Recap: Spongebob Squarepants S 3 E 4 Nasty Patty Idiot Box
Airdate: March 1, 2002It was a bright and sunny day, while Mr. Krabs was bathing in a pool of his own money. Then suddenly, The Health Inspector shows up to check the Krusty Krab. Krabs and SpongeBob talk to the health inspector, who says he wants one of everything. Krabs and SpongeBob give the health inspector a smorgasbord. After eating it, the health inspector asks for one Krabby Patty. Krabs and SpongeBob think they are in the clear, when a news report shows up. It says there is a phony "health inspector" on the loose trying to get free food. Mr. Krabs is outraged, so they decide to give him a tainted Krabby Patty, called the Nasty Patty. When attempting to eat this "Nasty Patty," he swallows a bug, and chokes to death (or so Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob believe; he actually slipped on the patty in his choking fit and hit his head on the table, knocking him out). Then another news report shows up. It says that this phony "health inspector" is completely different from the inspector reviewing the Krusty Krab. They attempt to bury the real health inspector, but the police show up. They stuff the body inside the poilce officers' car. When they get to the Krusty Krab, they have to hide the body in the freezer through the back door. Unfortunately, the back door is locked, so they have go through the front door, (while SpongeBob tries to hide the body in his hat). The police officers order Krabby Patties. The female one asks for a soda. Mr. Krabs give her one without ice, so she asks for some. They go towards the freezer, but Krabs stops them, saying there is no ice and there has never been any. Finally, Krabs and SpongeBob confess, then The Health Inspector comes out, appearing to be a zombie. The police officers beat up the "zombie." Despite this, The Health Inspector passes the Krusty Krab.
Nasty Patty contains examples of (YMMV goes HERE!!!):
- Amusing Injuries: What The Health Inspector goes through.
- Black Comedy: The entire comedy comes from SpongeBob and Krabs believing that they've killed the health inspector (he was just unconscious).
- Butt Monkey: The Health Inspector.
- Coincidental Broadcast
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: When Mr. Krabs and Spongebob try hiding the body, a slightly muted color palate is used.
- Comically Missing the Point: A rather interesting, double-layered variation occurs at the beginning, where it seems at first that SpongeBob is the one missing the point, when it's really Mr. Krabs missing the point: after hearing a news report about the false health inspector stealing food, SpongeBob suggests to Mr. Krabs that they could warn their health inspector about the fake one. Mr. Krabs then calls SpongeBob a "loony loofah" and tells him that their health inspector is the fake one.
Mr. Krabs: Now listen, SpongeBob, when we get to the Krusty Krab, I want you to take that (winks) shovel and bring it around to the back entrance and stuff...err, I mean, stow it in the freezer. Understand?"Spongebob: I understand, Mr. Krabs, but what do you want me to do with the bo—Mr. Krabs: (grabs SpongeBob's lips) —ttles of soda! Bottles of soda! Same thing, put 'em in the freezer.
- The sequence in the back of the police car with Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob, where the latter fails to understand Mr. Krabs as he cryptically gives him commands:
- Deadmans Chest
- Dramatic Irony: The male cop got a call about "two ghouls burying a stiff over by Shallow Grave Road" when we know those two ghouls were Mr. Krabs and Spongebob burying the Health Inspector.
- Gross-Up Close-Up
- Guilt Ridden Accomplice: Spongebob! He admits that he's guilty of not trying to talk Mr. Krabs out of getting back at the Health Inspector.
- Idiot Plot: Done deliberately and lampshaded in the closing narration:Narrator: Well, that's the end of our story. Yes, they are all idiots aren't they?
- It's All About Me:Mr. Krabs: It'll be the the end of you, and it'll be the end of me. But most importantly, it'll be the end of me.
- It Was a Dark and Stormy Night: Parodied in the very beginning.Narrator: It was a dark and stormy night. Nights like this always remind me of the time Spongebob and Mr. Krabs killed a health inspector. It was a bright and sunny morning...
- Jerkass Has a Point: Although Mr. Krabs is a typical cheap, miserly and tight fisted boss, what boss wouldn't be peeved that someone's posing as a Health Inspector to get free food.
- Lemony Narrator: See Idiot Plot above.
- Made of Iron: The Health Inspector.
- Never My Fault: Mr. Krabs blames Spongebob for "killing" the health inspector with the Nasty Patty, even though it was his idea to make it in the first place.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Krabs is actually willing to give away money to distract the cops, so you know that he is absolutely terrified of getting caught.
- Poor Communication Kills
- Revenge Before Reason: Mr. Krabs and Spongebob invokes this trope on the Health Inspector due to their belief that he was the fake Health Inspector obtaining free food.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial
- Swallowed a Fly: The health inspector swallows a fly before he can take a bite of the 'Nasty Patty' that Spongebob and Mr. Krabs fixed up. They believe that they killed him when they see him lying on the floor.
- Title Drop:SpongeBob: "I call it...the Nasty Patty."
- We Interrupt This Program: Twice, both times referring to what Mr Krabs and Spongebob were doing at that moment.
Airdate: March 1, 2002SpongeBob and Patrick are seen waiting for a package. When the package comes, Squidward jokes that it is a lifetime supply of bubble soap, but it turns out to be a giant TV. SpongeBob and Pat throw the TV away, revealing they only ordered it for the box. Squidward asks if he can have the TV, and Sponge and Pat eventually say yes, but not before telling him about imagination. Squidward happily watches his new TV, while he notices Sponge and Pat playing games (with realistic noises) in their box. Squid tries to spy on them, and replicate the games. He ignores them and watches TV, but every program features boxes. He finally does get to join Sponge and Pat, but it seems to be the duo just making noises. He goes back to his house, and hears the realistic noises. He cannot take it anymore and plays with the box while Sponge and Pat are sleeping. He pretends to drive a racecar, and it works (because a real car, a dumptruck, is starting ignition). He ends up in the dump.
Idiot Box contains examples of (YMMV goes HERE!!!):
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere
- Comically Missing the Point: When Squidward hears Spongebob and Patrick having a tragic mountain-climbing accident, he throws open the box and sees the two of them sitting inside, perfectly unharmed.Squidward: How did you do that??Spongebob: First we establish a base camp at 15,000 feet.
- Gilligan Cut: Squidward doesn't understand why the cardboard box will make noises for SpongeBob and Patrick.Squidward: Why wonít this thing turn on? All right, fine. If you donít want to show me, I donít care! I've got better things to do than pace the floor wondering how you two work this thing. (Cut to Squidward pacing the length of his living room floor) How do those two work that thing?! There's got to be a secret button or a switch or something!
- Jerkwitha Heartof Gold: Squidward, even if briefly. When he hears the climbing accident inside the box, he gestures towards the box with a concerned utter of "Spongebob...?"
- Kids Prefer Boxes: Even though SpongeBob and Patrick aren't kids, but childish adults.
- Mr. Imagination: SpongeBob and Patrick create a world of scenarios with only a cardboard box, much to Squidward's disbelief.
- Literal Metaphor:Patrick: I hope Squidward isn't too down in the dumps today. (Sting)
- Too bad he is. Literally.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Robot Pirate Island.
- Parental Bonus: When SpongeBob and Patrick are pretending that they are mountain climbers, Patrick declares "I AM THE LIZARD KING!"
- Running Gag: Imagination!
- Shaped Like Itself: Spongebob describes all of the things he could be if he used his imagination. Patrick says he could be a Starfish, which Squidward points out he already is. Patrick says this means the imagination is working.
- Your Television Hates You: Squidward is trying to forget about SpongeBob and Patrick playing in their box, but everything on TV is about boxes, even boxing.