Recap / Kim Possible S 2 E 1 Naked Genius
After Ron fails yet another algebra test, Kim & Wade try to help him, but to little avail. Soon, after, he and Kim head to a military base in Iowa to prevent Drakken from getting his hands on "Project Phoebus," a top secret military experiment. During the fight, Rufus is exposed to the project, which turns out to increase one's intellect, and Ron uses him to do well in school. This impresses his teacher, Miss Whisp, who decides to "share your genius with the world", resulting in him creating cold fusion reactors and other things, much to his displeasure.
Meanwhile, Kim & a jealous Wade are suspicious of Ron's newfound intelligence, but their attempts to give him a test fail, as Rufus manages to get all the questions right. So Kim travels to locate Dr. Zeruda, creator of Project Phoebus and now living in a cabin in the woods, where she learns about what it does. At his lair, Drakken attempts to design a new doomsday weapon, but finds himself unable to do so. Seeing a report about Ron's accomplishments on the news, he shows up to one of his lectures and kidnaps him to force him to build the device for him.
While Kim searches for him, she learns from Wade that Rufus is the true genius, which means Ron is in big trouble. After locating Drakken's latest lair, she heads just as Drakken is about to feed Ron to his piranha for failing him. Using a new goo weapon given her by Rufus, she incapacitates the villains, but finds herself surrounded by Drakken's new robot henchmen. Fortunately, Ron's makeshift death ray works and destroy's the robots, allowing them to escape. With Kim's help, Ron gets the hand of algebra, while Wade again tries to prove him genius against Rufus, to no effect.
This episode contains examples of:
- Air-Vent Passageway: But used by Rufus, instead of Kim & Ron.
- All Just a Dream: Played with; Ron wakes up after Miss Whisp gives him an F, then wakes up in class, happy it was all a dream... until Miss Whisp gives him an F anyway.
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: More so than Rufus usually has.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Among Ron's listed accomplishments were designing a new International Space Station, creating the first ever cold fusion reactor and finishing Schubert's unfinished symphony.
- Awesome, but Impractical: The drilling vehicle Drakken wanted to buy, which had heated seats & lumbar support, but, as Shego notes "it also had a sunroof, which, on a subterranean vehicle seemed a little, I don't know, pointless."
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Ron was happy to have Rufus's intelligence to help him pass algebra, but then Miss Whisp made him tour the country doing various speaking engagements.
- Buffy Speak:
Drakken: Why am I not brilliant? Brillianter? More brillianter?
Drakken: This isn't over Kim Possible! You capture us, we'll just come back more evil than before! Eviller? More eviller? Less...not-gooder?
Shego: Please stop talking.
- Call Back: When Kim tells Ron he's capable of doing algebra, there's this exchange:
Ron: Realize my potential? Heard it, lived it, bought the movie rights. Ron Stoppable is "Potential Boy," coming soon to a theater near you.
- Then later, after Kim is suspicious of Ron's new intelligence:
Kim: Saw the sequel to "Potential Boy," it was called "Genius Boy"; good acting, but the plot seemed a little farfetched.
- Elaborate Underground Base: Where Project Phebous is stored by the military.
- Exact Words: After Miss Whisp admits her suspicions that Ron couldn't have done the homework himself, he assures her that no other "person" did the assignment for him.
- Head Desk: The result of Wade's attempts to teach Ron "Ow! Ow! Ow!"
- Hidden in Plain Sight: Drakken's lair appears to be located in the middle of a suburban area, yet no one notices or minds the large lair standing in their midst.
- Mecha-Mooks: Drakken uses robots designed like suits of armor, since his normal henchmen are apparently "at a wedding."
- Which is a Call Back. Drakken explained Shego's absence previously with this as a half remembered reason, which is also the real reason as Nicole Sullivan was attending a wedding when that episode was recorded.
- Noodle Incident: Kim once helped Bernice save her artists colony from a busted dam.
Kim: No big, it was just like patching up a crack in my fishtank back home, only it took a lot more gum.
- Off Model: In the scenes in the military base, Drakken has lines on his chin that make him look older.
- Rhetorical Question Blunder:
Ron: (after learning of Rufus's new genius) Do you know what this means?
Rufus: (shrugs) Uh uh.
Ron: Me neither, but it's got to be good.
- Shout-Out: Wade: "There can be only one!"
- One of Wade's genius test examples is to discuss the popularity of sailor uniforms in Anime note
- Zeruda claims to be old poker buddies with Bill Gates, the late Jonas Salk, creator of the polio vaccine, and the late John Nash, subject of A Beautiful Mind.
- Too Dumb to Live: Kim comments that Ron couldn't count to twelve without taking off his shoes, although he does grow out of it.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: A giant supervillain lair in the middle of a suburban neighborhood.