Recap: Family Guy S 1 E 6 The Son Also Draws
Airdate: May 9, 1999After Chris is thrown out of the Youth Scouts (which Chris hates anyway), the family (save Brian) head to Manhattan so they can complain to the head office, but a Potty Emergency from Peter leads to a quick stop at an Indian casino — and Lois' addiction to video poker costs the family their car. Meanwhile, Brian gets hooked on watching reruns of One Day At A Time.
"The Son Also Draws" contains example of (YMMV Goes Here):
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: Parodied at the end of the episode when the Griffins make disparaging comments about races or cultures, but immediately pull a "Just Joking" Justification and say good things about them. All except for Peter, who calls Canadians freeloaders and after a pause, reiterates: "Canada sucks."
- Ho Yay: Invoked in the Happy Days cutaway:Richie: Mom, dad, I really like Potsie.
Marion: Why not, dear? Potsie's a very nice boy.
Richie: No, mom, I mean, I really like Potsie.
Howard: We heard you the first time, son; you have a homosexual attraction to Potsie.
Peter: ...Chris, I am going to stand up, walk out of this room and we will never speak of this again.
- Also invoked when Chris tries Meg's advice to kissing Peter so that he'll let him quit the Scouts.
- Ice-Cream Koan: When Peter starts hearing the trees talk to him during his vision quest:Peter: Tree, if one of you falls and there's no one around, do you make a noise?
Tree: Are you kidding? Scott fell last week. He hasn't shut up about it since.
Scott: Sure. Stand there and bitch! But would any of you take the time to help me?!
- Pantomime Animal: One cutaway involved Peter and Chris dressing as a horse to only have to pay one ticket price at the fair.Peter: One, please.
Clerk: Wait a second! Your ass just sneezed! And horses can't talk! No no no, nothing about this adds up at all!
- Pun: Carrot Top at the Indian casino.Carrot Top: (holding a bow) Look, a bow tie. I'm David Bowie. Bo Derek!
Stewie: Very funny! Now tell the one that doesn't suck!
- Repeat What You Just Said:Lois: Everyone in the tribe gets a share in the casino's profits.
Peter: What did you just say?
Lois: "I'm sorry."
Peter: After that.
Lois: "I feel foolish."
Peter: After that.
Lois: Casino's profits.
Peter: Before that.
Lois: Everyone in the tribe.
Peter: Now the whole thing.
Lois: "Everyone in the tribe gets a share in the casino's profits?"
Peter: That's it, let's go.
- STD Immunity: Averted when Peter asks The Fonz if, in all the times he slept with women, he ever got a sexual disease:
- Unusual Euphemism: Schneider from One Day at a Time:Schneider: I'll fix your sink, Miss Romano. And by that I mean I'll have sex with you. And by that, I mean I'll fix your sink. And by sink, I mean your reproductive organ. And by reproductive organ, I mean the thing between your knees. And by the thing between your knees, well, I guess that one's kind of self-explanatory.
- Your Television Hates You: When Brian is watching TV:Man: After years of study, I've discovered the secret to Ionger Iife in canines. And that secret is-
Announcer: We interrupt this program for several episodes of One Day at a Time.