A sudden storm spell sucks up the town of Magnolia Town into the sky, leaving behind Wendy, Carla, Natsu and Happy. Having been informed by Mystogan that it, along with their friends and guild, have been taken to an alternate world known as Edolas, the four head in with the hopes of saving their friends.
The Edolas Arc
has the following tropes:
- Aborted Arc: Mashima was trying to have the heroes use the world's artificial magic weapons to get through but gave up along the way as it was too complicated.
- Alternate Universe
- Amusement Park of Doom: During the fight against Hughes, who uses his magic to attack the heroes with the park's attractions.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever / Humongous Mecha: Dorma Animu, Faust's mechanical dragon.
- Big Bad: Faust.
- Brought Down to Normal : The heroes initially can't use their magic when they get to Edolas and the whole kingdom of Edolas at the end when the Anima is reversed and all the magic is sucked away.
- Cats Are Mean: The Exceed come off this way at first.
- Deus ex Machina: The Ex-Balls which allow the heroes to use their magic.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Subverted. The Exceed Queen, Shagotte, is quite reasonable and only comes off this way so the humans won't attack her kind.
- Empire with a Dark Secret: Most of the kingdom probably don't know that the lacrima comes from actual living beings.
- Five-Bad Band:
- Gondor Calls for Aid: The Edolas Fairy Tail come to fight off the kingdom's army to save their Earthland counterparts.
- Heel-Face Turn / Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Coco when Faust puts Pantherlily in danger. When she protests, he uses his magic to fry her legs. Likewise Pantherlily joins the heroes later on.
- I Choose to Stay: This was Lisanna's initial decision as she didn't want to upset her Edolas siblings (who mistook her for their Lisanna who really died). But with the reversal of the magic in Edolas, it rendered this moot. Though her Edolas's siblings already knew she wasn't their sibling and give her a heartfelt goodbye as she heads back to Earthland.
- I Have No Son: Faust to Mystogan.
- Important Haircut: Knightwalker does this after being defeated once by Erza so her troops can tell them apart.
- Irony: Carla posing as a princess to get the Edolas army to back off. Then it turns out she's the daughter of Shagotte, which means she really is a princess.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Queen Shagotte is Carla's mother though Shagotte holds off on telling her this.
- Same thing with Lucky and Marl, who are Happy's parents.
- Mirror Match: Erza Scarlet vs. Erza Knightwalker.
- Shout-Out: Knightwalker's weapon is very similar to Haru's from Rave Master
- Tomato Surprise: 1) Mystogan is actually the Jellal of Edolas. Not only that but he's the prince of the kingdom. 2) Carla "mission" to destroy Dragon Slayers is not real and just a result of a lie of the Exceed queen to protect the Exceed newborns. 3) The Lisanna in the Edolas Fairy Tail is actually the Earthland's Lisanna who got accidentally sucked into one of the Anima portals and ended up in Edolas.
- Zero Approval Gambit: Natsu does this to help Mystogan out and have someone to blame for the loss of magic so the kingdom won't fall from panic.