David Cross is a comedian born April 4, 1964, in Atlanta
, Georgia. He's known for his incredibly dark, sardonic sense of humor and his decidedly left-leaning views. With Bob Odenkirk, he wrote and starred in Mr. Show
Cross is also an actor; his most famous role is Tobias Funke from Arrested Development
, and he played the titular role in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret
. He's also appeared in films ranging from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
to the Alvin and the Chipmunks
series. He's the voice of Crane in the Kung Fu Panda
. He also sang the Expository Theme Tune
for the fourth season of Cheap Seats
, and he's done guest voices for the [adult swim]
series Aqua Teen Hunger Force
and Rick and Morty
- Bald of Awesome: Cross has been bald at least since his late 20s.
- Black Comedy: A lot of this. Perfect example: His bit about the Roman Catholic sex scandal. "How do you not fuck that?"
- The Cast Show Off: Surprisingly, he's not that bad a singer, particularly at hitting high notes. He does this quite a bit in Mr. Show and even performed a song from Jesus Christ Superstar with the band Sloan.
- Cringe Comedy: He's very good at playing very socially awkward characters. But not in an adorable kind of way; more in a Too Dumb to Live kind of way. See Tobias in Arrested Development and especially The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret .
- Crosses the Line Twice: Invoked. He won't sign on to something if he isn't doing this, unless it's under certain circumstances.
- Cluster F-Bomb: His routines seem to be full of these.
- Gallows Humor: Cross claims he gave his girlfriend (see Ugly Guy Hot Girlfriend, below) a dildo, in case she gets raped. Of course, if you've seen Terror Firmer, this makes perfect sense.
- Identical Stranger: Cross looks a lot like a younger Peter Bergman.
- Large Ham: Likes to mock other people's over-enthusiasm. "They're square, mother-fuck! FUCK YOU, MOTHER-FUCK!" He's talking about bagels, by the way.
- Money, Dear Boy: Cross was pretty defensive about appearing in Alvin and the Chipmunks, which paid more money than anything he'd ever done combined, and apparently paid for his house. He did, however, go on to say that the filming of Chipwrecked was the most miserable experience of his life, urging others not to see it. He spent most of filming in a pelican suit, on a moving cruise ship. Ouch.
- Take That: He had a pretty well-documented feud with Larry The Cable Guy.