Recap: Family Guy S 1 E 7 Brian Portrait Of A Dog
Airdate: May 16, 1999To win money for a new air conditioner, Peter urges Brian to compete in a dog show, but quits when he's forced to beg for a treat balanced on his nose as he feels it's demeaning to canines. And things get worse when Brian is put in jail for drinking from a human water fountain because of his species...
"Brian, Portrait Of A Dog" contains example of (YMMV Goes Here):
- The Alcoholic: Tom Tucker, who had a few too many Bloody Marys before going on the air.
- Anti-Humor: Peter accuses Meg of this:Meg: It is so hot out there!
Rest of family: How hot is it?
Meg: I don't know. Like, around 98, 99.
Peter: I don't get it.
- Art Shift: When Lois says that Peter and Brian should "go back to the way things used to be", a Cutaway Gag shows Peter and Brian as 1930s-style cartoon characters.
- Comedic Sociopathy / Domestic Abuse: The Eight Is Enough reunion show features a scene where Tom slaps one of his daughters eight times after she made a snarky remark about how he thinks he can fix every problem by making a sandwich. He's calmed down by being told, "Eight is enough!" The Griffins are appalled.
- Fantastic Racism: Brian's plights parallel the Civil Rights Movement. He even mentions the Plessy v. Ferguson case in court. Because of this, this episode has been banned in network syndication (but not cable syndication) from airing during the month of February (which is Black History Month).
- Hidden Heart of Gold: The ending has Brian threatening to kill Peter if he tells anyone that he licked him.
- I Uh You Too: When everyone welcomes Brian home at the end, Stewie merely says, "Dog?" and then bows.
- Montage: Of Brian studying for his trial.