Web Video: The Music Video Show
What's the worst that could happen?
"Here we go, people..."The Music Video Show
is a comedic web series that features The Black In Hat reviewing one music video a week. Since the fourth episode, he decides whether or not he would watch the video again. It debuted on September 23 2013. The web series can be found here
The show provides examples of the following tropes:
- Abusive Parents: Implied. Says having a psychotic Santa laughing in your face is better than having his drunk father try to choke him while he's sleeping.
- It's implied that his father abused him and, in a blind rage, killed both his parents.
- Accentuate the Negative Reviews music videos and points out the flaws in all of them, whether or not they are worth repeat viewings.
- Acceptable Targets In-universe
- Creed is the butt of many jokes.
- Achievements in Ignorance
- In episode 30, he puts a DV cassette tape into a VHS player.
- Affectionate Parody Episode 43 is The Black In Hat as The Cinema Snob.
- And Now For Something Completely Different Episode 43.
- The Alcoholic Is shown passed out drunk in episode 24 and is the reason why he got through three Chris Brown videos in a row.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Loves to do this.
- Believes Soulja Boy made Yaaah! because of a result of Tourettes Syndrome.
- The bus driver in the Backstreet Boys' "Backstreet's Back" music video is high when he leaves the band in the seemingly abandoned house...to be fair, he seems to be holding a blunt in his hand.
- In episode 7, God is trying to kill the lead singer of Creed.
- In another video, Creed are aliens who make music for a group of people who go to their concert and abduct them through a spaceship that is above them, yet no one seems to notice. Then, when the band kills them, they change their music for another group of people and do the same thing.
- In episode 10, he believes the woman crashed her car into oncoming traffic because she found her boyfriend's Creed CD collection in the glove compartment.
- Justin Bieber is a ninja.
- The bad Santa Claus kidnapped Brandon Flowers because his wife left him. He's not bad, he's just lonely.
- The next episode takes it a bit further. There's a Santa Claus in jail in the Crazy Frog video while there's a psychotic one blowing up a gas station in The Killers's video.
- The reason the Santa Claus in the Crazy Frog video has a jail cell? He has a darker side no one knows about and stores the really bad kids in it...and never lets them out.
- Kevin Federline is a gambler. He's the reason why Britney Spears was in a bit of legal trouble in her darker years.
- Obamacare was the reason the world looked a post-Apocalyptic Soviet America in the My Chemical Romance video.
- Gwen Stefani is showing signs of a midlife crisis in her Hollaback Girl video.
- James Blunt is a clone of someone cloned over and over again.
- Alicia Keys is a Stalker with a Crush
- The Bad Guy Wins: Episode 50 has Dylan takes away Pinkie, leaving Laine alone.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment:
"So the rest of the video is just her
posing...and she does a pretty good job at it. She's posing as a singer, someone we should give a crap about..."
"I don't know why people see Kevin Federline as a one hit wonder...I can't see this guy topping a song that went nowhere."
- Bait-and-Switch Comparison: In episode 1, Metallica goes to a prison to perform songs for prisoners.
"Those poor poor guys... being forced to listen to new Metallica live."
is dressed as Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
. So, one half of his face is deformed and hideous...and the other is blue and scaly.
"I don't know which band is worse. Creed
or Hinder. You have one band that writes nothing but overwrought, overemotional songs that numb the brain...there is no difference between Creed
- Berserk Button: "ROCK MUSIC DOES NOT HAVE AUTOTUNE!"
- Played for Drama in episode 34 when Dylan talks about his mom, resulting in Laine pulling out a knife. "If you don't leave right now, I will slash places on your body that ARE NOT YOUR ARMS!"
- Brick Joke In episode 3, "The end of the world will not happen if there are no songs about playing video games all day." Cue episode 25. It didn't happen but episode 50 reveals something worse.
- Broken Bird Confirmed at in the end of episode 42.
- Caustic Critic
- Cerebus Syndrome Watch episode 6. Now watch episode 42. Though, it's still comedic, something has changed. Then, there are episodes 49 and 50. The third season will NOT be as fun as the 1st season.
- Cliché Storm: In-Universe
- The music video in episode 7 is described as this.
- Comically Missing the Point: In Episode 13, a crooked Santa breaks down a children's home with his motorcycle. His response? "Uhhh, we have a chimney."
- Cloning Blues: James Blunt and The Black In Hat, himself at the end of episode 19.
- Cloudcuckoolander: The above image has him about to smoke a LIGHT BULB. He's probably sane. Also, his love interest? A Fluttershy plushie.
- Credits Gag
- Deadpan Snarker
- Death Glare Gives one at the beginning of the 18th episode.
- Designated Hero He calls out Mariah Carey on this in episode 20 and Adam Levine from Maroon 5 in episode 36.
- Downer Ending: Episode 25 ends with the Black In Hat locking himself in a bunker with the end of the world happening offscreen. Episode 26 states it never happened. However, in episode 50, it is revealed that Laine killed his parents and he was hiding out from the world. It's even worse when you consider the screams heard were probably his parents being killed and they were in his head.
