Webcomic / Namir Deiter
A Funny Animal
comic that started out with twelve-year-old Tipper Namir meeting her first boyfriend, Devin, co-starring her sister Snickers, Snickers's best friend Joy Satu, and their slightly older friend Blue Deiter. Devin dropped out of sight quickly, but the cast ballooned as each of these four became main characters in their own right, each acquiring a supporting cast of her own, Tipper's Six Student Clique
becoming especially prominent as she went through high school. The strip passes roughly in real time
, so before too long, all of them were out of high school, into college and the real world; with the marriage of Tipper and Charles in 2009 and Gabby's Victorious Childhood Friend
Joan's introduction around the same time, the strip ultimately spent its last 5-6 years as primarily a Dom Com
centered on the four of them. You can read it through this link here
The comic ended on March 20, 2015. At the time of the ending came the announcement that ND would be succeeded by the Spin-Offspring
comic, Nicole and Derek
, which would serve as a sequel to ND and You Say It First.
Namir Deiter contains examples of:
- All Men Are Perverts: Invoked when Charles and Tipper go jogging together. Charles didn't want Tipper to go jogging with him because she might assume he was only jogging to look at cute girls in shorts; one such girl calls out to him, and Tipper responds as expected. The girl in question was an old student who was getting back at Charles for giving her a bad grade.
- All There in the Manual: Tipper and Charles' son is unnamed in the comic itself. But if one checks the tags of the relevant comcs, his name is front and center. It's "Derek"
- Anticlimax: A story in late 2011, entitled "The Wagon," opens with Blue coming home drunk and Joy starting to worry about her drinking. Blue turns it around to her issues with Isaac and her miscarriage, and she drops the subject. Blue continues to drink until a 2013 storyline that doesn't mention this one.
- Anything That Moves: Jacinda
- April Fools' Day: Usually pulls something. 2009's gag was swapping the cast for that of You Say It First and vice-versa without changing the dialog. 2010 had the characters appear in human form.
- The 2014 strip peeks in on Brisbane and Kimberly of YSIF, foreshadowing Nicole and Derek (timeskip until the kids are older) and The NDU (reboot continuity and all be in college together).
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Male chests are suspiciously nipple free. (Though, to be fair, they could just be under their fur.)
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: The entire cast.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Joan was banned from cooking as she was prone to leaving the stove on and starting fires, but other than that she is a really good cook, which Charles finds out when he catches her doing Gabby's cooking. Charles and Tipper agree to let Joan cook again, which Joan likes, but they decide that next week is her turn to cook, which she doesn't.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Tipper and Charles, before getting married.
- Bi the Way: Jacinda, Isaac.
- Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp": Normal words for animals are used to refer to races - ordinary animals have recognizable characteristics with made-up names, such as "brants," which are just cats.
- Crossover: An MMORPG, Final Battle Adventure Online, appears in both Namir Deiter and You Say It First. Silver_Blossom on the You Say It First server is played by Joy.
- Death Glare: Charles gives a good one. Gabby is not fazed.
- Did They or Didn't They?: Blue and her boss, Ian. They didn't.
- Divided States of America: No drama, but Sherup is one of multiple small countries to the south of Canada.
- Downer Ending: "Burning Bridges", "Her and Her Feelings", "Unexpected plans"
- Dragged into Drag: When Blue plans to celebrate Oktoberfest, Isaac tries to get Tipper and Joy to dress up in a skimpy barmaid outfit, because if he doesn't find someone, he'll be wearing it.
- Early Installment Weirdness: An early gag panel suggested Twix had been switched at birth with the Dorpe's actual child. This is never brought up again.
- Exiled to the Couch: Gabby threatens Joan with this, when she complains that it's her turn to cook.
- Express Delivery: Less than two weeks after Tipper confirms she's pregnant, a sudden Time Skip has Charles holding their unnamed son.
- The Faceless: Mrs. Namir
- G Rated Sex: Snuggly afterglow is the most we ever see.
- Hypocritical Humor: Blue gets angry at Joy because she doesn't trust her, and rigged the Christmas presents so Blue couldn't sneak a peek at them. This happens when Joy catches Blue in the act, while she's still holding one of the incriminating presents.
- I Didn't Mean to Turn You On: Isaac, before his identity is revealed, makes the wrong kind of connection with Blue.
- I Never Told You Her Name: Isaac sees Ferdinand at the bar, and after Blue tells him that he was Joy's ex-boyfriend, he dresses up as a barmaid to chat him up. Eventually Isaac mentions Joy, and Ferdinand wonders how (s)he knows about him and Joy. Isaac panics but mentions the commotion between the two earlier, and Ferdinand realizes just how obvious it was.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Gabby, twice.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Pretty much how Joan and Gabby hooked up.
- The Ingenue: Tipper, early on.
- Insatiable Newlyweds: Tipper and Charles.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Charles.
- Lets Wait Awhile: Tipper and Charles.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: The character page doesn't even include everyone the cast page considers a major character.
- Never Gets Drunk: When Gabby and Tipper drown their sorrows and get a massive hangover the next morning, Joan says she out drank both of them, and has no signs of a hangover.
- No Biochemical Barriers: Blue and Roxanne are cats. Their half-brother, Isaac, is a rabbit.
- Not So Different: Charles and his estranged father.
- Out of Focus: Ducky in particular, right up there with Blue and Joy at one point, is practically forgotten. Bob has dropped out of sight as well, despite being prominent well after splitting with Joy.
- Present Peeking: Blue tries to do it, but Joy has thwarted her by switching the wrapping paper with fabric, and sewing the presents shut instead of wrapping them.
- Remember the New Guy: Joan was known to both Charles and Gabby well prior to her first appearance in the comic. Well enough that she offers to be Gabby's girlfriend in less than ten strips.
- Self-Inflicted Hell: Tipper and Charles and Isaac and Joy's UST-fueled mutual misery.
- Separated at Birth: Blue and Roxanne, later Isaac.
- Stalker with a Crush: Cedric.
- Take That!: Falco's cast page, which went up shortly after the second forum was taken down, includes a now-dead link to a mock-up of the forum in which she met Gabby, which blatantly shares many of the problems in that forum.
- Uncanny Valley (In-Universe): Joy's newest doll was designed to look like a real baby, and it creeps Blue out.
- Wax On, Wax Off: Tipper gets a college scholarship from "The Independent Women of Today" because half the test was doing things she had been doing as "odd jobs" for Blue for the past school year to pay off her college loan from her.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Blue, Roxanne, and Isaac. Also, Joy's pink fur.