Film: Two Weeks Notice
In this Romantic Comedy, filandering Millionaire Playboy George Wade (Hugh Grant) is the front man for a construction company. He hires Granola Girl lawyer Lucy Kelson (Sandra Bullock), who hates everything George stands for but agrees because it will save her hometown community center. Over the course of a year of working together he begins to rely on her more and more, until he cannot make a single decision without her input. She realizes she's more of a nanny than a legal employee, and gives her titular resignation. That's when the fun really starts...
Two Weeks Notice provides examples of:
- Break Away Pop Hit: The Counting Crows cover of "Big Yellow Taxi" is probably much more well-known than this movie, where it debuted.
- Flushing Toilet, Screaming Shower: George, to Howard. Howard knows him well enough to call him off as he's about to do it again.Howard: Why do you always find that so funny?George: It's very hard to say.
- Girl Friday: Although Lucy's job really isn't this, she ends up being the classic Girl Friday for George.
- Mistaken for Pregnant: Polly. Poor George! He's not falling for that one again...
- Not What It Looks Like: Sure, it looks like they're in the men's room, and Lucy is on her knees next to George, unable to get up. Well, OK, that part is true.
- Potty Emergency: Lucy after the tennis match and chili dogs. And the cookies. And the...
- Saving the Orphanage: This is the reason Lucy agrees to work for Wade in the first place.
- Strip Poker: Well, OK, technically June and George are playing strip chess.
- Tyop on the Cover / Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma: Apparently this was the impetus for Lynne Truss to write Eats, Shoots & Leaves, a book about punctuation and the misuse thereof. She saw a poster for this film and noticed, to her horror, that there was no apostrophe after the word "weeks".