chores after Eiji loses big against the Maids in a game that left him down to his boxers. Rather than lose those (much to the maids' disappointment), he bet the team's services.
- In a filler arc of Dragon Ball Z, Krillin's girlfriend Maron plays this with Korin and Yajirobe. Naturally she ends up winning Yajirobe's clothing and Korin's items.
- In Gamble Fish, there is a strange variation of Strip Dice: dice are rolled and the two girls playing must come up with a prime number by combining the dice numbers in some fashion. It must be a higher number than the previous turn. If you give a prime number, the opponent loses an article of clothing. If the number you give isn't prime, you lose an article. Later, there is a high-stakes poker match in which Tomu's harem has to take off clothing in his stead.
- Davis starts to suggest a game of this in the dub version of Digimon's Christmas Episode. Yes, the dubbed version. While the girls (more specifically, his crush Kari) are in the room. My, my... To be fair it is cut off after "Strip", and is really more of a Parental Bonus.
- In D.Gray-Man, Allen plays this with Tyki Mikk and his human friends, leaving them without their clothes. One volume of the manga also has a joke inner cover, where it's Tyki and Lavi Allen stripped to their underwear.
- The Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise arc of Black Lagoon combines this with a Shameful Strip for a villainous version. After Yukio is captured, her captors play strip bowling. For every strike they remove a piece of clothing from her. By the time we see her she has lost her shoes, socks, skirt and bra, but for some reason she can still cover herself with her (unbuttoned) shirt.
- In the Asobi ni Iku yo! OVA, the female Catia cast play strip mahjong, strip poker, strip chess, and strip Rock-Paper-Scissors.
- In Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai., they play Strip Poker in episode 10, to prevent Ryosuke from finding out the truth about the situation. It ends with all girls in just their underwear, and Ryosuke gets a Royal Straight Flush. Then they find out he was cheating.
- A one-off chapter of Hayate the Combat Butler has Miki reveal that she had her father's company make a deck of cards where half of them were transparent, creating some interesting new strategies since your opponent could see at least some of your cards and vice versa. Hinagiku shows up after a demonstration and wants to play, with Miki instantly declaring that Hina has to strip if she loses...and making Izumi strip instead of herself if Hina wins. After some obvious goading to her competitive nature, Hina agrees. Miki realized how screwed she was when Hina got an all-transparent royal flush. For Fanservice Izumi did actually strip after each hand despite her complaints.
- In one issue of Marvel Comics' Cable & Deadpool, the latter title character is playing one of these with Bob From HYDRA, Outlaw and Sandi Brandenberg, with only Deadpool down to his skivvies (or less; the characters are shown only from the waist up), until Cable gives him a hint ("She's bluffing") over a psychic link. Later the girls are seen propositioning The Thing for a similar game.
- The XXXenophile story "Fool's Mate" has a woman playing strip chess. Against her dog!
- In Issue 3 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8, Andrew complains about how he's bored out of his mind since all the (hot, teenage, female) slayers just want to play strip poker with each other.
- In one strip of Le Petit Spirou, Spirou is running around the house wearing around fifteen layers of clothing, looking for a deck of cards. His grandfather asks him what the hell he's doing, to which Spirou answers he's going to play the game Gramps taught him. Gramps gets angry and forbids him to play for money, at which point Spirou asks why he'd want to play for money, and we cut to Spirou's similarly attired friends and Suzette in a bathing suit.
- The Boys: Resident lunatics Frenchman and the Female are seen to play reverse strip poker. With Clue pieces. On a Monopoly board.
- One Over the Hedge strip had the animals playing "dress" poker, lowest ranking hand had to put on clothes.
- In Zits Jeremy and Hector once got caught playing strip HORSE (HORSE is a one-on-one variant of basketball, more information at The Other Wiki here) in the former's driveway. Another time Jeremy and his friends played poker where they could bet anything but money, the bets often involving wacky outfits.
Films — Animation
- The first Toy Story movie features Hamm and Mr. Potato Head playing Strip Battleship. Which raises the question of what would have happened if Potato Head won. Hamm would have probably to give up some of the loose change inside him (he's a piggy bank).
