Film: Captain Ron
Captain Ron is a 1992 comedy starring Kurt Russell and Martin Short.The film opens with Chicago businessman Martin Harvey (Short), and his family (wife Katherine, daughter Caroline, and son Benjamin), finding out that they've just inherited a vintage yacht that once belonged to Clark Gable. Upon arriving in San Pomme-De-Terre to claim it, the Harveys realize they need to hire someone to help them sail it to Miami so they can sell it. Unfortunately, that 'someone' turns out to be the bumbling, mischievous, eyepatch-sporting rascal, Captain Ron (Russell). With his somewhat dubious nautical skills and excessively laid-back attitude, Captain Ron ends up taking the Harveys on a wild adventure around the Caribbean, and while he manages to charm the rest of the family along the way, he ends up causing some serious tension with Martin himself.
This film contains examples of:
- Big Damn Heroes: Both Captain Ron and The United States Coast Guard toward the end.
- Bilingual Bonus: San Pomme-De-Terre translates to "Saint Potato" (a mix of Spanish and French), and the name of the pirates' ship, "Albondiga", is Spanish for "Meatball".
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Caroline.
- Bumbling Dad: Martin.
- Catapult Nightmare
- Character Title
- Eyepatch of Power/Glass Eye: Captain Ron.
- Male Gaze: Captain Ron loves him some Katherine and Caroline...
- Precision F-Strike:Captain Ron: We're all gonna fuckin' die!
- Ruthless Modern Pirates
- Shower of Awkward: When Captain Ron catches Martin and Katherine "playing 'hide-the-salami' in the shower".
- Spit Take: Benjamin, upon learning of his parent's shower antics.
- Strip Monopoly
- Waking Non Sequitur:Captain Ron: I didn't do it! I didn't do it, I swear!
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Not only does Captain Ron spend most of the movie without a shirt on, he even spends a couple of scenes wearing only a snug little Speedo, and another scene shows him in his underwear, a pair of itty-bitty briefs. Good thing he has the physique for it, otherwise...