- Early Installment Weirdness The first couple of episodes had instances of low volume, the split screens were a bit off, the split second transitions and the video was shot in front of a white wall. Starting in episode 4, there is an opening theme song and, later episodes would fix the volume issues, the split second transitions were gone, the split screen problems were worked out a bit better. In episode 26, the series was shot on a couch, instead of a white background.
- On top of that, the first three episodes seem a bit unfinished compared to the episodes that followed. He doesn't say whether or not he would watch the video again and the video would end after a joke.
- Emo Teen Dylan.
- Even Evil Has Standards
- In the first episode, a bunch of prisoners listen to Metallica play songs...from St. Anger.
"They're already in prison...haven't they suffered enough?"
- Felony Misdemeanor In episode 8, Fall Out Boy is about to be burned alive.
"You guys do kind of deserve it after you butchered a Michael Jackson
song...and getting John Mayer to do the (guitar) solo."
- Foreshadowing: In episode 48, there is a split second where Laine puts a knife to Pinkie's throat. And then in episode 50, you find out who gave it to him and what happened to them.
- Halloween Episode: Episode 5 and Episode 43.
- Hypocritical Humor:
- In episode 21: "This part of the video uses split screen? Yeah, how original." Said when the video is using, and uses, split screen images.
- In episode 27: "There's a time and place to cross dress, just not on camera." See Halloween Episode above.
- Madness Mantra: I am the Paper Bag Princess. I am the Paper Bag Princess.
- Mood Whiplash: In episode 25, the world is being destroyed and people are heard screaming with Laine's face in utter hopelessness...cue the song Video Games by Black Out.
- No Ending: Episode 38.
- Nice Hat: The skull tuque introduced in episode 26.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: The credit gag at the beginning of episode 15.
- Real Men Wear Pink Has a Pinkie Pie plushie shown at the end of episode 26.
- Sad Clown Either this or Stepford Smiler.
- Sanity Slippage: Arguably happens in season 2. Although had a few quirks in the first season (smoking a light bulb, for one example), it wasn't too bad. However, after what happened at its season finale, something is a bit...off. For one, his best friend, and love interest, are a Pinkie Pie and a Fluttershy plushie, respectively. He's also becoming a bit of an alcoholic, as noted in episode 33. Then, there was that thing that happened in episode 32 and happens through future episodes. May have something to do with that journal...This is confirmed at the end of episode 42.
- Dylan: You have to snap out of it sooner or...(disappears)
- It gets even worse in episode 49. See WHAM Episode below. And then episode 50...
- So Okay, It's Average Considers the video for Separate Ways this.
- Split Screen
- Stable Time Loop: In episode 12, he calls himself from episode 11 to tell who could kiss the lead singer from The Darkness under the mistletoe. His past self laughs, says he doesn't care and hangs up.
- Take That
"We don't need a Meg White
, we need someone who can play the drums."
"So, one of the guys is dressed as The Phantom of the Opera. Hey, he's no Gerard Butler
but, at least he can sing."
"If I wanted to be in pain and misery, I'd go see an Irate Gamer
"You guys aren't destroying Nickelback products, you're destroying products from a band that can kind of write music."
- He gives one to Kevin Federline. "Wait, this guy isn't Vanilla Ice. This guy's not NEARLY as talented."
- He gives one to The Real Housewives franchise after seeing K-Fed gamble what he assumes his Britney Spears's money. "If he were a woman, he would be one of the women of one of the Real Housewives shows."
- To keep it short, the entire 15th episode is nothing but Take That jokes against Kevin Federline.
- Episode 17 has one against Windows Vista.
"At some point, the video freezes. This has been brought to you by Windows Vista."
- There is a jab at Madonna in episode 18.
is trying to be hip for the kids, she's alienating everyone who liked her in the first place...she's trying to be Madonna...please don't be Madonna...otherwise, the midlife crisis will last for decades."
- And from another episode: "Ah the 90s...back when Gwen Stefani was considered a musician."
- Now, Eddie Murphy could do something he couldn't for most of the 90s and 2000s...be funny."
- Suspiciously Specific Denial
- Tempting Fate: In episode 2:
"First, Shaquille O Neal
ruins movies for me, now he's ruined music. If there is a God, no one will give him his own video game." Cut to after the credits where he discovers something
on his laptop.
- That Came Out Wrong
- Episode 12: "So, people. Here we go. Justin Bieber's Mistletoe." (beat) I...I didn't mean it like that."
- The Unintelligible:
- Describes Eddie Murphy's singing voice as this in episode 9.
- This Is Gonna Suck
- The first joke in episode 1: "St. Anger by Metallica. God have mercy on our souls."
- Has his face buried in his hands when he has to look at "Hollaback Girl" in episode 18.
- The beginning of episode 24. Full stop.
- They Just Didn't Care:
- Video Review Show
- WHAM Episode : In episode 42, it has been officially confirmed that Laine is losing his mind. And it's not Played for Laughs.
- Episode 49 has Dylan admitted that he is the Devil. And Fluttershy is not real.
- Episode 50 has Dylan telling Laine that he killed his parents in a fit of rage. and in the last scene, Dylan takes away Pinkie.
- WHAM Line: From episode 49.
Laine: You put her dow...
Dylan: Don't bother. Not real.
Laine: But he has Flutters...
- And then there is the last few seconds of Episode 50.
Laine: Pinkie? Pinkie?