Hamm: No, no, not the ear. Gimme the nose, c'mon.
Mr. Potato Head: (nasally) How about three out of five?
Films — Live-Action
- Referenced in a brief (no pun intended) joke in Weird Al's UHF: Strip Solitaire!
- Sort-of example: In Restoration, Robert Downey Jr.'s character stops at a roadside Three-Card Monte game. Jump cut later, and he's nearly nude, having lost all his money and clothes.
- What's New Pussycat? Woody Allen recalls playing strip chess with a girl: "She had me down to my shorts and I fainted from tension."
- J.D. and Veronica play (off-screen) strip croquet in Heathers.
- The remake of The Parent Trap has two girls (who are actually twins, both played by Lindsay Lohan) playing poker against each other. Hallie suggests the loser jump into the lake, naked. Annie, holding a straight flush (non-royal), agrees. Then Hallie reveals a royal flush... After Annie jumps into the lake, Hallie and her gang run off with the clothes.
- Dallas Doll features people playing Strip Golf.
- Shown in American Pie 2.
- The Hugh Grant movie Two Weeks Notice features his character playing strip chess with his pretty, red-headed new lawyer.
- Three of the counselors at Camp Crystal Lake play Strip Monopoly in Friday the 13th (1980).
- Captain Ron also features the Strip Monopoly variant.
- Joysticks features people playing strip video games.
- Terror Toons has Strip Ouija.
- In the somewhat obscure Australian movie One Night Stand, four teens hide out in a theater while a nuclear holocaust happens outside. They decide to play strip poker at one point, resulting in all the kids in their underwear. One boy loses his briefs and, from the girls' reaction, came up a little short.
- In The Movie of Man About The House, Robin tries to trick the girls into a game of strip poker. The girls work out what he was doing and agree. Chrissie turns out to be card shark (and Jo folds every hand), so Robin hands up stripped naked.
- Louise Erdrich's Love Medicine has a woman and her husband recalling how they and his brother had played strip poker, and she won because she had a lot of accessories.
- Jeffrey Archer's book A Twist in the Tale includes a short story about chess, and particularly a game of strip chess which sounds fairly similar to the vodka advert mentioned above. The titular twist is probably not entirely surprising to a savvy reader though.
- In Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49, Oedipa Maas and Metzger play Strip Botticelli.
- There's one essay by David Sedaris in Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim about how he was invited to a sleepover by several boys in his neighborhood, and how a game of strip poker/attempt at borderline-hazing was derailed when he discovered that a) he was very, very good at poker and b) he liked guys.
- In one of the Grange Hill novelisations there is a reference to two of the kids playing strip snap, as it was the only card game the girl knew the rules of. The person who lost the first round attempted to play it cute by removing one shoelace, at which point they were busted by the teachers.
- Lilly plays strip bowling with a bunch of other teenagers in the castle in one of The Princess Diaries books, causing Mia to freak out.
- Referenced in To Kill a Mockingbird; when Atticus demands to know why Jem isn't wearing pants (after he loses them while sneaking around the Radley property), Dill lies and says he won them off him in a game of strip poker and accidentally left them there.
- The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. Tatiana accuses her husband of cheating in order to get her clothes off. He points out that he doesn't need to play poker to do that.
- 3rd Rock from the Sun: Mary plays with some of her and Dick's students (there must be a rule against this!) One of them decides to surrender their briefs instead of their socks on the grounds that their feet would get cold.
- Hawkeye and Trapper play with a nurse, and Hawkeye demands that the others turn their heads before he will remove his dogtags. To make things worse for them, it was really, really cold outside.
- Speaking of "really, really cold," one of the later "winter" episodes features everyone bundled up in all the cold weather gear they own, playing strip poker. Of course, because it's really, really cold, losers leave the table when they're down to just "one coat, two gloves, one hat, one scarf," so maybe this doesn't really count as Strip Poker.
- In another episode, a general walks in on a game of two-person strip dominoes. The guy was down to his skivvies and the nurse was still fully dressed.
