At Play in the Fields of the Lord
is a 1965 novel by Peter Matthiessen. In 1991, Brazilian director Hector Babenco filmed an adaptation with a cast including Tom Berenger, John Lithgow
, Daryl Hannah
, Kathy Bates
, Aidan Quinn and Tom Waits
Missionaries try to save the Indian, while mercenaries try to wipe them out.Needs a Better Description
This work provides us examples of:
- The Amazon
- Badass Native: Moon
- Defector from Decadence: Moon
- Downer Ending
- Gag Penis: When Randy asks Andie how she knew Moon wanted her, she says "Don't be such a child."
- A God Am I: Moon takes on the identity of Kisu.
- Just for Pun: Nowhere/Now Here
- Loincloth: In the film version. The Niaruna wear "bellybands" in the novel. When Moon gets an erection, the bellyband hurts.
- An explanation might be required for the bellybands: In the Amazon, men bind their foreskins and tie the binding material around their waists.
- Lost Tribe: Theorized to be a lost tribe of Sioux or a lost tribe of Jews.
- Love Dodecahedron: Moon likes Andie. Randy likes Andie. Randy is married. So is Andie.
- Mighty Whitey: Deconstructed, since Moon is a halfbreed Cheyenne. Further deconstructed since he accidentally starts an epidemic of the common cold, killing them all.
- Mushroom Samba: Moon gets a lot of tropes.
- Naked on Arrival: Moon, to the Niaruna.
- National Geographic Nudity
- Native American Mythology and all associated (or at least Sioux and Cheyenne) tropes.
- A Nice Jewish Boy: Averted by Wolf, who is anything but nice.
- No-One Could Have Survived That: Moon
- Nude Nature Dance: Played with, though the film version is definitely not fanservice, since it's Kathy Bates and her character's basically gone nuts.
- Rape as Drama: Moon sees Andie naked. But he can't have her since she's married, so he goes home and rapes his wife, Pindi.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Moon wants to help the Niaruna, but in the end, he gives them the flu, which kills them.
- Shotacon: When Randy's wife says "What if one of those things lays a hand on Billy?", Randy simply replies "He might like it."