Creator: David Sedaris
David Sedaris is an American humor writer born in 1956. He is known mostly for his autobiographical essays, which cover a variety of subjects from his childhood and family to his drug-abusing, odd-job-working, performance-art-dabbling-in years to living abroad in France, Japan and the U.K. with his long-time boyfriend, Hugh.His first mainstream recognition came in 1992 when NPR aired The Santaland Diaries, his story about working as an elf in a Macy's one Christmastime. Since then he's become one of the most popular humorists writing today, including outside the U.S., and has published several books.He is the brother of Amy Sedaris and has used recollections of her, quite mercilessly, in his writings. One short story was so near the bone it made her cry.His essay collections are:
- Barrel Fever (1994)
- Naked (1997)
- Holidays on Ice (1997)
- Me Talk Pretty One Day (2000)
- Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim (2004)
- When You Are Engulfed in Flames (2008)
- Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls (2013)
- Dark Reprise: "Now We Are Five" is this to "The Ship Shape."
- Harsher in Hindsight: Try reading anything he's ever written about Tiffany, especially "Put a Lid On It," after reading "Now We Are Five."
- Leaving Food For Santa: In "Santaland Diaries", he describes how he, as a Macy's elf, had to go through a routine with a Mall Santa where he would find out what kind of cookie each kid was going to leave out and then claim it was Santa's favorite.This afternoon Santa got an Asian child who wasn't familiar with the idea of leaving cookies. Santa asked what she was going to leave him to eat, and she got a puzzled look on her face. He said, "Something round to eat?" and she said, "A potato?"
- Wham Episode: Several:
- "Ashes": His mother dies of lung cancer.
- "Repeat After Me": The first time he ever talks about the ramifications of writing about his family.
- "The Smoking Section": After spending decades as a pro smoking advocate, he gives up smoking for good.
- "Now We Are Five": Tiffany Sedaris's suicide.