- Chuck: Jeff and Lester of the Nerd Herd, along with Morgan, have weekly poker games. When Captain Awesome is invited out to one after being put in the doghouse with Elle, he comes to the uncomfortable realization that it isn't just any poker — it's strip poker, but only with sad, unattractive men as the players. With the exception of the good captain, they all seem to have a pretty good time with it, though.
- Mad About You: We see Jamie finally winning the underwear of a group of Paul's friends. Thankfully, the scene ends quickly.
- Three's Company: "Snow Job"
- Friends. Joey kept bugging the others to play a game of strip poker. They eventually give in to shut him up, but because they can't find cards they end up playing strip Happy Days Game. The rest of them spend the whole game getting him to take his clothes off. Monica had also lost a few rounds and her pants by the time the game ended. Later in the episode, Joey tried to convince Chandler to play him in a one on one game.
- Hustle, forcing Danny Blue to wear nothing but a strategically placed pillow.
- Subverted in the reality show Beauty And The Geek: One of the challenges had the girls playing poker and betting on the guys' clothes.
- Double subverted in an episode of the revamped Battlestar Galactica; a woman playing strip poker is seen peeling off her shirt, revealing her bra, but as the camera wanders around the scene, it is eventually revealed that one of the men she is playing against is pretty much naked.
- An actual game show in the early 2000's called Strip Poker which aired on USA and that network's stable of local stations which had switched from the Home Shopping Network to program a CITY-TV like format for a bit until the ratings didn't pan out and USA sold them out to Univision. Basically not at all Exactly What It Says on the Tin; the contestants wore four layers of underwear and no thanks to the FCC and USA's advertisers, never got below that last layer. The title promised so much, but it ended up as exciting as playing with paper dolls.
- In an episode of Swingtown, the teenage characters play a game of strip poker in which the girls beat the guys quite handily.
- A Saturday Night Live sketch featuring the androgynous Pat had a mixed-gender group try to determine the character's gender with a game of strip poker. Pat loses the first round and a belt. Cut to the end of the game, and Pat's fully dressed while everyone else is practically naked.
- Psych, in the episode "Tuesday the 17". Includes the conceited camp counselor who has removed everything but his shoes and socks (much to the discomfort of every other male).
- Dog Eat Dog
- Strip Hangman/Darts/Quarterback/Golf were among the challenges.
- Host Brooke Burns once opened the show in the nude with a golf club saying, "Somebody has to get a hole in one or they might have to get naked!"
- In the The L Word episode "Lesson Number One", Helena plays strip gin against Catherine in an attempt to clear her gambling debts.
- Near the end of the Mork and Mindy episode "Mork The Monkey's Uncle", Mork attempts to play strip solitaire. And of course, he's losing fast.
- On one Love Connection segment, contestant Victoria Upton tells Chuck Woolery and the audience that she and her date, Dwayne played strip backgammon. Dwayne won.
- Sammy J finds himself on the losing end of a game he started in an attempt to find out who was inside a Wilderness Society possum suit on a Good News World sketch.
- Subverted in Castle: Castle dares Beckett to play strip poker, but she decides she would rather play for gummies.
- They do have a game later in Season 5.
- In the second episode of Puberty Blues, Sue arrives home to find her parents and a group of other adults playing a strip version of 'Strip Jack Naked' (a.k.a. 'Beggar Thy Neighbour').
- In a Broke Episode (well, more broke than usual) of The Young Ones, the lads play a round of Strip Poker in which they burn the lost items of clothing as a heat source, having already run out of furniture and all other fuel. Rik is quickly left in his shirt and underpants, because the others convinced him that people with an R in their name get only one card.
- There was an episode of Lois and Clark with the titular characters playing that. There were constant accusations by Lois that her husband uses X-Ray vision.
- The late '80s/early '90s Italian game show Colpo Grosso (and its German version, Tutti Frutti as well as the Brazilian version, Cocktail) was an elaborate form of strip-poker: contestants had to strip when they were low on points after playing various games. Also, the points were used to have professional strippers remove items of clothing.
- Ashes to Ashes: Ray and Chris manage to convince two buxom blonde twins to play strip poker, however Chris's lack of knowledge in poker means that he ends up losing most of the hands... much to Rays disappointment.
