Some guy is skiing or snowboarding. Suddenly he trips and starts tumbling down the slope, as he tumbles, snow gathers up around him until he's now seen as a giant snowball rolling down the hill.
See also Gravity Is a Harsh Seamstress
Can overlap with Human Snowman
Anime And Manga
- A lethal version occurs in the Tintin story Prisoners of the Sun in which Captain Haddock becomes a snowball and causes the same to happen to some unfortunate mooks in the Andes. Cliff ensues, only the captain survives thanks to a rock in his way.
- Happens to Booker in a U.S. Acres comic.
Film — Animated
- A commercial for Doctors Without Borders used a rolling ball of people as a metaphor for the spread of AIDS. Travelers Insurance did a similar spot soon after Citi spun it off, using a ball of people as a metaphor for risk. Critics compared both to Katamari Damacy.
- Because Katamari Damacy can't get enough Shout-Out, there's a Traveler's Insurence commercial with this. And a normal one.
Film — Live Action
- Happens to Scrat in Ice Age.
- A scene from Kung Fu Panda 2 showed Po and the Furious Five traveling up a large snow-covered mountain. While they make their way down the other side, Po trips and starts rolling down the mountain as a whole bunch of snow gets built up around his body.
- The Three Caballeros has a segment, The Cold-Blooded Penguin, where a penguin freezes solid at the top of the hill and rolls down it, crashing through his farewell party.
- Willow has a live-action version of this.
- At the start of Christmas Catastrophe, Geronimo Stilton gets into one with another mouse, then they both hit a rock. Life sucks.
- In The Berenstain Bears story The Bears' Christmas, Papa Bear attempts to ski down a giant ramp, only trip and roll off it as a giant snowball, which proceeds to roll through town and crash into the Bears' tree house.
- Happens in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and its sequel if you hit a rock during one of the skiing sequences.
- One of the powers in the Wario Land series is exactly this (Snowman Wario). And he turns into a giant snowball seemingly INSTANTLY after standing on any form of slope or slanted ground (and can break certain blocks).
- In Wii Fit, jumping too late during the ski jump minigame causes your Mii character to miss the jump and turn into a giant snowball.
- Katamari Damacy is this trope applied with everyone. We ♥ Katamari even has an actual level where a giant snowball was the goal.
- Losing in a BIONICLE minigame.
- It's one of the powers in Kirby 64 achieved by combining 2 ice powers.
- Also the Super Ability Ice Bowl in Kirby's Return to Dream Land. Turns Kirby into the actual snowball, thus any enemy or ally that's in the way when he gets rolling will helplessly be going along for the ride.
- This happens to Mario and Luigi when they try escaping the Mount Pajamaja boss in Dreamy Mount Pajamaja in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. As well as when Mammoshka throws a gigantic snowball at a character and they fail to dodge/counter in its boss battle.
- Ymir the Tusk from Defense Of The Ancients and Video Game/Dota2 has this as a skill. Teammates can join in (sometimes unintentionally while passing nearby), which will increase the size and damage of the snowball when it is sent rolling towards the enemies.
- In Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Snowcloak has a fight with a Yeti whose Frozen Mist breath attack will turn the Spriggan Icecutters that spawn into snowballs - and then bigger snowballs if he breathes on them again. Knocking the snowballs into the Yeti is the only way to stun his Northerlies attack - or do any significant damage to him.
- Buzzsaw Louis in Veggie Tales: The Toy That Saved Christmas.
- Happens with a huge wad of gum in Chowder, with the sticky gum and music culminating into a huge Katamari Damacy Shout-Out.
- Happens to Bullwinkle in one of the opening segments on Rocky and Bullwinkle.
- Happens Katamari-style in the Ed Eddn Eddy episode "May I Have This Ed?", where a bunch of kids get stuck to Rolf's blow-fish costume.
- In one of Chuck Jones' early "Two Curious Pups" cartoons, one of the dogs falls down a snowy hill, but instead of a ball, the snow accumulates in the shape a giant dog.
- Played with in the Looney Tunes short "Daffy and Tom Turkey". Porky chases Daffy down a series of hills, with Daffy forming a snowball as he runs down the hill, then shrinking back to Daffy as it rolls up the next hill. Eventually, the snowball shrinks down to nothing, confounding Porky. Daffy, of course, is just offscreen, ready to pelt Porky with a snowball.
- Happens frequently in Dennis the Menace.
- Happens to Betty Boop in her incomprehensively strange adaptation of Snow White.
- Happens to Jerry of Tom and Jerry in the opening of Snowbody Loves Me.
- Happens to Bart and Homer in one episode of The Simpsons. They were fortunate enough to land in the outdoor jacuzzi of a nearby hotel. Upon being asked if they had any money, however, they left... by jumping back down the mountain.
- Happens in the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "Winter Wrap-Up", after Twilight's attempts to use her magic to help clear the snow goes awry.
- Happens to Amos the mouse in the Miscellaneous Disney Short Ben and Me just right after being frightened by a cat (resembling Lucifer from Cinderella) peeking through a window on his way toward Benjamin Franklin's house.
- On Jimmy Two-Shoes, Molotov actually does this to one of his own men as a battle tactic.
- Happens to Socrates and Aristotle in an episode of Adventures from the Book of Virtues.
- In a episode of Pingu titled "Pingu And The Snowball" when Pingu and Pingo are pushing a snowball, they lose their strength, and the ball chases them, and Pingo becomes a human snowball, his body shown, seemingly Squashed Flat by the ball, and the ball rolls all over the the place. At one point it smashes through a bathroom igloo. Later, it goes off a ramp placed next to Father's snowmobile, and when it lands, explodes. Father scolds Pingu after, but gets apologised and Pingo, who seemingly got hyophermia, stays at Pingu's igloo, with a warm bottle and blanket.
- Rudolphs Shiny New Year does this and makes 3 human and one reindeer snowball.
- The TV special The Berenstain Bears' Christmas Tree had Papa, Brother, and Sister ski down the mountain near the end of the special, then they trip and become snowballs. At which point they form into one snowman.
- Clumsy in The Smurfs cartoon special "The Smurfic Games" turns into a Smurf snowball when he attempts to make a ski jump run during the titular games tournament.
- In Regular Show, this happens to Eileen and Rigby when they go snow tubing.