Back to Recap Page
On the island, Yao Fei gives Oliver a short bow and arrow lesson, but when Oliver ventures into the woods to retrieve an arrow, he is captured. Edward Fyers, the leader of the group on the island, shows Oliver a picture of Yao Fei and asks if he knows him; Oliver denies it and Deathstroke tortures him. Yao Fei has a throwdown with Deathstroke and rescues Oliver, later leaving him blocked in his cave.
As Detective Lance questions Oliver, Moira and Walter interrupt and Oliver asks that Laurel represent him. At first, Laurel refuses, but she then struts into Oliver’s hearing to represent him against Kate Spencer. Oliver volunteers to take a polygraph and passes. To have witnesses of him being at home while Diggle is seen as Arrow tracking an arms dealer named Leo Mueller, Oliver throws a party. Laurel shows up to apologize and explain her father’s attitude. A man attacks Oliver at the party, but Detective Lance saves Oliver and drops all charges against him. Later on, Laurel gives Oliver the polygraph results, which she has suspicions about. Arrow takes down Mueller.
Walter secretly meets with the head of security and asks him to move the Queen’s Gambit. Soon after, Walter is informed that the head of security was killed in a mysterious car crash. He then summons Moira to his office to tell her that he found the yacht, and she urges him to stop digging because it is dangerous. Moira meets with the Well-Dressed Man, who sent the assassin after Oliver. Walter leaves for a “business trip” to Australia.
Tropes applying to this Episode:
- Big Damn Kiss: Between Oliver and Laurel. Boy howdy!
- Big Damn Heroes: Twice.
- Flashback: Oliver spends some time being tortured by Deathstroke for information on Yao Fei. Fyers concludes either he has Heroic Resolve or doesn't know anything and tells Deathstroke to kill him. Just before he can, Yao Fei charges in and saves him.
- Present: Oliver has been accused by the police of being the Hood. The Well Dressed Man sends a hitter to kill him and, after a short fight, Det. Lance comes in and shoots the man in the back. He showed up because he was going to remove the ankle monitor, as the Hood was seen across town while Ollie was home at his party.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: By Fyers and his masked henchman of Ollie back on the island.
- Consummate Liar: Oliver can lie so well he fools a polygraph, and Walter confronts Moira about the fact that she's done the same to him for the past two to five years.
- Everyone Has Standards: Despite his hatred of Oliver, Quentin's visibly disturbed at the possibility of Oliver's wounds being self-inflicted.
- Manipulative Bastard: Diggle does not appreciate Oliver manipulating him into providing him with an alibi as the Hood.
- Mythology Gag:
- The episode introduces Deathstroke, confirming he was on the island with Oliver. We're also introduced to Edward Fyers who in the comics is an ally of Green Arrow but is an enemy on the show.
- The mention of fishnets references Black Canary’s costume (Dinah Lance’s alter-ego).
- While only referred to in the episode as “Spencer”, Kate Spencer is a DC Comics character also known as Manhunter.
- Ollie's mugshot number is 73 1941. Green Arrow debuted in More Fun Comics #73 in 1941.
- Title Drop: "Because if people knew, if you knew... you'd see me differently. And not as some... vigilante guy. As damaged."