- Inverted echo example: Hey Arnold!, "Cool Party": Gerald is certain that he's cool enough to be invited to Rhonda's party, mostly because his best friend Arnold has already been invited as well. Hard cut to Rhonda telling her best friend Nadine that Gerald has been put on the geek list, much to Nadine's surprise...and Gerald's when he finds out from Phoebe.
- In fact, they played this trope into the ground over the course of the series.
- Rocket Power: Otto, wanting to go surfing while playing hooky, thinks he has tricked his dad into giving him surfboards for him and Sam via a phone call. He hangs up.
Otto: Relax, dude. Raymondo totally bought it.
* Cut to Raymondo hanging up as well*
Ray: Oh, man, I didn't buy that for a second.
- Courage the Cowardly Dog used this to do a Double Subversion of the Gilligan Cut in an episode where Muriel received free tickets for an ocean liner. Eustace, her husband, isn't interested.
: I'm not getting out of this chair. Gilligan Cut to ocean liner at sea. The scene changes to Eustace on the deck...still in his chair from the previous scene. Eustace
: Nope, I'm not getting out of this chair.
- Even funnier when the ocean liner is being attacked, and Eustace and the chair are sent flying...Eustace still refuses to leave his chair. He then spends the rest of the episode complaining, "Where's my chair?"
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: Aang's trying to sabotage a Fire Nation war machine, but the Earthbenders nearly hit him with friendly fire.
Aang: *Calling up to them* General Sun, tell your soldiers to stop shooting rocks down here!
Sun: *not hearing Aang over the noise* Soldiers, whatever you do, don't stop shooting rocks down there!
- The Simpsons does a variant of this using a single character then proceeds to give it a good old Lampshade Hanging.
Homer: "Thanks Moe, how can I ever repay you?"
Moe: "Hey, some things mean more to me than money."
[Cut to Moe being given several wads of money]
Moe: "Like a whole lot of money!"
Soldier: "Why did you just say that sentence fragment?"
- And when Homer tried to buy a hair regrowth serum, but can't because it's way out of his price range. This upsets him:
Homer: (Sobbing) Forget you, pal. Thanks for nothing.
[Cut to Homer retelling story to family.]
- And an inverted echo, when Homer fails an initial plan to crash Moe's car in an insurance scam and tries an alternate plan in full view of witnesses (including Moe):
Moe: Homer, you idiot.
Homer: Homer, you genius!
- Also inverted at the end of Treehouse of Horror VI:
Reverend Lovejoy: Be strong, Marge, I'm sure he's gone to a better place.
Homer: D'oh! Ew...this is the worst place yet.
- In Season 7 of Futurama, Fry is promoted to "Executive Delivery Boy". Hermes turns to Leela and says "It's a meaningless title that helps insecure people feel better about themselves." Fry then says, "I feel better about myself!"
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- In "Banned in Bikini Bottom". When Mrs. Grisslepuss shows up and says that she thinks Krabby Patties are too fun. Krabs says to SpongeBob that she can't close them down. Cut to Krabs, SpongeBob and Squidward standing outside a closed Krusty Krab, with Mr. Krabs shouting, "She closed us down!"
- The episode 'Idiot Box' is full of these.
- After a failed attempt to find out how the box keeps getting the sound effects:
Squidward: (Leaves the box) All right, fine. If you don’t want to show me, I don’t care! I’ve got better things to do than pace the floor wondering how you two work this thing.
(Cut back to Squidward's house)
(Pacing the floor) How do those two work that thing?
- When he had finally found a plan to find out the secret of the box:
Squidward: (Sitting in a chair) I’ll wait all night if I have to!
(Cut back to him, revealing that it is already night, the box is still ongoing)
- When he's inside the box and still can't find out the secret:
I mean, do I really believe that if I sit here and pretend to drive a race car that I’m suddenly going to start hearing noises? (Steps on the imaginary gas pedal and hears the actual noise) What the…? (Squidward turns the imaginary key) It actually works!
- Actually a subversion, the car sound effects actually come from a garbage truck, picking up the box Squidward is in.
- After Squidward ends up in the dump:
Spongebob: Hey, our box is gone!
Patrick: Oh, well.
Spongebob: I know! Let's go see Squidward!
Patrick: I hope he's not too down in the dumps today. (Music like a down noise is playing)
- The Fairly OddParents does this with Crimson Chin comics - the narrator will say what's happening to the unsuspecting citizens, and then the citizens will echo it, including a guy at the end saying, "We were so unsuspecting!"
- In "Foul Balled", Timmy sticks up for Chester after his wish to make him the best baseball player ever wears off after Chester stops being friends with him, therefore going back to his crappy baseball playing. Note that the following quote may not be accurate.
