Recap: Fairy Tail Edolas Arc
Chapters: 165-199, Episodes: 76-95
The Edolas Arc has the following tropes:
Short SummaryA sudden storm spell sucks up the town of Magnolia Town into the sky, leaving behind Wendy, Carla, Natsu and Happy. Having been informed by Mystogan that it, along with their friends and guild, have been taken to an alternate world known as Edolas, the four head in with the hopes of saving their friends.
The Edolas Arc has the following tropes:
- Aborted Arc: Mashima was trying to have the heroes use the world's artificial magic weapons to get through but gave up along the way as it was too complicated.
- Alternate Universe
- Amusement Park of Doom: During the fight against Hughes, who uses his magic to attack the heroes with the park's attractions.
- And I Must Scream: The entire Fairy Tail guild is trapped in crystal and will be converted into magic itself.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever / Humongous Mecha: Dorma Animu, Faust's mechanical dragon.
- Big Bad: Faust.
- Brought Down to Normal : The heroes initially can't use their magic when they get to Edolas and the whole kingdom of Edolas at the end when the Anima is reversed and all the magic is sucked away.
- Cats Are Magic: The Exceed are viewed as gods in Edolas. Subverted, they are not really as powerful as they seem and hide behind the legend of their god-like abilities.
- Cats Are Mean: The Exceed come off this way at first.
- Cats Are Superior: The Exceed think very little of human beings at first.
- Deus ex Machina: The Ex-Balls which allow the heroes to use their magic.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Subverted. The Exceed Queen, Shagotte, is quite reasonable and only comes off this way so the humans won't attack her kind.
- Empire with a Dark Secret: Most of the kingdom probably don't know that the lacrima comes from actual living beings.
- Evil Old Folks: Faust and Byro.
- Faux Affably Evil: Faust and Knightwalker.
- Five-Bad Band:
- Foreshadowing: Dorma Anim is stated to have dragon-like armor that makes it impervious to all magic, but the Dragon Slayer trio can harm it just fine. Turns out that real dragons are just as Nigh Invulnerable.
- Gondor Calls for Aid: The Edolas Fairy Tail come to fight off the kingdom's army to save their Earthland counterparts.
- Heel-Face Turn / Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Coco when Faust puts Pantherlily in danger. When she protests, he uses his magic to fry her legs. Likewise Pantherlily joins the heroes later on.
- Human Resources: The Fairy Tail guild and the Exceed are being harnessed for Edolas' magical power.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Despite all the talk about the Exceed being monsters, King Faust and his people are the main antagonists of the arc.
- I Choose to Stay: This was Lisanna's initial decision as she didn't want to upset her Edolas siblings (who mistook her for their Lisanna who really died). But with the reversal of the magic in Edolas, it rendered this moot. Though her Edolas's siblings already knew she wasn't their sibling and give her a heartfelt goodbye as she heads back to Earthland.
- I Have No Son: Faust to Mystogan.
- Important Haircut: Knightwalker does this after being defeated once by Erza so her troops can tell them apart.
- Irony: Carla posing as a princess to get the Edolas army to back off. Then it turns out she's the daughter of Shagotte, which means she really is a princess.
- Kick the Dog: Well more like "kick the cats." The king's troops are planning to kill the Exceed.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Queen Shagotte is Carla's mother though Shagotte holds off on telling her this.
- Same thing with Lucky and Marl, who are Happy's parents.
- Mirror Match: Erza Scarlet vs. Erza Knightwalker.
- Mirror Universe: The setting takes place in one.
- The Power of Love: Not romantic love, but the love of there people is what convinces the Exceed to save their homeland.
- Sanity Slippage: Faust and Knightwalker aren't as together as they seem.
- Shout-Out: Knightwalker's weapon is very similar to Haru's from Rave Master, only it's now a spear instead of a sword.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Erza calls out her Evil Counterpart on her beliefs.
- Taken for Granite: Anyone trapped in a magic source.
- That Came Out Wrong: Gajeel's statements about making Pantherlily into his cat.
- Tomato Surprise: 1) Mystogan is actually the Jellal of Edolas. Not only that but he's the prince of the kingdom. 2) Carla "mission" to destroy Dragon Slayers is not real and just a result of a lie of the Exceed queen to protect the Exceed newborns. 3) The Lisanna in the Edolas Fairy Tail is actually the Earthland's Lisanna who got accidentally sucked into one of the Anima portals and ended up in Edolas.
- Would Hit a Girl: Byro has no problem attacking Lucy.
- Would Hurt a Child: Faust and Byro have no qualms about killing them.
- You Monster!: Erza calls out her Evil Counterpart on the horrible things she's done.
- Zerg Rush: All the kings men rely on this tactic. They're later on the receiving end when Fairy Tail comes to the rescue.
- Zero-Approval Gambit: Natsu does this to help Mystogan out and have someone to blame for the loss of magic so the kingdom won't fall from panic.