Recap: Kim Possible S 1 E 21 Low Budget
While helping to save manatees in Florida from a pair of rowdy hicks, Kim gets her pants destroyed by an alligator, and is forced to buy replacements at Smarty Mart, a large chain store that she hates and Ron loves. Once she buys the new pants, she heads back to Middleton to buy a pair from Club Banana (which are essentially identical with the exception of the logo and the price), when an odd accented villain, calling himself Frugal Lucre, demands a dollar from every person on Earth or he'll destroy the Internet, then shuts down all electrical devices in the area, including the Kimmunicator.Resolving to stop Lucre (and get Club Banana back online) Kim is able to get Wade, once his computer recovers, to analyze the video. Hearing an odd noise in the background, Wade isolates it and learns it's a Smarty Mart announcement, meaning Lucre is an employee of the store. Heading to the nearest Smarty Mart, Kim gains access to the manager's office and downloads a list of personnel, identifying Lucre as Francis Lerman. Heading to Philadelphia, Kim & Ron arrive at Lucre's house, but are captured and strung up in a net in his basement lair over a kiddie pool of snapping turtles.Easily escaping the cheap trap, the heroes head to Smarty Mart to stop Lucre from activating his Internet destroying virus via the UPC code of an expired can of Vienna sausages. While Ron searches for the can, Kim chases down Lucre, stopping him by putting an anti-theft tag on his employee vest, causing him to be stopped by the greeter. With the Internet saved, Kim receives a Smarty Mart circular as thanks and learns the store and its' cheap prices aren't so bad...sort of.
This episode provides examples of:
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: After Kim gives Ron her old pants to return, he tells her he's focused, only to immediately be distracted by every single Smarty Mart sale.
- Basement-Dweller: Frugal Lucre lives in his mother's basement (hey, lairs are expensive!).
- Beard of Evil: Lucre has one, but it's fake, and actually falls off during his broadcast.
- Buffy Speak: "But it's so discounty."
- Continuity Nod: The personnel manager has a Z-Boy figurine on her desk.
- Department of Redundancy Department: How can Smarty Mart afford their prices? Two words; volume, & volume.
- Do Not Adjust Your Set: Frugal Lucre's broadcast.
- Embarrassing First Name: As Ron put it "Francis? No wonder the dude's twisted."
- Eye Scream: When caught in the personnel manager's office, Kim pretends she was looking for a lost contact lens, resulting in her pretending to put it in, poking her open eye in the process (complete with tear).
- Mama's Boy: Lucre still lives with his mom (and hopes she'll bail him out at the end).
- Needle in a Stack of Needles: The Internet-destroying virus is incorporated into the barcode of a can of Vienna sausages. Ron searches Smarty Mart for that specific can while Kim chases Lucre.
- Noodle Incident: Kim once saved manatees in Florida, and saved the life of a street sweeper named Paulie by passing out 10,000 fliers about alternate side of the street parking awareness.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Despite his frugality, Lucre did manage to briefly shut down the Internet and also kept Kim at bay as well.
- Skewed Priorities: Kim pretty much admits her reason for stopping Lucre is to get the Club Banana cash registers working again so she can shop.
- That Came Out Wrong:Kim: Cough up the sausages, Lucre!Ron: Ew! Rephrase please.
- Wig, Dress, Accent: Frugal Lucre disguises himself with a bogus accent and stick-on beard and mustache to broadcast his threats.
- You Get What You Pay For: Frugal Lucre's version of a Shark Pool is a kiddie wading pool full of snapping turtles. They immediately retreat into their shells when Kim and Ron get loose from their bonds.