Recap / South Park S 16 E 7 Cartman Finds Love
: April 25, 2012
Cartman sets up Token with a new black girl because they are two of the same race, but when she says she likes Kyle, Cartman plays matchmaker to make her and Token into (what he thinks is) a perfect couple.
"Cartman Finds Love" contains examples of:
- Boomerang Bigot: Nichole's dad disapproves of Nichole dating Token because Token is black. Guess which race Nichole and her family is.
- However, it's downplayed he doesn't hate black people. He's just concerned that Nichole might believe that she can only date people who are the same race as her.
- Call-Back: Wendy mentions that she once dated Token.
- Never Trust a Trailer: The episode's synopsis says "Now, to make sure nobody gets in the way of true love, it is time for Cartman to finally let someone know exactly how he feels." The "true love" was initially meant to trip the audience up, and make them believe he was in love with Nicholenote (when he really wants her to end up with Token). So, that special "someone"? Kyle, apparently
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: Cartman sets Token and Nichole up out of the racist belief that people should only be with their own kind. It's only by coincidence that Token and Nichole happen to make a great couple.
- A Taste of Their Own Medicine: Cartman's belief that people should only date their own kind comes back to bite him when Cupid Me sets him up with a fat girl.
- Token Minority Couple: The episode is a Decon-Recon Switch of this trope. Token eventually becomes one with the new black girl Nichole, due to Cartman's manipulation.