From Justin to Kelly is a 2003 film that is a VERY loose adaptation of American Idol.After the first season of American Idol proved a massive success, the network executives began to think of other ways to milk the brand for all it was worth. What they decided to do was adapt what is essentially a karaoke talent show into a musical beach comedy film starring the contractually obligated winner and runner up of American Idol's first season, Kelly Clarkson and Justin Guarini. Clarkson plays Kelly Taylor, a cautious Texan waitress going to Florida for spring break with her two friends. Guarini plays Justin Bell, a "wild" college student from Pennsylvania who, with his two friends, run a party service and are also going to Florida for spring break. Justin and Kelly meet and quickly fall in love but struggle with their differences and the manipulations of Kelly's jealous friend.Subplots include Justin's friend Eddie trying to find a girl he met on the internet, Kelly's friend Kaya falling for a local busboy, and Justin's friend Brandon constantly getting in trouble with a policewoman.Regarded as one of the worst movies ever made, the film failed miserably with both the box office and with critics, so much that the studio got in trouble with theaters due to how fast they tried to put the film on home video. Additionally, the film's soundtrack was never officially released due to how poor the reception was.
This film shows examples of:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Luke, a cowboy from Kelly's hometown, has a crush on her, despite her repeatedly telling him she only likes him as a friend.
- All Women Are Prudes: Kelly almost washes her hands of Justin after finding out he runs a party service and set up a whipped cream bikini contest.
- Black Best Friend: Kaya to Kelly and Alexa.
- Crowd Song: "The Bounce" and "That's The Way (I Like It)"
- Dance of Romance: How Justin and Kelly meet.
- Dance Party Ending
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Alexa. At one point, Kaya even point-blank asks Kelly: "Why are we friends with her again?"
- Green-Eyed Monster: Alexa tries to steal Justin from Kelly because she's jealous about how Kelly and Kaya both found love.
- Heel–Face Turn: Alexa has one toward the end of the movie and tells Justin about all that she had done, leading to him and Kelly officially making up.
- Hollywood Nerd: Eddie for liking the internet and using it to meet a girl.
- I Just Want to Be You: Alexa reveals that her motivation for trying to sabotage Kelly and Justin's relationship was because she wanted guys to see her the way guys saw her (I.e. See her for who she is and not just a hot party girl)
- Informed Attribute: Kelly and Justin apparently fell in love at first sight, which the film does a rather poor job of showing. For example, during their love song duet, they're about eight feet away from one another and don't even look at each other.
- Protagonist Title
- Running Gag: Eddie and Brandon each have their own: Eddie continually failing to meet up with a girl he was dating online and Brandon getting tickets from the same police officer for his party antics.
- Token Evil Teammate: Alexa.
- Villain Song: "Wish Upon a Star".