- The crew plays this in one episode of Red Dwarf; Kryten the android proves to be at a severe disadvantage, as he has no clothes and must detach body parts.
- Community: In "Digital Estate Planning", the characters explore the town and Troy and Pierce later return completely naked. When asked what happened to their clothes, Troy answers, "Pierce taught me poker. I'm...not good at it."
- In a Strip Trivia variant, a Japanese game show called Strip Questions had a female contestant strip naked behind a pane of glass that had strips of paper embedded in it, creating the effect of a Venentian blind between her shoulders and her thighs. The host would then begin reading off a series of trivia questions; each missed question meant a strip was pulled away, revealing more of the embarrassed contestant.
- In the song "Sofa King" by Danger Doom on their debut album The Mouse and the Mask, there is a line referring to a "game of strip limbo."
- In the music video for "Poker Face", a game is played and everyone but Lady Gaga loses their clothes.
- Uniting Nations' video for Out Of Touch.
- In the video for the song "Temptations" by Tupac Shakur, there is a game of strip poker going on (and lots of couples having Idealized Sex) in a sleazy motel.
- The video for "Lovin' Every Minute Of It" by Loverboy pans through several rooms of a hotel where the band members are each engaged in different activities; in one room, one of the band members is playing strip poker with several ladies.
- On October 10, 2006, WWE's ECW show featured, along with the matches, Extreme Strip Poker. All women.
- On the December 8, 1997 edition of Monday Night Raw, D-Generation X played strip poker at ringside. By the time the game broke up, Shawn Michaels was down to his underwear and Triple H had lost his shirt, but Chyna was still fully dressed.
- Once in 2000, the APA (Faarooq and Bradshaw) were playing cards with Test and Albert, who lost all their money. To keep the game going, they worked out a deal: if Test & Albert lost a hand, their manager, Trish Stratus, had to take off a piece of clothing. By the end, Trish was about to have to take her panties off when her guys attacked the APA.
- "Strip Trivia" on the Don And Mike Show
- Parodied on I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, in a round called "Strip Quiz" where the players (supposedly) had to remove an item of clothing if they answered incorrectly. Everybody got extremely easy questions they had no difficulty answering... apart from Tim Brooke-Taylor, who got impossible ones.
- Studio Gainax made a series of strip mahjong games, including one starring the cast of Neon Genesis Evangelion. This is actually pretty standard dōjinshi for milking the cash out of a successful franchise. Start with a popular game, add the promise of ecchi, produce it for little cost, profit.
- One puzzle in Zork: Grand Inquisitor requires you to play strip Fire-Water-Grue.
- One of Gaia Online's Random Item Generator minigames begins with the casino's Cardbot demanding a game of Strip Poker from its (human) coworkers. Cardbot loses.
- One of the household entertainment items that can be played by The Sims. It was even the subject of one of the commercials
- You can do this in Dead Rising 2 while in hiding with various survivors. The women cover up as they are rendered topless.
- Implied in the second Knights of the Old Republic with the mention of "Nar Shadaa rules" for Pazaak.
- Leisure Suit Larry 7 had a game of strip liar's dice, and the player has to actually win in order to progress.
- There is a company called Torquemada Games which released 3 Strip Poker games with full format videos. One is a Gender Flip version.
- There's at least one billiards video game where the CPU character is a hot/cute-looking girl who, upon losing advantage, first strips down to her unies, and then strips naked once she definitely loses.
- The H-Game Snow Sakura has this. Though there's not much naughty element going on.
- On a Rocko's Modern Life episode, Mrs. Bighead gets Heifer and Rocko naked in a few rounds of strip poker.
- Parodied on an Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (the goofy one) episode where Scratch and Grounder "strip" and lose their mechanical parts to Sonic in several rounds of strip poker.
- In Futurama, Bender uses his "lucky glasses" (X-ray specs) to cheat at poker and ends up wearing clothes from all the other players. Meanwhile Zoidberg loses almost everything he's wearing.
- The premiere episode of The Venture Bros. has Samson losing at strip poker. Once down to his underwear, he gladly complies. Cue spring sound effect.