A Video Review Show
created by Christi “The Diva” Esterle in 2012, Musical Hell
is hosted by Diva
, a Noble Demon With An F In Evil
who has been shuffled off onto a small expansion shelf somewhere between the third and fourth circles of the Inferno. There, her job is to evaluate and punish the sins of the worst movie musicals ever created. The series posts once a month to RVT
, RT Gomer Productions
, and its own site
runs in tandem with ‘’Know the Score,’’ a Lighter and Softer
companion piece that discusses soundtracks, film and stage musicals, theme songs, and any other form of “dramatic music” that happens to strike Diva’s fancy.
Musicals on which Diva has passed judgement:
Musical Hell provides examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: The series premise is identifying and punishing the “sins” of its subjects. Inverted with the “Saving Grace,” which highlights positive elements that shine out in spite of the rest of the film.
- Actually Pretty Funny
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Probably to be expected in this case.
- Call Back:
- Dance Party Ending: At the end of the King and I episode, complete with Creator Cameo.
- Ear Worm In-Universe: The ones found in Mamma Mia! are especially vexing, as is “Wonderful Christmastime.”
- Early-Installment Weirdness: Diva is more haughty and superior-sounding in the first few installments, before her harried Punch Clock Villain persona was established.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Diva can get rather repulsed by some of her subjects, especially movies that are lazy, cynical cash grabs.
- While acknowledging that his film adaptation of A Little Night Music was terrible, Diva couldn't bear to condemn Hal Prince.
- Evil Is Petty: “I’m a demon. I don’t do fair.”
- Foreshadowing: In the session for The Pirate Movie, Diva points out that Mabel "dresses like a reject from Xanadu", the same Xanadu she ended up taking on sometime later.
- Guilty Pleasures: Repo, Jekyll and Hyde, and Rent are ultimately acknowledged as such.
- Hold Your Hippogriffs: “What the Here?” among many others.
- Infernal Bureaucracy: Naturally. It is Hell, after all.
- Ironic Hell: Her punishments tend towards this, with a side of Cool and Unusual Punishment.
- Mad Libs Catchphrase: “Greetings, mortals, welcome to another session of the infernal court in Musical Hell. I’m Diva, your judge, jury, executioner and [something pertinent to that episode’s topic].
- Minion with an F in Evil: She tries, but she’s not very good at it.
- Oh My Gods!: “Sweet Lucifer!”
- Overly Long Name: “Diva” is a pseudonym; her true name is apparently two hundred and sixty-seven syllables long.
- Punch Clock Villain
- Reassigned to Antarctica
- So Okay, It's Average: Diva was surprised when she found Rock and Rule to be this, and doesn't condemn the characters or production staff to anything, instead opting to order them to study self-help books.
- The Voice: Artistic representations exist, and she’s been known to manifest as a burst of flame or inside an inanimate object, but Diva herself is never seen onscreen.
Know the Score contains examples of: