Amy Sedaris (born March 29, 1961) is an actress and comedian, best known as Jerri Blank on the cult TV series Strangers with Candy. She has also written a book called I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence.She is the younger sister of the humorist and This American Life contributor David Sedaris. Despite being the Butt Monkey in several of his tales of the Sedaris family, they are said to be very close friends as adults; they're certainly close enough to write plays together as "The Talent Family".
This actress provides examples of:
- Beauty Inversion: Sedaris wanted to avert Hollywood Homely for her character in Strangers With Candy, so she made the character into The Grotesque.
- Irony: She is currently appearing in a TV advert for a washing machine additive, and is dressed as the perfect Stepford Wife in fifties clothes and hairdo. It is obvious she's exaggerating the stereotype for laughs; and the pose becomes hilarious when you discover she is also Jeri Blank...
- Older Than They Look
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: She stands at only five feet tall.
- Real Women Don't Wear Dresses: Averted- Even though she's one of the best living arguments against the whole "Women can't be funny or strong" claim, she's often seen dressed like a Fairy Princess Homemaker.
- Refuge in Audacity: If you've seen her show, you know what we're talking about.
- "Sesame Street" Cred