Pinball: Playboy (Stern)
The Girls are Waiting for You...Playboy (Stern) is a Physical Pinball Table designed by Dwight Sullivan and George Gomez, with art by Kevin O'Connor. It was released in 2002 by Stern Pinball, and is the third licensed pinball based on the popular men's publication.Eschewing all pretense of modesty, this game fully and unapologetically embraces its skin magazine heritage. The primary objective is to collect twelve Playmates and start the Mansion Mania Wizard Mode, but along the way are various ancillary tasks, such as spinning the Magazine Rack, hitting the Peek-A-Boo beaded curtains, and unfolding the playfield Centerfold for three-ball multiball and a chance at the Triple Jackpot. Go for a Photo Shoot, join in a Pajama Party, and roll down the Tease Screen, but don't get too distracted on your way to becoming the next Playboy Champion.This game is notable for coming with three different sets of playfield inserts, allowing operators to set up the game with clothed, topless, or fully nude Playmates. Aside from the sex appeal, it's regarded as a middling game by most pinheads, one that's easy enough for the masses but not challenging enough for expert players. Even so, the game does have its supporters, who insist they enjoy it strictly for its old-school gameplay.
This Playboy pinball demonstrates the following tropes:
- Adjustable Censorship: In addition to the different Playmate photos on the playfield, the game can be set to include or omit nude images on the display for the "Strip Poker" and "Photo Shoot" events.
- Distinguished Gentleman's Pipe: Hugh Hefner is shown with one on the backglass.
- Emerging from the Shadows: The "Tease Screen", which is gradually unrolled to reveal a Playmate behind it.
- Fanservice: The whole point of the game, really.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The player must collect twenty-five Playboy rabbit icons for each Playmate. Yes, that's three hundred all together...
- The Immodest Orgasm: Sound effects include a wide assortment of "ooohs," "aaahs," and moans.
- Licensed Pinball Table
- No Name Given: The twelve Playmates to be collected, who are simply identified as "Miss January," "Miss February," etc.note
- Nipple and Dimed: Averted with the topless and nude inserts.
- No Plot? No Problem!: Unabashedly so.
- Pajama Party: One of the game's events.
- Pin Up: The three illustrated Playmates on the playfield adopt classic pin-up poses.
- Playboy Bunny: Prominently seen on the backglass and the sides of the backbox; there are also a few on the playfield.
- Sex Sells: The advertisements for this game show off several scantily-clad Playmates hiding behind the pinball table itself.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: All of the Playmates, without exception.
- Sigil Spam: The Playboy rabbit logos scattered all over the playfield.
- Skill Shot: Gently launch the ball to open the playfield magazine.
- Strip Poker: One of the game's events.
- Wizard Mode: "Mansion Mania," available after collecting all twelve Playmates.
- Wolf Whistle: Played at the start of a game.
- Playmate: "Hit it again!"