Timmy: We're 40 points up, in the 9th inning, and 3 outs left, there's no WAY you'll catch up with us!
*Cut to the scorebored where the Bankees are catching up with the Losers*
Chester: I can't believe they're catching up with us.
- Even the video games have this. In the opening cutscene to the PC version of Breakin' Da Rules:
Wanda: It could be worse, sweetie!
Cosmo: Yeah! At least your parents aren't going away for the weekend and leaving your evil babysitter Vicky in charge!
Vicky: Surprise, twerp! Your parents are going away for the weekend and left me in charge!
Cosmo: It is my gift; it is my curse!
- Used four times in an episode of Sushi Pack as it cut between Tako and Maguro hurtling toward Earth on an asteroid, and the rest of the team trying to figure out what happened to them.
Maguro: If there is a way to signal the others of our location, they could help.
*Cut to the others on Earth*
Ikura: If only we knew their location, we could help.
- Not totally sure it counts, but the very last scene of The Transformers begins with something like this.
Cerebros, on the restored Cybertron: "It's a miracle."
[Cut to the villains' base, where baddies are bickering]
Galvatron: "It's a miracle we finally got this flying junkpile of yours stabilized!"
Megatron: The Autobots would never fire on their ultimate weapon.
[Cut to Sentinel Prime slamming his fist down]
Sentinel Prime: I say we fire on [Omega Supreme] now!
- Family Guy - In "The Son Also Draws", Peter claims to be Native American to get the family car back from a casino after Lois gambles it away:
Lois: Peter, there is no way they're gonna believe you're an Indian.
*Cut to casino office*
Indian Casino Worker: He's an Indian, all right!
- "Oh, you think everyone's an Indian."
- In the Phineas and Ferb pilot "Roller Coaster":
Linda: Candace, be honest. Aren't the boys a little young to be building a roller coaster?
(Hard cut to Phineas and Ferb working on their roller coaster in - and through - a tune-up shop)
Shop Owner: Aren't you a little young to be building a roller coaster?
Phineas: Yes. Yes I am.
- That exchange, in various forms, turns into a Running Gag as the series goes on.
- Repeated in Roller Coaster; The Musical, except after Linda asks it (Candace responding, "Yes, yes he is.") we cut to a music and dance routine version of the exchange.
- Danny Phantom; in the episode "One of a Kind", Jazz invites a representative from Genius Magazine over to attempt to demonstrate that her parents were genii, while attempting to keep a lid on the Ghost Hunting...to little or no avail. Danny had just had a fight with a ghost, leaving his room wrecked, so when the representative came up to try to talk to him, he slams the door in her face.
Danny: Jazz is going to kill me for that.
Jazz: I'm gonna kill him for that.
Danny: I sure hope things are finally under control at Amity Park.
News Reporter: Things are out of control in Amity Park.
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Frylock in the episode "The Clowning", where Carl is slowly being mutated by an outer space clown virus, Frylock runs from the room saying he knows what he's doing. Out in the hall, he tells Meatwad and Shake, "I have no freaking idea what I'm doing."
- From Cats Dont Dance, underlining a Gilligan Cut:
Sawyer: I can't do this.
Sawyer: I can't do this.
Sawyer: I can't believe I'm doing this...
- From The Chipmunk Adventure:
Simon: They're going to sacrifice Theodore tonight!
Alvin: Over my dead body!
Cut to the three of them suspended over a crocodile pit, about to be sacrificed.
Simon: You mean over our dead bodies!
- The Codename: Kids Next Door Grand Finale:
In the future
Adult Number 2: Suffice it to say, Father was not happy finding us in his house.
Father: I am not happy finding you kids in my house!
- From Invader Zim
: Anyone who would build a space-time object replacement device is a complete moron.
Zim: Gir! The space-time object replacement device is complete!
- The 1976 Christmas Special The Year Without a Santa Claus has an exchange where Santa says (of two AWOL elves): "Poor little guys. They must be scared to death," which is followed by a hard cut to one of the elves saying "I'm scared to death!"
- From the Magic School Bus, Ralphie was sick and worrying about how he was missing broadcasting day, to which his mother says that his class could do fine without him. Cut to his classmates exclaiming that they couldn't do it without him.
- From The Boondocks:
Riley: And that's when it hit me: the best idea I've ever had in my entire life.
Huey: That's the worst idea you've ever had in your entire life.
- In the Maryoku Yummy episode "Ooka Times Two," Ooka convinces Yuzu and Nonki to give their robot a test run by having it do all her chores, then goes off to play while it works. Mabui is surprised to see Ooka so soon, and asks if she finished her chores. Ooka replies, "Let's just say, I have everything under control." Back at the house, however, Yuzu cries out, "It's out of control!" as the robot goes haywire.
