This film provides examples of:
- All-Star Cast
- Catch-22 Dilemma: This story is the trope namer. The soldiers of Pianosa are caught in various illogical binds, mostly from military law.
- The Film of the Book
- Funny Background Event: two officers are having a conversation near the airfield while a B-25 crash-lands behind them. Neither character notices.
- Ironic Echo Cut: A scene features Colonel Cathcart and Colonel Korn, having had enough of Yossarian's troublemaking, ending a meeting with a vow to (metaphorically) "kick him in the balls!" Cut to Yossarian getting literally kneed in the groin by a nurse he'd gotten a little too overly friendly with.
- Pragmatic Adaptation: Many of the characters and incidents from the novel are left out of the film.
- Those Two Actors: For the movie, just try watching scenes between Colonel Cathcart and Chaplain Tappmann without thinking of another film Martin Balsam and Anthony Perkins did ten years before.