"Here we go, people..."The Music Video Show
is a comedic web series that features The Black In Hat reviewing one music video a week. Since the fourth episode, he decides whether or not he would watch the video again. It debuted on September 23 2013. The web series can be found here
The show provides examples of the following tropes:
- Accentuate the Negative Reviews music videos and points out the flaws in all of them, whether or not they are worth repeat viewings.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: In-Universe
- Believes Soulja Boy made Yaaah! because of a result of Tourettes Syndrome.
- The bus driver in the Backstreet Boys' "Backstreet's Back" music video is high when he leaves the band in the seemingly abandoned house...to be fair, he seems to be holding a blunt in his hand.
- In episode 7, God is trying to kill the lead singer of Creed.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment:
"So the rest of the video is just her
posing...and she does a pretty good job at it. She's posing as a singer, someone we should give a crap about..."
- Bait-and-Switch Comparison: In episode 1, Metallica goes to a prison to perform songs for prisoners.
"Those poor poor guys... being forced to listen to new Metallica live."
is dressed as Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
. So, one half of his face is deformed and hideous...and the other is blue and scaly.
"I don't know which band is worse. Creed
or Hinder. You have one band that writes nothing but overwrought, overemotional songs that numb the brain...there is no difference between Creed
- Caustic Critic
- Cliché Storm: In-Universe
- The music video in episode 7 is described as this.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Even Evil Has Standards
- In the first episode, a bunch of prisoners listen to Metallica play songs...from St. Anger.
"They're already in prison...haven't they suffered enough?"
- Felony Misdemeanor In episode 8, Fall Out Boy is about to be burned alive.
"You guys do kind of deserve it after you butchered a Michael Jackson
song...and getting John Mayer to do the (guitar) solo."
- Halloween Episode: Episode 5
- Split Screen
- Take That
"We don't need a Meg White
, we need someone who can play the drums."
"So, one of the guys is dressed as The Phantom of the Opera. Hey, he's no Gerard Butler
but, at least he can sing."
"If I wanted to be in pain and misery, I'd go see an Irate Gamer
"You guys aren't destroying Nickelback products, you're destroying products from a band that can kind of write music."
- Suspiciously Specific Denial
- In episode 9, "You don't see me taking a bunch of Creed albums, putting them in a garbage truck and setting the truck on fire." To be fair, the battery for the camera died before he could do it.
- Tempting Fate: In episode 2:
"First, Shaquille O Neal
ruins movies for me, now he's ruined music. If there is a God, no one will give him his own video game." Cut to after the credits where he discovers something
on his laptop.
- Video Review Show