"Cockney rhyming slang for the good stuff; Proof that one song is all you need"James Hillier Blount (born 22 February 1974), better known by his stage name James Blunt, is a British singer-songwriter who rose to fame in 2004 with the megahit "You're Beautiful". It got played to death on the radio, to the point the a lot of people were heartily sick of the sound of his voice. Coupled with other artists being shunted off festival bills in favour of Blunt due to his newfound prominence, there was a huge backlash amongst the British public under the rather blunt catchphrase "James Blunt is a c**t".Blunt however was unfazed by this and due to his solid work ethic, support for charities and continuing to release popular albums and singles, the hate has mostly faded from the public consciousness and Blunt has gone on to sell over twenty million albums. In 2016 he semi-humorously passed on his "is a c**t" moniker to a controversial UK politician.
—James Blunt, in his Twitter bio
- Album Title Drop: In his song "I can't hear the music" from his second album All The Lost Souls:"And when you sell your soul for a leading role; will the lost souls be forgotten?"
- Barefoot Suicide: In the video for "You're Beautiful," Blunt goes through a ritualized suicide where he partially undresses, including taking off his shoes and socks, then jumps off a cliff into water.
- Bowdlerise: In the radio version of "You're Beautiful", "fucking high" got changed to "flying high".
- Call-Back: His 2017 single "Love Me Better" includes the sentence "Would have said you're beautiful but I've used that line before".
- The Captain: He was a British Army officer (and rose to this rank) for six years, who served in Kosovo during the 1999 NATO bombing campaign and was instrumental in resolving a incipient crisis between NATO troops and Russian troops of the occupation of Pristina airport by querying an order from US General Wesley Clark to use force against Russian troops in possession of the airport.
- Deadpan Snarker: Seriously, just read his Twitter feed. You troll Blunt at your own risk; he is the master of the comeback.Random tweeter: Now I have James Blunt stuck in my head
JB: And my balls on your chin.
- Four More Measures: His famous song "You're Beautiful". Especially notable as the singer himself screws it up deliberately in the version released to the public. The "Weird Al" Yankovic parody lampshades this fact.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: From "Annie":"But the walls came tumbling down, down / Will you go down on me?"
- His Own Worst Enemy: Some of his songs concern this, for example "Same Mistake" and "Tears and Rain".(from "Same Mistake"): And so I sent some men to fight / and one came back at death of night / Said he'd seen my enemy / said he looked just like me / So I set out to cut myself, and here I go.
- Protest Song: "No Bravery" is an anti-war song where Blunt tells what he's seen when he was in Kosovo.
- Scatting: Appears in 3 chords in "You're beautiful" and at the end of "Out of my Mind".
- Recycled Lyrics: Hilariously defied in "Love me better":
- Self-Deprecation: At the height of the overplaying of "You're Beautiful" and the "James Blunt is a c**t" backlash, Blunt appeared on an episode of Top Gear and promptly won over both the audience and the viewing public by cheerfully demonstrating his total willingness to take the piss out of himself, his music and the ridiculous hype about the song.
- "If you thought 2016 was bad - I'm releasing an album in 2017."
- Unfortunate Names: "James Blunt" became cockney rhyming slang for cunt.