Recap: Kim Possible S 2 E 25 Sick Day The Truth Hurts
An episode that consists of two 15-minute unrelated stories:In "Sick Day," the Tweebs catch a nasty cold, which gets passed along to Kim. She still insists on taking a job guarding "Ray X", but fails to stop Drakken and Shego from stealing it. With Kim's mom insisting that she stay in bed, it falls to Ron and the Tweebs to retrieve the device.In "The Truth Hurts," Kim and Ron rescue a captured scientist. Unfortunately, along the way they get hit by Dr. Drakken's "Truth Ray", forcing them to blurt out their honest thoughts. The effect will wear off in a few days, but until then they're stuck with a rather awkward situation, especially Kim as her father's supervisors from the Space Center come over for dinner.
"Sick Day" contains the following tropes:
- Shaggy Dog Story: After a series of adventures in which the Ray X generator gets stolen, almost retrieved, and finally destroyed, with everybody involved catching a cold from somebody else along the way, Kim asks the inventors what the thing actually does. It turns out that it's a cure for the common cold.Kim: I gotta know. What was this X thing designed to do, anyway?Scientists: Cure the common cold.Ron: I hate irony.
- Sick Episode: Almost every major character who appears in the episode gets the cold at some point.
- You Are Fat: Shego makes a particularly snide (even by her standards) remark when she describes Kim as "drinking a lot of fluids... and retaining every ounce".
"The Truth Hurts" contains the following tropes:
- Dinner with the Boss: Mr. Dr. Possible's superiors from the Space Center come to dinner. This proves awkward when Kim blurts out all the negative things her dad says about them (one has a bad hairpiece, one is a pompous know-it-all, and one is a crashing bore). This gets Kim's dad into a rather bad situation with his bosses, until their boss arrives and turns out to be the scientist Kim rescued at the beginning of the episode. The three suck up when the scientist praises the Possible family.
- Kidnapped Scientist: The episode begins with Team Possible rescuing a scientist from Drakken and Shego.
- Truth Serum: Drakken's Truth Ray inflicts the worst-case effect (not only can they not lie, they can't even stay silent) on Kim and Ron. Kim ends up repeatedly embarrassing herself, while Ron actually benefits when his honest remarks get respect from Mr. Barkin and interest from a pretty girl.
- We Have Ways of Making You Talk: Before resorting to the Truth Ray, Drakken tries to force Dr. Wong to talk by making her sit on an ice cube:Wong: Why am I sitting on an ice cube?
Drakken: So you will divulge every detail of your top-secret projects, that's why.
Wong: You make no sense to me.
Shego: Welcome to my life.