- From Megamind:
Roxanne: Since you left, evil is running rampant through the streets.
Megamind: I'm so tired of running rampant through the streets.
- In The Super Hero Squad Show, we get the first and second versions in one: Magneto thinks Scarlet Witch is enduring a horrible ordeal aboard the SHIELD Helicarrier. We cut to the Helicarrier with Scarlet Witch saying "I can't endure this horrible ordeal any longer!" It turns out she's on the couch with the other heroes watching videos about funny pets.
- Happens in House of Mouse in an episode where Jafar is scheduled to perform a magic act.
Mickey: They're late! Gee, I hope they're not lost.
(Cut to Jafar and Iago standing in the middle of the desert)
Iago: We are SO lost!
Jafar: Calm yourself, Iago! Mickey won't replace us!
(Cut back to the House of Mouse)
Mickey: Now who can replace them?
- Also happens in the pilot of Young Justice
Mark Desmond: He hacked the motion sensors.
(Cut to Robin with his handheld computer)
Robin: I hacked the motion sensors!
Kid Flash: Sweet!
- Here Comes the Grump:
Princess Dawn: Do you think we've given Grump the slip?
(Cut to Grump)
Grump: You will never give Grump the slip!
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- In "Owl's Well that Ends Well":
Twilight: Spike knows he can't be replaced.
Spike: They're trying to replace me!
- In "Sisterhooves Social":
Sweetie Belle: Rarity will think it's an excellent idea!
Rarity: What a ridiculous idea!
- In "Sleepless in Ponyville":
(At the clubhouse)
Sweetie Belle: And I'll get Rarity to come too! Rarity loves camping!
(Cut to the boutique)
Rarity: I despise camping!
- Wolverine and the X-Men:
Wolverine: What mutant would be stupid enough to go after Magneto's helmet anyway?
(Cut to Gambit disembarking in Genosha and whistling)
- In The Grinch Grinches The Cat In The Hat, when the Grinch starts tormenting the Cat with his "darkhouse" (basically the opposite of a lighthouse):
The Grinch: I just push a button up here in this place,
And you can't see your mitten in front of your face!
(Cut to a dark spotlight surrounding the Cat.)
The Cat: Huh? Why, I can't see my mitten in front of my face!
- In Xiaolin Showdown, Omi explains how he got to the future after being stranded in the past by Jack Spicer's incomplete time machine.
Omi: Luckily I was with Grandmaster Dashi, greatest of all Xiaolin Dragons. Surely he would have the answer!
(Cut to Dashi looking sympathetic)
Dashi: Sorry, Omi, but I don't have any time-travelling Shen Gong Wu.
Subverted in that Dashi did know how to get Omi to the present - it's just that his method involved the Sands of Time, which wouldn't be revealed for the next 1500 years or so, so Omi went ahead and just froze himself for the next 1500 years using the Orb of Tornami.
- Before that, Omi starts his story saying that when he realized his predicament, he was 'mildly upset'. Flashback to Omi running around Dashi screaming.
- Goof Troop manages to play this for drama in the second half of the pilot when Pete is about to catch PJ after he had played with Max against his father's wishes:
Pete (angry): Why, I'd recognize those tracks anywhere! PJ!
(cut to PJ's room with Pete coming up the stairs)
PJ (frightened): Oh, man, I'd recognize those footsteps anywhere! Dad!
- Used in the Sofia the First episode "Two to Tangu," with Prince Zandar trying to impress Princess Hildegard at a party and Princess Amber (and Sofia) trying to get to the party.
Zandar: In Tangu, there's no such thing as giving up.
cut to Amber lost in the jungle
Amber: I give up!
- Code Lyoko:
*clumsily maneuvering Odd's Hover Board
* How does Odd manage this thing? Aelita:
He's not afraid of falling. (Cut to Odd on the roof of the science building) Odd:
- The Legend of Korra, "Harmonic Convergence". Asami, Mako and Bolin are on a Suicide Mission, flying a plane into enemy territory.
Mako: Don't worry, there's no way they'll be expecting this.
(Cut to the Northern Water Tribe line of defense, heavily manned and fortified with cannons and mecha)
Bolin: I think they were expecting it!
- The Jetsons episode "Elroy's Mob" has Elroy switching report tapes with a classmate, not knowing that he tape he got has failing grades on it.
Elroy: Just wait until I play this for my pop. He'll never get over it.
(fade to George angry at Elroy)
get over it! Four D's, and an F and an H
- In the American Dad! episode "Francine's Flashback", Hayley is amazed that her mom was a Former Teen Rebel.
Hayley: How did she ever hook up with a stiff like Dad?
(cut to Stan sitting on the couch talking to Roger)
Stan: I'll tell you how she hooked up with a stiff like me.