Recap: Kim Possible S 2 E 2 Grudge Match
While at the movies, Ron becomes smitten by the new ticket taker, Zita Flores. Despite Kim's claim otherwise, he feels he has no chance with her due to "the rules," an unwritten code that, among other things, states that "guys like me don't end up with girls like that". Later, the two are called to the Space Center to investigate the theft of robot from scientist Fen, which was supposedly stolen by his former lab partner, Vivian Porter.With Cousin Larry's help, Kim & Ron track Vivian to the Robot Rumble, an underground society of geniuses who fight robots, founded by her boyfriend Oliver. Forced to battle in the ring, Kim uses the Kimmunicator and gets trounced, resulting her in and Ron being banned. Afterwards, Ron makes several attempts to ask Zita out, failing each one; after returning to the Space Center, Fen claims Oliver's robot is his, so he and Kim break into the rumble arena and retrieve it, though not before fighting off another one.Although things seem wrapped up, Kim is still wary, until her dad mentions that he can't believe Fen could ever design a robot on his own. Convinced her suspicions are correct, she heads to the space center, as Oliver & Vivian have arrived, and revals that Vivian built the robot and Fen, jealous he could never make one himself, framed her so he could obtain hers. Using a giant electromagnet, Kim defeats the bitter scientist and reveals that Oliver was a robot, also built by Vivian, who is given a job at the Space Center. Back at the movies, Ron is upset when he finds Zita gone, only to encounter her in the theater, and the two have a "date" of sorts.
This episode provides examples of:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: The robot that Jim & Tim build for the Robot Rumble is this, as it defies its programming and attacks them.
- Blatant Lies: Ron saying he didn't buy a ticket to every movie.
- Bored Now: Kim's initial reaction to Ron's explanation of Zita thinking the pair were a couple was amusement, then boredom.Kim: Ron, I'm gonna say something I never thought I'd say: you're thinking too much.
- Chekhov's Gun: The giant electomagnet in the Space Center.
- Continuity Nod: Cousin Larry shows up again note
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Oliver's robot vs. the Kimmunicator converted into a robot.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Justine Flanner is among the denizens of the Robot Rumble. note .
- Eureka Moment: Mr. Possible commenting that Fen couldn't build a robot on his own, is what makes Kim realize her suspicions about the true inventor of the robot are correct.
- Green-Eyed Monster: The reason for Fen's villainy was that he was jealous Vivian could build a robot and he couldn't.
- Hot Scientist: Vivian; what other scientists are well tanned and wear tube tops?
- Irony: This conversation in response to Ron worrying Zita might get the wrong idea about him and Kim:Kim: You and me...on a date?Ron: It could happen.
- Meet Cute: One of the movies Ron sees, while buying tickets to talk with Zita, is called "Meeting Cute."
- Ridiculously Human Robots: Oliver.
- Robotic Reveal: Oliver, after the electromagnet is turned on him.
- Shipper on Deck: Everyone in the movie theater thinks that Ron is going after his girlfriend, Kim.
- Shout-Out: Robot Rumble is so obviously one to BattleBots
- The scene where a pair of robot legs chases Fen around his lab has been said to be similar to The Wrong Trousers.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Vivian Porter has trouble being taken seriously as a scientist because of her blonde-bombshell looks.